Frankly

Episode 2: 14 October

Guests: Em Rusciano, screenwriter Hannah Carroll Chapman, renewable electricity advocate Dr Saul Griffith, plus music from Mulga Bore Hard Rock.

Most of the criticism was about a talk show being given to a journalist rather than a comic. The ABC being way too safe (boring) when it comes to content, not her age.

1 Like

Age was definitely a factor in the commentary and in many respects, it’s a fair criticism, the ABC cannot complain about struggling to attract younger viewers when they don’t bother considering the production of content that they might actually watch. The number and range of voices promoted by the ABC are shrinking rapidly.

The ABC is increasingly coming across as being a fiefdom to a select few that has to be defended no matter the cost - tripe like this article does nothing to shake that.

Shows with some “young hosts” on ABC in recent times include: Courtney Act’s One Plus One, The Set with Dylan Alcott and Win The Week. They didn’t rate all that flash.

With Frankly, I have watched both episodes. They’ve been okay so far. But the show is “too safe” and too simplistic.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ABC operations

100% - i tuned in to see Kirsten Banks (I follow her on Tik Tok) and it felt real rushed. i feel like they could have dropped a guest and given the other 2 extra time.

Look at the author. I like PK as a host - Radio national breakfast is bookmarked on my work pc and i listen to stories off it every morning, and the party room is a great podcast - which she co-hosts with Fran. I think the problem is that PK is too close to Fran to be objective.

No one is saying she’s too old (that ive seen). the issue is that the show is too tight, too edited and it has no space to explore. if i was the producer, we would drop down to 2 guests per week and give them time - or look at expanding to 45 mins

2 Likes

The ABC has provided a sneak peek of tonight’s episode 3.

1 Like

Starting this Friday, Frankly is being extended to 40 minutes from the original 30. There were a number of comments of not enough time in the early episodes.

2 Likes

Episode 4 - October 28

Another really good episode tonight.

Does she have stand ups or musical performances

There will be musical performance from time to time. For example, Colin Hay will perform on this week’s show.

Other guests include Wil Anderson and biomedical engineer Jordan Nguyen.

Season Final on Friday 25 November

1 Like
2 Likes

The show wasn’t too bad overall. The show found some pace, after a slow safe start. It went from a 30 minute show to 40 minutes long. But didn’t gain many viewers, i guess. And since it wasn’t announced it was returning earlier this year, no surprises that it has been axed.

Shame. I enjoyed this show. A good mix of guests on a show we don’t have anything else like it on air atm.

2 Likes
1 Like