Foxtel 4K

can you type in 591, 592 etc and see if they come up? They’re even hidden on the iQ5

2 Likes

I’ve tried that and they all have this loop

2 Likes

Yep, no live 4K sport at present - maybe the AFL game unless it’s a Seven game?

7 is now producing all their AFL games in 4K for Fox. So the Melbourne vs Richmond game tonight is in 4K and so is tomorrow’s Collingwood vs Essendon game.

Haven’t checked but AFL games tend to be on 592 (unless there’s overlap with other games then 593 is used).

6 Likes

I have looked online and can’t find any program guides/times for the 4K sports streams… is there one? And/or how did you know which AFL games were going to be in 4K?

1 Like

If you go into the Sport menu (press the Sport button on the remote) there’s a carousel that comes up showing anything coming up that is in 4K (under the heading Ultra HD Live and Upcoming).

5 Likes

Fairly simple for AFL games, it’s all of them. For the NRL it seems to be all the games they produce (at least for the next couple weeks).

4 Likes

That’s good, thanks… looking forward to sitting down tomorrow and enjoying some ANZAC Day Footy in 4K for the first time (though sounding like the Roosters vs Dragons NRL won’t be 4K as I suspect it will be a Nine produced game).

3 Likes

I was thinking … it’s funny how Channel 7 have come full circle in producing sports in a higher quality format… as in 2015, the AFL was still only in SD on 7, but now they are producing it in 4K… whereas as Nine have been doing NRL in HD since 2012 (I think) but seemingly not producing 4K yet.

3 Likes

Collingwood v Essendon and Storm v Warriors will both be in 4K.

4 Likes

Anzac Day 4K Footy watching now completed.

The IP delivery worked flawlessly, did not buffer at all. I didn’t get any internet dropouts whilst watching, but I would have been interested to see how the iQ4 handled that eg. would it automatically switch to the HD channel and back again to 4K when internet access returned.

As for picture quality, on my 55 inch Sony, its a bit better than HD, but not the big step up compared to going from SD to HD was. It would probably be more noticeable on a 65 inch or greater.

Any ideas on what the average bit rate that FOXTEL uses for 4K is? I’m guessing it’s around 15-20 Mbits per second ???.. I think HD is around 7 Mbits ??

1 Like

There’s currently FOUR 4K live Sports on FOX… 1 x NRL, 2 x AFL and 1 x Super Netball.

I note they have 5 x 4K IPTV slots available… have all 5 ever been in use all at the same time before?

Also interesting how when 2 AFL games are on, the alternate game score that appears in the bottom right of screen on the HD channel doesn’t appear on the 4K channel (as below).

6 Likes

They launched the 5th channel when the F1 was in Melbourne, I think that was the only time they used all 5.

4 Likes

Had the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix not been cancelled due to flooding, the 5th slot would also have been in use tonight as well.

4 Likes

Yeh. Frustrating you can’t easily flick between two 4k channels.

2 Likes

Agree, I wonder why they’ve designed it like that. Seems so dumb.

2 Likes

I just don’t get why they don’t give a kayo split screen experience on Foxtel boxes. Like surely Foxtel should be premium

6 Likes

The Dreamtime match in 4K

3 Likes

I think you can if there’s more than one on. Or maybe you just need to know the numbers.

Yeh. But you shouldn’t have to know the numbers. That’s not a great user experience

3 Likes