Foxtel

The irony is in the tone of the daily telegraph article that if the sports like rugby don’t go with them then they will decline. It’s like fox is a relevancy when they have such low reach compared to free to air.

2 Likes

News are going to spin the story to suit Foxtel - that’s no real surprise and in some respects, it’s working, its getting coverage on other outlets and starting to generate discussion.

Allegedly its the first time that RA has gone to the open market for TV rights - Foxtel are obviously unhappy with that given their long term relationship, but in some respects, Foxtel are right in saying that Rugby is becoming a lower-tier sport in Australia, pathetic on-field performances and some questionable off-field decisions arent helping the cause either.

Foxtel may not be able to deliver the reach that FTA can, but FTA isn’t really in a position to deliver the same level of money. This is where RA have to work out how to walk the tightrope in a way that delivers the best benefit - be that Fox/FTA, FTA Only or FTA and another player (probably Optus)

6 Likes

The thing that annoys me is the sense of entitlement from fox given they’re pretty much a monopoly and any slight against them is punished with bad press

2 Likes

News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson downplayed Kayo’s slump, pointing to the AFL and NRL seasons as the key drivers of growth and delivering cricket a yorker, labelling it not as compelling as the winter codes.

The article’s author (Max Mason) does a better job putting into words what I thought of that bolded bit:

But stumping up more than $100 million a year for something that didn’t drive growth isn’t a good sign.

3 Likes

Everyone said this when they got the rights last year. Not surprised. It was a bad deal for cricket, seven and foxtel. Idiots.

Mason has also noted that News has begun “posturing” in its mastheads over the rugby rights. Typical arrogance from this company that whinges and whines when they don’t get rights.

1 Like

That’s why there should be more media owners in the industry and less cross media ownership.

1 Like

What we are seeing is Foxtel’s MO when it comes to rights negotiations - what will be interesting this time is to see whether they sustain the behavour or give up - they’ve already said that Rugby isnt a sport that they are concerned about keeping on the books, while its had a good run on Foxtel (25 years), much of that was in a time when the subscription had minimal “Tier 1” local sports.

There appears to be a bit of banking on RA making the wrong move here - Foxtel putting out there that they were willing to pay an amount up front (whether its correct or not) pretty well sets a target - if RA are unable to meet that with a new broadcast partner(s) then it could be perceived to be a loss to the sport and given that someone like Raelene Castle is already under pressure over her stewardship of the game it may deliver other consequences.

While it would be nice to see it, we’ve seen little evidence that we can support it - there has been very little ‘new’ money in any of our media ownership for some time and the financial results of many media companies are showing that investing in Australian media could be a bit sketchy.

3 Likes

Rather hard to make money out of currently.

3 Likes
1 Like

I’ve been thinking about what Foxtel are going to name Project Ares once it launches and I reckon ‘Binge’ would be perfect. They’d still own the rights to the name and it would suit a Netflix-like platform quite well. It could be the reason the channel ceased in the first place?

2 Likes

Disney Channel’s “goodbye” promo:

6 Likes

Started on Optus Vision back in the good ol analogue pay TV era.

2 Likes

Is that official, or fan made?

2 Likes

The Closures of Disney Channel and Disney Junior are Related to the Success of their new Streaming Service Disney+, Other Parts of the World including Europe will Follow Australia’s suit when Disney+ launches there next Month.

1 Like

Does Foxtel have rights to Bob’s Burgers anymore? Season 8 is the latest season on Itunes.

They do. I’m not to sure wether they have full rights though.

1 Like

It’s still shown on Fox8 daily. Weirdly only two episodes from season 2 are available on demand though.

1 Like

Looks fan made but not sure but there is a ticker running across the top of the screen today every 10-15minutes

4 Likes

A thought bubble by me; Foxtel has been saying for a few months now they are going to be doing a new streaming service.

Currently in Australia, 71% of people have a streaming service, Netflix, Stan or other.

Which leads me to think, Foxtel has massively misread the market again and the horse has bolted.

Surly someone within that organisation should have realised about 10yrs when Netflix started in the US and started to get major traction with the public buying into it, that the current Foxtel model might need some adjustment?

What I don’t understand, is why someone higher up didn’t start to think, let’s get our own streaming service out there before Netflix arrives in Australia, instead they seemed to think it won’t take off here and we will be fine.

What also stands out as another major miscalculation is that the parent company in the US, Fox movies/entertainment - Murdoch’s love child become his unloved child and was sold to Disney.

Thus taking major content off them, and making it even harder now to start a streaming service, when the likes of Netflix, Stan and others have cemented there position in Australia.

Content is everything, and if you lose the content than what do you have to offer the public? Foxtel is slowly becoming a massive dead weight for an organisation, sad for those hard working employees if they lose jobs but great to see Murdoch again asleep at the wheel. So when does this so called new service start?

3 Likes

They did try there own streaming service with Presto

2 Likes