Fox Footy

Sarah Jones will host Fox Footy’s coverage of the AFL elimination final between West Coast and Western Bulldogs tonight. She has also announced she is pregnant with her second child.

2 Likes

Fox Footy will be celebrating after its simulcast of yesterday’s preliminary final between GWS and Western Bulldogs posted a new record pay TV audience for an AFL match, even higher than the 2012 preliminary final between Sydney and Collingwood (national audience of 503,000). The exact national audience for GWS-Bulldogs match is 565,000.
But it makes one wonder what sort of audience Seven would have got if it showed the match alone? And to think Seven and Fox Footy will continue to simulcast the first three weeks of AFL finals for the next five years. I really think Seven should fork out more money for the TV rights for 2022-2026 so the entire finals series will be live on FTA only.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I think that we’d probably be more likely see the football Grand Finals simulcast on Pay TV and FTA in ten years time (if online rights aren’t where it’s at by then) rather than going the other way round with FTA-only broadcasts of the entire finals series.

2 Likes

I really hope not if Channel 7 keeping cutting to the news right after a Prelim final with no post match coverage. I’m already annoyed that Fox Footy won’t be simulcasting the Grand Final match in the next 6-year tv rights deal.

Also I’m surprised that prelim final Foxtel ratings record has even has taken 4 years to break

1 Like

For the first time Fox Footy will have a show dedicated to AFL trade period, which sees clubs exchange players and draft picks. AFL Tonight: Trade Period will be hosted by Sarah Jones and features FoxSports.com.au chief AFL writer Jake Niall and list manager Chris Pelchen. It will air weeknights at 6.30pm AEDT on Fox Sports News and then at 7pm AEDT on Fox Footy, for the next three weeks until October 21.

1 Like

Fox Footy will be showing classic VFL/AFL games again during the offseason.

Wish they show dedicated club programming and a special AFL draft edition of AFL 360 on 25 November instead.

November: History month
December: Superstar month
January: Guest programmer month

3 Likes

Not as bad as 2012-2014 when Fox Footy just replayed the season over and over again until the pre-season cup!

3 Likes

I hope they show that gane from late in 2009 (coincidently Lloydy’s final game, before moving to Ch 10 himself) where Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd knocked a Hawthorn player out cold & a massive fight occured :wink:

Both teams hate each other anyway (line in the sand, 1980s, etc)

As a Hawks fan really don’t like being reminded of that game! Poor Brad Sewell and our final hopes for that season were gone after that game.

2 Likes

LOL isn’t that the last time we (Bombers) made the finals?

Yeah I think it was!

1 Like

If Huddo were to leave FOX, who would replace him?

2 Likes

Bombers made the finals 2014 didn’t they?

Who cares though?

Yes you are correct, in 2014 Essendon were beaten by North Melbourne in the Elimination Final by 12 points.

Prior to the 2006 season Fox Footy version 1.0 played every game from 2001 to 2005 on a replay loop over and over, only being interrupted by a one hour wrap of the Draft.

1 Like

Heald sun is reporting James brayshaw will call footy on fox in 2017

1 Like

Shit.

Why not? James Brayshaw has more time to spend on AFL commentary after he relinquished his role as North Melbourne president. He will help reduce the workload of Dwayne Russell and Anthony Hudson, meaning one of them won’t have to call two matches per round.

2 Likes

Well I have more than a slight problem with this, he’s just the worst commentator of all time, simple as that. I know many will echo that statement!