Fox Sports

I don’t really watch that much sport, but I have to say that it’s hilarious how some people think that Foxtel/Fox Sports should have the rights to air any and all sport coverage.

6 Likes

Compare this with Hong Kong, where for the most of last decade, its two biggest pay TV providers (Now and Wharf Cable) fought tooth and nail for the broadcast rights to various European soccer leagues including EPL, so it was fairly common that rights changed hands from one firm to another after just 2-3 years. The competition is just intensifying with new entrant LeEco from China grabbing local rights to EPL, while another pay TV company TVB Network Vision has secured beIN Sports 1 and 2, thus the rights to Serie A, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga. Here fans have been so used to Foxtel/Fox Sports monopoly that when Optus got EPL rights, there was shock and uproar. Competition can only be good for viewers.

4 Likes

@JohnsonTV @SydneyCityTV You are missing the point here. Anyone is allowed to bid and get the rights for anything they wish! Optus won the EPL rights but only offered it to their own customers. that is those who had internet or phone services with them. I only have it because a friend who is not into the EPL gave me their details. I love my EPL and was prepared to pay Optus if they’d given me an app on my Samsung TV. The problem now is that the quality is bad, they are running at approx. 1 to 2 seconds behind the live broadcast and generally doing a really bad job. The only reason I want it on Foxtel is because they have done an excellent job showing it for many years. I also love my EPL team’s channel, beIN sports channels and ESPN which shows the FA Cup and as I cannot get to see my AFL team as much as I’d like I can see every game live. So maybe before commenting on sports which you @SydneyCityTV say you don’t really watch much, source out the facts before commenting. And @JohnsonTV competition may be good but in this case it’s not!

1 Like

As did Fox Sports when it had the rights

2 Likes

YES but they didn’t force anyone to take their internet services! Read my comments in full! I was prepared to pay them for a standalone app but I don’t wish to join their 2nd rate service! Get your facts right if you wish to challenge my argument that Optus have stuffed up the EPL in Australia.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. Instead, they ‘forced’ fans to subscribe to Foxtel’s basic and sports packages (or to pay extra through Fetch or other providers).

I’m not arguing the quality of Optus’ service. What I don’t agree with is the sense of entitlement from people - it’s business, the viewer is always going to come second.

5 Likes

I have no sense of entitlement in this matter. I don’t know where you get that from my posts. All I ask is that a proper service is provided that I am prepared to pay for. This is not happening!

Pay TV does sport a million times better than any FTA could wish to, simply by not having ads. I’d be quite happy with all sport on pay TV.

2 Likes

Pay TV does have ads for some Ten events simulcasted, including Bathurst 1000 and Australian Formula One Grand Prix.

1 Like

Fox Sports gets all the top sports.

1 Like

Not even using the current Fox Sports logo! :confused:

1 Like

To be fair, it’s the better logo

5 Likes

Fox Sports Australia always seem to be dragging their heels with updating their logos.

Fox Sports has a new pop-up channel from September 5 which gives a sneak-peek at the new football channel launching early next year called FOX NRL.

1 Like

because as we all know Footy/Football means AFL

1 Like

except for the soccer nuts who think theirs is football.

1 Like

i’m just winding

1 Like

Will the channel also be available to non-sports subscribers who don’t subscribe to the sports package for a small add-on.

Foxtel should make Fox Footy and Fox NRL to customers who don’t wish to pay for the entire sports package.

Id like to see Fox Sports do something like this - http://www.skysports.com/more-sports/news/11095/10543289/new-channel-sky-sports-mix-to-launch-on-august-24

1 Like

They’d have to charge pretty much the same as now just for 2 channels. May as well give people the lot. Pay Tv model.