Foxtel

1 Like

This totally doesnā€™t scream please donā€™t unsubscribe from us

14 Likes

i think after this year foxtel will be come in serious trouble whats foxtel is and will be showing imo and knowing a far few people i know that foxtel wont loose to many subscribers esp with shows like wentworth who i know a lot of people who love this show , but what happens next who knows , i do think foxtel will not have many overseas sports , and i do belive that if foxtel doesnā€™t do something now in the future or even next year it will become half of what it is now

Telstra appears to be a reluctant shareholder and has reportedly refused to pump any more money into Foxtel. If News Corp canā€™t find a way to refinance Foxtelā€™s massive debt the future is very bleak.

3 Likes

Is there even a small chance of another international player (such as Comcast who outbidded 21st Century Fox for Sky in the UK) bailing out Foxtel or is the Australian Pay TV market too small for anyone who isnā€™t News Corp to bother?

I can see Foxtel just morphing into a streaming service. Presto for Movies/TV series and Kayo for Sport.

3 Likes

Foxtel Now was a good platform to help morph into a competitor for Netflix and the like, but then they jacked up the prices to almost match their legacy service. Itā€™s like they want to die off.

7 Likes

Itā€™s is kinda like that now,with most shows being able to stream after they air .I agree with you I can see foxtel being a steaming only service

Until I can be convinced that streaming is virtually 100% reliable (ie. buffer free), then I donā€™t think this is a good move.

1 Like

If Foxtel hadnā€™t been so opposed to the NBN and the fibre NBN that would have been perfect. The fibre had the ability to have multiple services as well, just like how it can carry multiple internet connections so they still could have kept their subscription model similar and it would have been more like an upgrade to the cable model or they could have had it through streaming through any provider like their current Foxtel Go.

4 Likes

yes that you and i disagree i think it would be a great move

Iā€™m on HFC NBN with a fetch box. iā€™m only on a 50Meg plan but itā€™s been flawless - iā€™ve been playing online games (such as WOW) whilst watching with no issues whatsoever. I believe that had we gone down the path of FTTP NBN it would have fixed all of foxtels issues - they could have dumped the satellite (one of there huge costs) and supplied a steaming box instead

3 Likes

i do believe one the nbn is rolled out across Australia in the future , foxtel will be a streaming only platform like Netflix

Possibiy, but I reckon we are 5-10 years away from that point.

2 Likes

5 years more like or maybe even sooner if foxtel keeps going the way it is

1 Like

If the NBN was done properly it could have been now. For those on FTTN thereā€™s no possibility of faster speeds, for those on full fibre plans are already 10 times faster than what they can ever get.

1 Like

Discovered this little gem whilst browsing the MATV thread:

1 Like

https://www.channelnews.com.au/news-corp-backed-foxtel-on-a-roll-as-stan-faces-losing-disney/

What does everyone make of this? it is a channel news article, so Iā€™m not sure how to take it.

Just plagiarised from Michael Millerā€™s interviews with The Australian and The Australian Financial Review.

So itā€™s basically a copy of the Australian article?