Foxtel

What is the point of putting links to articles that are behind a paywall?

1 Like

12ft - look it up.

if people didn’t, then someone would probably reply asking for a source.
No harm in posting the link and sharing context, if people have access to a link they’re welcome to read it.
Discussion about the topic on a forum is still free :slight_smile:

6 Likes

don’t they give this away free to subscribers? i have it and i don’t pay for it

they do, but I think that was just to get some awareness / traction.

the fact they need to do this with Flash, but don’t do it for Kayo and Binge is pretty telling.

PS if you cancel your Foxtel subscription - they are pretty on to it with cancelling your Flash, they’ll let Flash run for the remaining balance of the month based on when your date when you joined Flash.
(that’s what’s happening to me atm)

So if some purchases a subscription with Foxtel, do they still need to purchase a subscription with say Paramount+ to access that aggregated content on their platform?

Yes.

Think of the Foxtel box trying to be like an Apple tv box.
By having the apps on it, Foxtel is trying to keep you in their environment, not going elsewhere.

1 Like

Thanks. Yuk to Foxtel. I would not expect that to last well unless the increased cost was paying for the integrated services chosen to be included.

While they are cutting their content costs, they are also pushing people to get other subscriptions to then access that content. People can’t have that much money just sitting around surely. Up to $1,000 a year is a hefty expenditure for most people to also have and manage multiple services that most people never used to spend in the first instance.

Agreed, I don’t think people would actively choose Foxtel for this reason, it’d be more of a stemming the flow of cancellations.

For addtional context, some Foxtel packages include a Netflix subscription.
Also, when Disney+ was added, they did provide a number of customers one year free Disney+

I think Foxtel needs to look at offering discounts for the streaming services accessible through the iQ box. Offering say Disney+ or Netflix or Paramount with at least a 25% discount off the normal rate would incentivise people who are on the fence about leaving Foxtel to consider staying.
I’d also heavily recommend doing a deal with Optus to offer Optus Sport for $7-$10 per month for Foxtel Sport subscribers, similar to the discount Optus gives their own subscribers. This would go some way to reducing the impact of Foxtel dropping beIN and losing rights to other providers.

I think they are looking at doing this when they have more of a focus on streaming in the next few years.

1 Like

The new free-to-air Nickelodeon is now on Foxtel channel 168.

6 Likes

It’s been there since launch day.

1 Like

So are Ten paying to run it on Foxtel?

I think Ten has some kind of content deal with Foxtel anyway so it may be done through that.

Aren’t all stations via antenna these days on most boxes?

1 Like

If you’re in TV mode, then you’re watching FTA via the antenna.

I know two prople who cannot access FTA and can only watch FTA through Foxtel. One lives in a black spot where his antenna only gives him half the channels with snow and the other is in an old flat where they don’t have an antenna.

1 Like

Thats what Foxtel want - but its still a bit of a mix, some channels (for some markets) are on the satellite and cable still carries the channels over Fox’s network (although not for much longer)

3 Likes

Some channels aren’t on Foxtel, e.g. 9Rush, Spree, C31, etc.

Even if you have an FTA antenna and can receive these directly on your TV, the channel won’t appear anywhere in the list of channels on the Foxtel box.

There are a few other quirks, e.g. if you have FTA, racing.com does appear but only via internet rather than over FTA (as RACING.COM HD).

4 Likes

Foxtel Upfront: Thursday 26 October at Cockatoo Island, Sydney.

5 Likes