Foxtel 4K

Watermark-free on 592

4 Likes

One of the AFL 4K matches last night didn’t have a watermark for a while either.

All the more reason to go 4K!

3 Likes

For the first time, the first three weeks of AFL finals will also be shown on 4K via Foxtel.

5 Likes

Conversely it would appear none of the NRL Finals will be in 4K :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Not that this affects me now anyway, but tbh I don’t know why they can’t just produce the games in 4k.

1 Like

It is a Channel Nine decision as the host broadcaster - and that HD doesn’t benefit as much from 4K production as SD did from HD production.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that, but wouldn’t it be easier to just produce in 4k than down-scale from there? It isn’t really about what would benefit HD it’s more about having a set production policy. This is what they do in the US now. They don’t use 4k cameras it’s just produced in 4k and when you watch it it is effectively upscaled from HD.

2 Likes

Why would Nine produce in 4K if they don’t broadcast in 4K? I believe Seven does, but I’d have to assume Foxtel is pitching in on some costs there?
I’m sure Foxtel could upscale on their end, but perhaps they decided it just wouldn’t be worth it.

2 Likes

The Foxtel 4K experience for Fox Footy bothers me, especially for Channel 7 produced games (ie - every final).

As we have discussed earlier it seems glitchy every quarter when the coverage comes in and out from the Fox feed to the game broadcast feed.

I’m not sure why they haven’t been able to fix that issue.

They would really just need to do a slight tweak to the next broadcast deal and it would most likely happen.

2 Likes

So happen to be on a Motel in Roma QLD where they have Foxtel entering the room over KU SAT to a smart box behind the TV where I am watching the 4K Movies channel.
It just looks weird if I am honest, besides the fact it appears the movie is running at 50hz and not 24 like most movies do, the extra frames are causing tearing in the picture when there is fast action… is this common for movies to run at 50fps and cause tearing in the picture?

1 Like

If nothing else, that’s the first time I’ve heard of 4K Foxtel being made available in a motel!

1 Like

yeah i was surprised to… Likely cause the TV is 4K capable

2 Likes

Further to the above (Sorry Admins if it is slightly off topic)
But back in the same motel as I am heading back east and took the opportunity to take some photos of the screen and of the box behind the TV

The one RG6 Coax Cable brings in Free to Air VHF/UHF and Foxtel

8 Likes

Aaah, do the regional free to air stations have bespoke LCN names like 9 Regional QLD instead of eg. 9 Toowomba? As I have seen that type of system before, but don’t recall seeing 4K.

1 Like

Nope says stuff like Channel 9 despite it actually been Imparja

2 Likes

Useful list of AFL and NRL matches to be broadcast in 4K in Foxtel this year. At this stage only the first five rounds are available, but they should be progressively updated during the season.

It’s remarkable that in Round 1, at least one AFL match from all five major capital cities will be shown in 4K. How many 4K capable production trucks are there in each major city?

3 Likes

It appears none of the seven produced games are 4k

7-produced games are upscaled

No they are not. They are natively produced in 4k since last season. Every game bar the GF available in native 4k on Foxtel. They are withholding those games on Kayo assuming to keep Foxtel the premium product

3 Likes