Foxtel

The Stan/Disney thing is somewhat immaterial to Foxtel

So the part where it says there are looking at upgrading streaming software and hardware (what exactly Iā€™m not sure) could be complete nonsense. I havenā€™t seen the Australian article.

So is this a way of Telstra getting out of fox or something else?

Tens of thousand contractor jobs?

Telstra barely provide an adequate service as it is.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised there are 10,000 contractors to begin with. I thought Telstra shafted most of them since the NBN rollout went full swing?

3 Likes

Not their issue now with NBN. what a mess that is though.

Telstra have never been known for great service whether it be ADSL or NBN.

1 Like

Telstra has been reducing staff constantly over the past 10 years. There are cuts made every six months. The 10,000 includes 6,000 staff who have recently been told they are redundant and will be finishing up in July.

Whatā€™s really soul destroying to staff is that they announce the creation of new positions in India at the same time, which proves itā€™s more about increasing profits by offshoring jobs.

4 Likes

They are on the ā€œinsideā€ too not just techs

1 Like

There has been some unease for a while, Foxtel ditching cable removes one of the last links back to Telstra other then ownership

1 Like

Telstra has wanted to get out of the deal for a while but Foxtel has made some concessions to keep them in partnership.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure whether this has been posted in media spy before but here it is

1 Like

yep. i spent 3 years working at telstra as a contractor in a call centre supporting the telstra shops and the BDM network. we were dangled promises of being converted to telstra staff but it never happened. it was eventully why i left

I canā€™t see anyone buying them except SBS?

If a commercial network does pick it up, it would be on a secondary channel.

2 Likes

didn;t channel 10 show the old ASL at one point? might be good for some sat afternoon filler

Ten broadcast the first year of the Philips Soccer League in 1977.

SBS probably wonā€™t have the money to pick them up. Remember who is in power and how much money they need to keep delaying the tax cuts. Plus the FFA may think (in their minds) that SBS is a step backwards. By all means, give 'em the ā€œoff cutsā€ (womenā€™s football mainly) but the ā€œbigā€ ticket items? Forget it.

If CBS had some brains, they could try and target the growth of Football as a code and grab those two games, plus some other rights, like the Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Europa League and the new 3rd tier European comp (which is on its way), plus at least a game a week and highlights of La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc.

3 Likes

I can see Optus Sport taking over the A-League if Fox doesnā€™t want them anymore!

1 Like