Foxtel 4K

I noticed in the US that the Super Bowl has yet to be broadcast in 4k - in 2020 it was upscaled. Next year with Fox is expected to the the first. Lots of talk over there in the preceding weeks about get a new 4K TV to watch the Super Bowl!

3 Likes

as long the f1 is recorded in 4K on my IQ4 i’ll be happy

This statement intrigues me a bit in regards to Foxtels 4k sport changes from March 11 2022:

""Depending on your box type, Ultra HD content will either be broadcast via Satellite or streamed via home internet. To access all available events in Ultra HD, your iQ4 or iQ5 box needs to be connected to the internet. “”

Note the phrase “to access ALL available events …” - So i would assume the On-demand replays etc would be delivered via IP rather than satellite which would leave Live 4k telecasts using Satellite bandwidth (I would hope anyway) ie simultaneous live 4k broadcasts delivered over Satellite rather than IP (for those with Dishes!)??

Also I wonder if this is also setting up for a 4k offering & integration on Kayo also ?? Interesting times ahead!

1 Like

BT’s 4K offerings are all delivered by Internet

I don’t think our dodgy NBN is up to simultaneous 4K live streams… it barely copes with HD.

Absolutely no excuse not to now, given FOXTEL will be delivering 4K over the Internet.

Many people successfully stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ in 4K with no issues. I’m on 50Mbps dodgy FTTN and I have no issues.

HLS is adaptive; if your connection or device is struggling with higher bitrates and resolutions it will automatically drop down until you can smoothly watch content.

5 Likes

I look at it like this. As much as I hate to admit it these days I can stream multiple devices in HD with no problem but 4k I’ve had three devices going with dropouts.

1 Like

According to the Ultra HD changes FAQs for business customers, they’ll get access to Fox Sports Ultra HD 1 and 2 on channels 591 and 592 and can access them via the TV guide. Not sure how many businesses have access to Ultra HD when many haven’t updated to HD.

3 Likes

Also applies to residential customers too with Ch’s 591 and 592

2 Likes

So it’s basically splitting the existing Fox Sports Ultra HD channel into two.

4 Likes

Rolled out in the most confusing way possible.

2 Likes

So there basically getting rid of an old channel, launching two new channels then hiding them? Well, that makes sense.

4 Likes

Four is definitely better than one (or two as posted by JCK98 above).
I think one is for NRL, one for AFL, the other two for other sports.

3 Likes

They replace 508 with 591-594 for all customers.

When I change to UHD 3 and 4 my iQ4 seems to download up to 40Mb/s but not for 1 and 2. I’m guessing business customers can’t stream for whatever reason, therefore the streaming channels aren’t mentioned for them.

Interesting, my iQ3 finds two of the channels if manually put in but it doesn’t load a stream.

2 Likes

According to FAQ at the Foxtel website, the 4K sport channels won’t appear on online guide. So it’s a bit hard to find out which NRL and AFL matches will be shown in 4K this weekend, even with a few days’ notice.

2 Likes

If you find the NRL show page (the list of episodes, not sure how to explain it) on the box, it has the Ultra HD 4K tag on games that are in 4K.

This week there’s
Raiders v Sharks
Roosters v Knights
West’s Tigers v Storm

Next week there’s
Dragons v Panthers
Sharks v Eels
Bulldogs v Broncos

Searching for AFL isn’t showing which games are in 4K for next week yet and is polluted by seperate Channel 7 listings.

5 Likes

If I had to guess I’d say it will be:
Geelong v Essendon
GWS v Sydney
Adelaide v Fremantle

1 Like