Foxtel

I didnt think we were seeing it until 2023

2 Likes

Foxtel really are starting the push to get people off cable, noticed a pop up on my IQ3 when I switched it on this evening.
They keep referring to 2023 for the disconnection of cable, but I canā€™t find much info about when. Has that been decided or is still to be determined?

1 Like

Foxtel will advise impacted customers progressively before the TV cable network closes in 2023 and let you know what your options are.

Affected customers will be contacted by mail, eDM, SMS and other channels in the lead up the closure date

3 Likes

I recently changed to an iQ5 because I moved into my new apartment (brand new building) and the building doesnā€™t have Foxtel connectivity. I guess itā€™s not worth their effort installing if it is eventually being phased out. I had to pay $299 through Telstra to get it. Not to mention that it took a lot of convincing that Iā€™d tried every possible avenue with my current box before they would give it to me.

1 Like

I was lucky to get it not so long after it was released. where i am i cant get satelight foxtel. and since I wanted to rejoin I asked for the iq5, the lady I was talking to had to talk to her manager though, then the manager wanted to know why I couldnā€™t get Foxtel Satelite and when I told him why, I got it

1 Like

Can anyone get any screenshots of this popup? :thinking:

1 Like

they must be gradually adding Prime video app to IQ4 as its not on mine yet

It seems like there has been a supply shortage of the boxes which is why they must be so strict on who they are given too. Iā€™m not sure if this is just on Telstraā€™s side or for Foxtel customers as well.

Typically they update a set number of devices each day rather than all in bulk.
You may be able to force it though by doing a hard reboot and triggering an update

It was on mine this morning.

thats exactly what i did and it appeared :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had Foxtel (direct) trying to give a free iQ5 since December. The latest offer says there is a limit of 38,606 boxes. December last year the limit was 19,300 .

2 Likes

Is there a difference in picture quality when watching Foxtel through cable/satellite and broadband internet (especially movie and sport channels)?

1 Like

I have an IQ4 & have shows series linked right & for 90% of them, I watch via the stream button (click info on the recorded show twice, then brings up ā€œStreamā€ or ā€œWatch Recordingā€) as it takes the ads out that way & legit, it looks the same quality as the recorded Satelite version, I was actually amazed when I first got an IQ4 from a IQ2 last year & saw it was the same quality & it loads to HD in like a sec or 2, its super fast.

2 Likes

Over the years of different family members having Foxtel or Austar, I havenā€™t noticed much differences between the two.

2 Likes

I think the question relates to delivery over IP compared to Sat/Cable.

Trevor Long road tested the IQ5 when released and noticed no difference to picture quality with a slight channel change lag.

The review should be on EFTM somewhere .

3 Likes

5 Likes

1 Like

I finally succumbed to the bribery and took up Foxtel on their offer for a no cost iQ5 self install to change from cable to internet delivered signal. The unit arrived after just a couple of days - left at the front door, no signature required.

After that it was amateur hour. The most ridiculous thing was the install instructions. They showed how to install via cable only. There was mention of TV aerial which was described as optional but no mention of the network cable connection at all. Cables were provided for everything except a network connection!

Then came the setup. The box would not activate. That required a +90 minute wait phone call. After about 30 minutes more troubleshooting, turns out the box needed a forced software upgrade.

Lucky I knew what I was doing with the install and had other things to do while I was on hold for 90 minutes.

User experience 0.

13 Likes

Is that just an assumption of WiFi being used? Iā€™d think a relatively low portion of people would be doing an ethernet connection, and providing a network cable would almost always be either unneeded or too short.