Foxtel

@akymbo82 Disney, peacock, HBO Max all are starting 5 years after Netflix too

Foxtel is not the only company to have misread streaming

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, the others have now started it, but if Fox management took Presto seriously than it’s wouldn’t be now trying to start a new one now, with even more competition.

While the likes of Disney etc where developing Fox was doing what?

1 Like

You’ve conveniently ignored Foxtel Now and Kayo. This current streaming service they’re working on will be their 4th attempt at one. It’s taking forever to launch, I’ll give you that, but your assessment is written as if Foxtel have done literally nothing.

1 Like

Patrick Delaney in The Australian on Friday:

I think part of the reason why Foxtel may not have been ‘fully invested’ in streaming is around legacy - they have a significant investment in equipment and infrastructure to support their business - streaming potentially disrupts this investment.

This was always going to be an issue - it started out with Netflix holding the keys to the good content, now its shifting back towards the content owners doing their own thing.

Part of the problem with Foxtel Now was that it was clear from the start that Foxtel’s interest in it was minimal - we’ve seen it morph into a potentially expensive alternative to their own product that offers less

4 Likes

Sorry not at all, didn’t meant to leave Kayo out, but that is a sports based streaming service which is good, and different to the rest of the market.

I did however completely forget about Foxtel Now, as I have always thought it to be part of the subscription to the whole kit. I haven’t had FoxtelNow; the rest I have.

Was much thought put into Now was it a quick it will fill the gap on the leaking boat, while we think of something different?

Yeah I agree. If they launched their streaming service tomorrow, with their current content deals they’d only have 3-5 years of content available.

FX is owned by Disney now, and when that deal expires with FOXTEL it’s almost certain it’ll be pulled from FOXTEL and into Disney+ or Hulu or whatever brand they go with.

The HBO deal has a couple of years left, enough time for HBO Max to get bedded down in the US and other countries, and I’d say there’s a good chance they’ll launch HBO Max here with all the content that will be pulled from FOXTEL.

They have new deals with NBC and Discovery but I think they’re non exclusive as Stan and Fetch will have the content too. Same with the BBC.

Viacom and CBS are with Stan at the moment, I can’t see FOXTEL picking them up any time soon, they’ll either stay with Stan or move to All Access (if CBS care about it, which doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment, it’s pretty poor). Starz is with Stan as well, I reckon they’ll stay there as they’re not big enough or well known enough to have their own streaming service in Australia.

Doesn’t leave much, does it? They’ve left it too late, I agree.

“Try” is being polite. There were hardly any TV apps, even the phone apps were neglected; when the iPhone changed size they never recompiled their app to take advantage of it, so it stayed blurry.

I think that’s comparing apples and oranges; also Disney and NBC were on Netflix.

They effectively have done nothing though until Kayo. They may have had good intentions to start with, but once they saw the primary service get cannibalised they smother the upstart.

FOXTEL Now is a great example, it launched with good pricing, $10 for a pack with no base pack needed. Now you need an expensive $25 base pack which ruins the whole value proposition; you’re better off with satellite.

Even as a FOXTEL customer, their non-linear offerings have been all over the place. They literally want customers to sit slack jawed in front of the TV watching stuff they pick at the times they pick.

3 Likes

Foxtel did themselves a disservice with their complete opposition to the FTTP NBN solution. They could have embraced this and converted their satellite and cable services to running over NBN either as streaming like Netflix or through one of the 4 connections to each house in the fibre. Both would have been options to move into the 21st century with their product delivery, remain competitive and I’d imagine save costs.

6 Likes

@akymbo82

Also developing. They are only 6 months behind. Which when you consider the might and muscle and money and brains behind one of the biggest entertainment companies on earth (Disney) and a largely tiny cable company in Australia… well… put things in context

Yes foxtel missed the boat

So did seven

And so had ten

But hindsight is a wonderful thing

How does it work when the HBO contract is up in 2022, if they don’t launch HBO Max, and Stan pays enough could Stan potentially get HBO as well as retaining Showtime?

2 Likes

Sky Racing 2 on Foxtel to be included in basic pack from March 26

7 Likes

About time.

About time they did this! Now they just have to make it HD :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

All Sky Racing channels or just Sky Racing 2? FAQ suggests all

The other two channels are already on the base package

1 Like

Thanks. I forgot that I’m a Foxtel Now subscriber. No Sky Racing for me

1 Like

What’s the go with Foxtel in apartments? I live in a resort type complex which has permanent residents. I have 10 blank channels on my tv and apparently it’s for when you have Foxtel. Once in awhile a channel will work bit the picture quality is compressed to bits.

1 Like

I’ve got access to sport channels on Foxtel Now which I dont normally have - have Foxtel done the same on Sat/Cable?

My Foxtel Now still has the sports channels locked.

Sounds like one of those old motel/hotel style setups?

1 Like