Fox Footy

They have been calling all interstate games from the studio this season (so far) only 7 has been at the actual ground

4 Likes

Looks like the Fox has finished their graphics overhaul across the entire network

2 Likes

No new graphics for FSN?

Itā€™s run by Sky News so doubt they bother anymore.

1 Like

Just an observation. Does the Fox Footy clock always count up? Itā€™s currently doing it on the Port Adelaide vs. Essendon game

No it doesnā€™t, they were having issues with the clock

3 Likes

Fox Footy is showing the 2022 Australian Football Hall of Fame live from Melbourne tonight, with eight new inductees and one great to be elevated to Legend status.

1 Like

Titus Oā€™Reily is killing the room

3 Likes

Hey all!

Very glad to have found this forum, Iā€™ve been a loyal Fox Footy viewer for about 10 years now, and the decline in the programming and choices the network is making are genuinely quite disappointing. The two new shows (Face to Face and Best on Ground) have been interesting, FTF is alright, serves itā€™s purpose well despite airing infrequently, but BOG is horrific, possibly the worst thing dished up on 504 in a long time. A real opportunity for a clever concept to work, but poorly executed. The constant repeats of BOG during the day are annoying too, I enjoyed watching the older games from yesteryear personally.

The choices of personnel for some games is rather tiring as well, it seems itā€™s always the same 4 or 5 personalities doing each game, some variety would be appreciated. The broadcastā€™s of the games are still high quality and are superior to the FTA equivalent, however the regular programming like 360 and Bounce is lacking in my opinion. In recent times, I can barely get through the first 20 minutes of 360 before turning off.

Keen to see how other people feel about this, is it just me noticing a decline in quality this year, or am I just too invested in the channel to notice?

Thanks all!

7 Likes

My favourite is On The Couch, still going strong IMO. Nick, Garry and Jono are each really good while I was a fan of Gerard as well.

I havenā€™t seen BOG so canā€™t say anything for/against there.

Agreed, Couch is my favourite as well. I donā€™t like the earlier start time as the conclusion often feels rushed to make sure 360 starts on time, some weeks they omit the Good, Bad, Ugly due to flow, but itā€™s still an elite show.

1 Like

Welcome! :blush:

Itā€™s not just you, it does feel like theyā€™re going through the motions, and when they do try something different, itā€™s something that no one is really asking for, with Best On Ground being a prominent example of that, and yeah, BOG really is that horrible.

Their scheduling this year has really gone downhill too - a lot of the full match replays ara gone, and have been replaced with Minis. Whilst I donā€™t mind them, and how handy they are for catching up on games I havenā€™t seen, there are times where your team has a really memorable win where you want to watch the whole game without being stressed, and those replays arenā€™t scheduled until mid-week. Theyā€™ve even done this for classic games as well, which I really do not like. Leave them alone!

The coverage of games that they do produce are still solid and of a high-quality, but their coverage of Seven-produced games is definitely a bit average, to the point where Iā€™ll actually watch the Seven pre and post-game shows over Fox instead. Foxā€™s coverage on these occasions lack atmosphere, and are actually a bit bland. The need for them to talk right up until the opening bounce of each quarter is unneccesary, and looks a bit amateurish (whenever they feature Port Adelaide games theyā€™ll always talk over the top of ā€˜Never Tear Us Apartā€™, whereas the Seven commentators go quiet and let the atmosphere breathe).

As I alluded to in the AFL Broadcast Rights thread, itā€™s why I think a new broadcaster, such as Stan/9, or 10/Paramount+, would be wonderful for freshening things up a bit. If Fox Footy do hold on to it, I would imagine they would be told to pick up their game.

3 Likes

All of the games played during around are available to watch on demand, which is the way I would imagine most viewers now watch them. The minis are for casual viewers looking for something to watch on the linear channels for 15 min, they may not have 2 hours to spend watching.

The thing I dislike most about Fox Footy this year is the complete lack of post-match review for Saturday and Sunday night games. Saturday Stretch was a great round-up show but they dumped it in favour of light entertainment show Best on Ground, and this show (similar to Bounce on Sundays) seems to consist of 80% infantile humour, 20% football chat/analysis.

4 Likes

Welcome!

Agree with almost everything you wrote but just on 360 in particular, I find it astounding that they still havenā€™t figured out after all these years that current coaches and players generally donā€™t make for exciting and must watch TV.

Sure there will be the situations when they do, but to allocate so much of the weekā€™s shows to them baffles me. The show works best when itā€™s Whateley and Robinson by themselves or with an analyst or two, but you donā€™t get much of it anymore.

Also glad Iā€™m not alone on Best on Ground. Truly one of the most embarrassing shows Iā€™ve seen. The hubris involved with thinking that 3 relatively unfunny, big AFL names + 2 relatively unfunny network ā€˜starsā€™ = funny, entertaining show that fans want to replace decent analysis of the days matches is breathtaking.

Great call, I donā€™t mind the show in general, but specific nights donā€™t appeal to me personally, I couldnā€™t care less who is coming in for what day, I just want match and event analysis without ā€œUmā€™s and Ahā€™sā€ mid conversation. I donā€™t dislike Robbo either, in fact I prefer him to Whateley sometimes, especially on more relatable issues to the average fan, but the last few years has seen him ruin the pacing of the show with his interruptions and stuttering, and in live TV, thatā€™s an issue. Loughnan is hosting this week so I imagine heā€™ll put some effort in, like he did at the Hall of Fame night.

Best on Ground, donā€™t get me started. Iā€™ve actually got so worked up over this show to the point where Iā€™ve sent feedback to one of the comedians who writes the skits for it, even he agreed with some of the stuff I had to say! The talent used on it are not the right choice, Howard is proving to be an asshole and heā€™s showed that with the most recent skit with a baby where it was implied he was hurling profanities at it, Kath is a bit awkward and isnā€™t utilised to her skillset, except for the days news and some of the cringe segments, and the ex Footballerā€™s just sit there and throw off one liners every now and then, Bucks actually provides some half decent commentary of the matches, but then they completely throw to another conversation/segment and the credibility is kind of lost. Calling anyone ā€œtalentā€ on this show is almost a joke in itself!

Iā€™ve said it elsewhere but what a missed opportunity to do a night show and not have Dermott and Eddie Betts on it, subject to his Geelong commitments. Like Derm or not, he was great on Stretch when it started off and pretty much everyone loves Eddie.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this as well, the lead into Bounce on a Sunday annoys everyone, play the team song then go to it, same with Best on Ground. Itā€™s a smart idea from Fox to lead into these programs, but itā€™s so annoying when the shows are of poor quality.

On Monday afternoon games, they do the same thing with On The Couch, and it works because they analyse the match, who wouldā€™ve thought!

3 Likes

AFLW Fixture released. All games on Fox similar to the menā€™s

2 Likes

Clearer version:

2 Likes

You can hear the difference calling in Melbourne (first caller) vs being there (caller for the goal) makes, just time wise.

Man this didnā€™t age well, he was hard to control last night, didnā€™t even have a rundown at the start of the show.

1 Like