Foxtel

How many people will ditch Foxtel or Kayo when the AFL and NRL seasons finish and then take up a Stan Sport subscription for the Rugby World Cup?

A fair few, I’d imagine.

1 Like

Not a heap, given all the Aussie games will be on FTA.

1 Like

Depends on how many Wallabies and semi/finals games are on free to air?

2 Likes

True, but as most of the games in tue knockout stages will be at 6am AET, seeing France , All Blacks, England, Ireland, Springboks, will also draw people to get a Stan Sport subscription I think.

1 Like

How long until Foxtels next major rights deals expire? When it comes to sport?

2 Likes

Time for a revival of Fox Kids then? :wink:

3 Likes

The next NRL rights will be interesting to watch. With Nine in such a strong position , they might decide to nab all of the rights and put them them on Stan Sport as well as Nine.

3 Likes

They’ll want that, but don’t worry the NRL are in bed with Fox too much to leave them.

3 Likes

How many Stan Sport subs do you need for a 600 million per annum outlay.

There’ll always be a place for live news and live sport. But beyond that how does Foxtel survive with the outrageous package costs?

1 Like

Should launch an Aerobics Oz Style 24/7 channel!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel as though I am the only person in Australia who prefers linear television - I just want to sit and watch, I don’t want to search !

9 Likes

I prefer terrestrial too, I still have an emotional attachment to brands like Seven, Nine and Ten from the 1980s watching them as a kid.

3 Likes

A TV guide with good content is better than a Netflix or YouTube search.

It’s only when there’s nothing on linear TV, when streaming becomes a good option.

1 Like

I suspect Foxtel will become a streaming service only once their agreement with Optus for the satellite services expire.

It does however pose an interesting scenario, I use satellite Foxtel, and have average NBN FTTN internet. It works very well with (and I am guessing here) 99% uptime, my NBN not so much. If Foxtel goes internet only, like their competitors, I wonder if Optus might step into the market and offer a much more limited pay tv offering, using the VAST platform they own and manage…for people like me who’s internet just isn’t up to the task…

2 Likes

Off topic, but anyone who doesn’t understand the appeal of FAST needs to read this :point_up_2:

4 Likes

Yeah Internet dropouts are my main issue with relying on streaming.

It might only happen once every 6-8 hours on average, but my modem takes 3-4 minutes to reconnect. And my fear is that it will happen at the most pivotal moment during the football or cricket!

Perhaps I should look at a provider / plan that offers 4G backup.

2 Likes

4 years ago I would have agreed with this but now not so much.

1 Like

That’s the issue - Stan Sport neither has the number of subscribers or a diverse enough rights portfolio in order for it to be a ‘must have’ year round to be able to afford the outlay required.

3 Likes

Rugby League is probably the only deal at the moment in our stable that isn’t all rights, all platforms – but in saying that, when the last subscription rights deal was done for rugby league, Stan Sport didn’t exist. I would say it’s definitely something we’ll look at for 2028.”

4 Likes