Foxtel

Has any one that has the IQ3.5/IQ4 done the latest up date yet? Apparently if you have done it you should be able to see the 4k channel 444. But it should be locked with a message saying you will need to upgrade your package to receive channel.

Has anyone seen anything like this yet?

Yes and I have the channel. I have that error message and the one saying that my equipment is not compatible (Foxtel wants HDCP 2.2). Very disappointing.

Sounds like you have the original IQ3

No I have the iQ4, I got the update rebranding it.

So your running it though a HD tv and not 4k?

Yeah, Foxtel is locking out anyone without a 4k TV essentially.

1 Like

Just found this.

IQ4 full morning media launch

6 Likes

Remember for those who have 4K televisions make sure that HDMI 4K (LG calls it UHD Deep Color, Sony calls it Enhanced Mode and Samsung calls it HDMI UHD Color) is turned “On” for that HDMI input in the TV menu. This switches the HDMI input to 2.0 from legacy mode. Why it’s switched off by default is for compability with older devices.

Same with Soundbars. Yamaha has 4K mode in Advanced settings. I am quite sure ch444 is pushing 4K 50p and that’s why the bandwidth on HDMI 2.0 hardware is needed.

Got my IQ4 coming in the next few days :slight_smile:

"

1 Like

It’s a revolution… from the biggest screens… to the little

Not really, just the biggest given 4k isn’t coming to streaming.

If you watch the whole thing he says they will be doing 4k streaming eventually. He also said that not every think had been announced and there would be more to come later in the year. So there must be another announcement in ether September or October some time. Hopefully we get a better idea then whats going on with streaming.

1 Like

Evening version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk_nkrxL1c

3 Likes

This is the logo used on Foxtel’s social media accounts now.

3 Likes

Patrick Delaney said on the Hot Breakfast yesterday that there are 9 more announcements about Foxtel changes this year

Do we know yet if Fox 4K will be 50p or 25i?

Foxtel already charge a $10 fee for HD channels which should be free in this day and age. What are they going to charge for the 4K channel?

I really don’t think it’s that good. Yes, the interface is greatly improved but I’ve found the responsiveness of the box to be quite a great deal worse than previous IQ models. I’d much prefer a responsive interface than a flashy one.

$444? :rofl:

2 Likes

It looks to me like it’s included with the Sports HD pack.

50p my guess. That’s why its so strict on having a HDMI 2.0 port on the TV.

Actually 4:4:4 is a chroma colour / luminance spec and is part of the HDMI 2.0 spec.

There is an interesting point of comparison here with Sky UK.

Sky rolled out UHD broadcasts this year, but instead of using a linear channel offer the opportunity to pre-record scheduled broadcasts through the menu and opt in to a UHD feed if one is available for a channel you are watching.

UHD content is also available on demand, and the broadcaster is moving to a technology agnostic approach (as opposed to Foxtel who are migrating cable subscribers to Satellite).

However, Sky’s UHD platform doesn’t allow viewers to paused and rewind live TV.

Foxtel celebrates the life and music of legendary ‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin

From today on Foxtel Smooth and Foxtel Arts

Foxtel Smooth and Foxtel Arts will celebrate the life and music of the trail-blazing ‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin who passed away overnight from pancreatic cancer at age 76.

The first woman admitted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987, the music superstar had 88 Billboard chart hits, sold over 75 million records and won 18 Grammy awards, including best female R&B performance for eight years in a row as well as the Legend Award in 1991 and the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1994.

She was also the recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom (2005), the National Medal of Arts (1999) and the Kennedy Center Honors (1994).

Over the course of a career that spanned more than half a century, Ms Franklin’s gospel-rooted singing and bluesy delivery not only topped the charts, but became instant classics with songs including ‘ Respect ,’ ‘ (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman ,’ ‘ I Say A Little Prayer’, and ‘ Think’ .

Foxtel’s tribute to Aretha Franklin commences today from 2.30pm on Foxtel Smooth featuring Remembering Aretha , a collection of the gifted vocalist’s hit songs including ‘Respect, ‘Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves’ and ‘Freeway of Love’.

Tonight on Foxtel Arts, Rock Legends: Aretha Franklin at 6:30pm followed by Aretha Franklin at 7.00pm , a special that reflects on the life of the undisputed Queen of Soul, who has inspired generations with her songs.

At 8pm , Aretha Franklin: Queen Of Soul , a collection of the very best of Aretha’s music video clips and all programs will be encored across the weekend only on Foxtel.

Fraser Stark , General Manager of Foxtel’s Arts and Music Channels, said, “The world has lost a legendary iconic talent in Aretha Franklin who wrote, as well as gave her voice to, some of the world’s favourite songs. From this afternoon and across the weekend Foxtel Smooth and Foxtel Arts will be paying their R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to the superstar through a line-up of performances and TV biographies. We will celebrate a life lived fully, that much-loved powerful voice and a songbook that remains for the ages.”

Rock Legends: Aretha Franklin , will encore tonight at 8:30pm and Aretha Franklin at 9pm on Foxtel Arts and tomorrow, Saturday August 18 at 9am on Foxtel Smooth and Sunday August 19 on Foxtel Arts.

Aretha Franklin: Queen Of Soul encored tonight at 10pm on Foxtel Arts and Sunday August 19 at 11am and 6pm on Foxtel Smooth. Remembering Aretha, encored tomorrow at 8:45am and 5pm on Foxtel Smooth. All programs can be streamed On Demand on internet-connected iQ set-top-boxes and on Foxtel’s streaming service.