Foxtel

Will this be more successful than the Foxtel 3D channel. :smiley:

4 Likes

Foxtel unveils TV like never before

• Foxtel in Live 4K reinvents entertainment and sport
  • New iQ4 to deliver Australia’s only guaranteed Live 4K experience
  • Foxtel’s Cricket in 4K brought to life in brilliant detail from Nov. 4

Foxtel today announced the launch of a new, dedicated, 4K live channel, heralding the next wave of change in Australian television. The arrival of Foxtel’s 4K channel is an Australian first, bringing with it a live 4K experience and an unprecedented way to enjoy sport, documentaries, movies and more through Australia’s only guaranteed 4K satellite signal.

Foxtel in 4K will launch in October on channel 444 and will come as part of a Foxtel Platinum HD or Foxtel Sports HD subscription for customers with an iQ4. At launch, the channel will start previewing 4K content – including live sport, documentaries, concerts and more, and over the next 12 months, Foxtel will continue to expand the selection of unique 4K content to its subscribers.

The news comes as Foxtel announces the arrival of the new iQ4 set top box. The iQ4 is Foxtel’s most advanced streaming set top and is designed to be continually upgraded with newer, smarter features that make finding and streaming your favourite Foxtel programming easier, while delivering the best in live television via Foxtel’s satellite service.

The new iQ4 will also enable subscribers with a compatible 4K TV to access Foxtel’s new 4K channel and enjoy Australia’s ultimate entertainment and sports service in HD and 4K UHD.

Foxtel in 4K arrives just in time for the November 4, Australia v. South Africa, Cricket ODI, which will kick off Foxtel’s sports coverage in 4K, bringing the sights of the game to fans like they’ve never seen it before.

The iQ4 marks the start of a new wave of innovations for Foxtel that will maximise the value of a Foxtel subscription. The iQ4 combines satellite delivery; incredible 4K programming via the 4K channel, along with a host of other linear channels, alongside a massive library of TV and movies to stream On Demand via the internet.

Patrick Delany, Foxtel CEO, said, “Innovation is in Foxtel’s DNA and we have continuously redefined entertainment for Australia putting us at the centre of connecting subscribers with the sports and the shows they love.”

“Today’s news is just the first step into a 4K future – this incredible experience will continue to expand as we bring even more sport and entertainment programming to life in guaranteed 4K, making the most of today’s ultra-modern 4K TVs. It’s TV like never before.”

Foxtel’s state-of-the-art satellite network will deliver Foxtel’s dedicated broadcast of 4K content to iQ4 set top boxes and is the only way to guarantee 4K delivery, every time.

Foxtel customers can learn more at foxtel.com.au/4K to be sure they’re up and running for when the curtain goes up on 4K and live Cricket in 4K.

image image

4 Likes

Wasn’t there meant to be an announcement regarding Foxtel’s new streaming services today?

Had they even fixed the iq3 or have they been working on this whilst giving up on the 3? :thinking:

1 Like

Pretty sure this is what was (now) temporarily named the iQ3.5. So I have this box already.
https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Foxtel-iQ4/Foxtel-launches-the-iQ4/m-p/248520#M1

Looks like this is one way Foxtel are going to encourage cable subscribers to switch to Satellite voluntarily.

Cricket in 4K… what a wonderful achievement lol. Watching men run back and forth hitting and then chasing a small red ball in 4K compared to HD. I don’t think showcasing 4K capabilities using cricket is the best idea at all.
Might as well watch grass grow in 4K… or just walk outside.
I’ve seen some foxtel personalities posting 4K videos tonight. Hopefully it rolls out to their general entertainment programming too.

1 Like

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/foxtel-is-launching-a-new-4k-live-channel-offering-a-groundbreaking-new-way-to-enjoy-live-sport-and-entertainment-in-the-highest-definition-available-through-australias-only-guaranteed-4k-satellite-signal/video/1b8e6792ca8201ec483936c4fd230f5f

Sky news clip

it might not be your thing but to those of us who love cricket this is awesome. I hope they do F1 in 4K it’s shot in 4K. my guess is the issue could be transporting the stream over here)

4 Likes

Did they tell you that you had to pay anything for the new box? Apart from the tech visit.

In the past upgrading to the iQ3 cost somewhere around $125.

That article is fake news.

the vast majority would need professional install though, not cheap.

Just to qualify that remark:

“as in going from HFC to satellite, big difference in technology and the vast majority of HFC would not have a satellite dish installed”

only quoted $25. if it’s more than that i’ll call up and disconnect. i’m out of contract so i have the upper hand

1 Like

Pretty well any other sport I would agree as they are fast paced, cricket would be the only one in my eyes that doesn’t fully showcase 4k’s Capability. Seems a waste

The iQ3 is excellent (well I have the 3.5 that will soon upgrade automatically to the 4) and it’s a huge visual and interface improvement on the iQ2. There are occasion bugs but no more than what I had on the iQ2.

Definitely make the switch - it makes the whole Foxtel experience a lot better.

1 Like

My iQ3 is mostly OK, but there are times where it will refuse to switch on, which can only be rectified by switching it off at the wall.

And I think I prefer the TV Guide in the iQ2 where I can more easily see more than just Now and Next.

1 Like

I got burnt when it first came out. Sent it back. I know it’s come a long way since then tho. I’m more likely to give away a foxtel anyway these days. So probably won’t upgrade. Unless they do something of a freebie.

2 Likes

Has Foxtel dropped the logo with the dots that made an”f”?

1 Like

From what it seems yes, since it hasn’t been used for weeks in advertising aside from parts of the website. Also since the announcement of Foxtel iQ4/4K last night, they’ve reverted back from the salmon colour to orange as the brand colour and re-instated the searchlights into their branding again:

Good decision imo, the searchlights and orange are strongly tied to their brand heritage, they shouldn’t have differentiated from their brand image with the salmon colour and “F” dotted logo just to look trendy with similar services, it just ended up making them look like this:

6 Likes