Foxtel 4K

It’s obviously very difficult to work out without the box - however, in terms of narrowing it down… surely 4K coverage can only apply to games produced by Fox Sports; ie. Channel 7 aren’t going to be offering Foxtel a 4K feed for their own games, even if it were technically possible (because that’d make no economic sense to them)?

That’d cut down the possible matches to five each week - which this week, is basically the Saturday and Sunday matches except for the Saturday night game which is Seven. There’d be little to no chance of getting the Wed/Thu/Fri games in 4K.

Given Foxtel’s boast of 35 games over nine rounds… on the average, likely four of those would be in 4K - you’d just love to know which ones, and that’s the pain of it.

I guess it also shows that having to share between the two ends up with compromises. You just won’t see the biggest games in 4K, unless say 7plus starts offering a premium 4K stream (which seems much more likely than ever seeing 4K on terrestrial TV). But it’s a lot, lot better than nothing, and Foxtel have other things to show that off, like the F1 where they can show the 4K footage from Sky UK - that’d be something to behold I imagine.

Similar case, I’d imagine incidentally, for the three games covered by Nine for the NRL (I guess, also Warriors games in NZ depending on Sky NZ’s capabilities, though that’s not this year). I wonder if the fact they were only expecting three games a week on average (out of five) might have to do with facilities at suburban grounds, or some games also being taken to regional venues in the first ten rounds that they made that claim.

I don’t know how many 4K OB trucks are available but there would probably be logistics to consider in getting them from one venue to the next, depending on where the non 7 and 9 AFL/NRL games are on at and how much time they have vs need to move it.

4 Likes

For the NRL Magic Round in Brisbane later this year, how many 4K OB trucks will be needed? Will Foxtel and Nine use the same cameras and crew?

Previously they’ve just used the same setup but for the games on 9 Fox didn’t get a 4K feed

1 Like

AFL games in 4K have appeared on the show page, all games on UHD 2

Round 1
Geelong vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs North Melbourne
West Coast vs Gold Coast

Round 2
Essendon vs Brisbane
North Melbourne vs West Coast (now confirmed after no live broadcast was scheduled initially, see below)
Fremantle vs St Kilda

(The first showing of North Melbourne vs West Coast shown was a repeat at 12:55am Monday morning on Fox Footy in HD, wouldn’t be surprised if that’s also in UHD since the game the day before at Marvel is. Same could be said about GWS v Syndey with the NRL game the next day though.)

NRL Round 3 (on UHD 1)
West Tigers v Warriors
Raiders v Titans
Sea Eagles v Bulldogs

F1 is all on UHD 1.

4 Likes
2 Likes

North Melbourne v West Coast is listed on the EPG for the Fox Sports 4K UHD Ch 592, but the game isn’t being shown…

2 Likes

They’ve fixed it now that the first quarter is just about done.

AFL Round 3 (on UHD 2)
Adelaide vs Port Adelaide
Carlton vs Hawthorn
West Coast vs Fremantle

NRL Round 4 (on UHD 1)
Sharks vs Knights
Sea Eagles vs Raiders
Eels vs Dragons

They seem to be slipping a bit in putting these up

4 Likes

I’m on IQ5 IP only. Before today the 4K channels were approximately 17 seconds behind the HD channels. Today, for the Sharks V Knights game at least (and I’ll check AFL Adelaide V Port Adelaide later) the 4K channel is approx 0.5 sec ahead of HD.

HD streaming delay hasn’t changed (still roughly in line with official AFL and NRL website radio streaming) so it looks like the 4K encoding has been improved.

Update: Yep, 503HD and 592UHD roughly in line for the AFL.

5 Likes

Foxtel have put their 4K coverage for the next 2 weeks up.

AFL Round 4 (on UHD 2)
Collingwood vs West Coast
Fremantle vs GWS (coverage starts at 7:35 rather than the 7:25 on 503, oddly)
Essendon vs Adelaide

AFL Round 5 (UHD 2)
West Coast vs Sydney
St Kilda vs Gold Coast
Adelaide vs Richmond
Carlton vs Port Adelaide
Essendon vs Fremantle

NRL Round 5 (on UHD 1)
Rabbitohs vs Dragons

NRL Round 6 (UHD 1)
Sea Eagles vs Titans
Storm vs Sharks
Roosters vs Warriors
Eels vs Wests Tigers

Only seems to be the Sunday coverage scheduled in 4K (on UHD 1) for the F1 this weekend.

Edit: A lot more F1 is now up including the Supercars race on UHD 1. Amen Corner from the Masters has also been added (also on UHD 1).

5 Likes

4K Channels now working on Hisense 2021 Model TVs!

I bought a 43" 2021 Model for the bedroom 5 weeks ago & have been waiting for this ever since :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought this might be of interest. The bandwidth usage graph out of my router while I had the IQ5 running the various IP versions of Fox Footy this afternoon.

Fox UHD2 (ch592)

Seemed to be averaging about 25Mbps

Fox Footy HD (ch504)

Seemed to be about 10Mbps

Fox Footy SD (ch574)

Hard to tell at this scale. Maybe 3 or 4 Mbps

The IQ5 is running over Ethernet to my router which connects to NBN via FTTN. Test was conducted with other devices not using data. Wi-Fi is very congested where I live so anything which can be wired, is wired, especially anything which would be impacted by excessive buffering.

6 Likes

Only this weekend up right now.

AFL Round 6 (on UHD 2)
Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide
Port Adelaide vs West Coast
North Melbourne vs Geelong

NRL Round 7 (on UHD 1)
Wests Tigers vs Rabbitohs
Knights vs Eels
Storm vs Warriors
NSW Cup: Knights vs Eels

F1 on UHD 1, except some practice on Saturday night on UHD 3 (I wonder why not UHD 2 on satellite, rather than just streaming on UHD 3?)

5 Likes

Why a NSW Cup game and not another pro game?

1 Like

It’s the curtain raiser to the NRL game between the 2 teams, so the equipment would already be set up.

4 Likes

That means a 4K capable broadcast truck has to travel across Bass Strait for this match (which will be in Hobart).

2 Likes

Also sending one to Ballarat for the Bulldogs-Crows game

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. Very useful info!

Have you had any issues with the UHD streams? eg. buffering?

2 Likes

No buffering issues. One particularly good thing about the 4K channels is Foxtel don’t encode a lower quality stream of them so the box doesn’t spend a second or too getting up to full quality like it does with the HD channels.

The IQ5 occasionally randomly decides I’m not authorised for a channel while I’m watching it and cuts it off, but a quick change of channel and change back fixes that. But that’s for all channels, not just UHD.

I’m with Aussie Broadband so I’m outside the Telstra/Foxtel network and it doesn’t seem to cause any issues.

3 Likes