Fox Cricket

That Delany bloke comes across as a smug, flog tbh.

1 Like

what

2 Likes

Like, whenever I see him in a press conference or read a statement from him. Drooling over himself.

1 Like

In both instances he’s appearing in a promotional context. What do you expect? Him to play down his acquisitions?

1 Like

News Corp reports tonight that Mark Waugh is stepping down as Australian Twenty20 selector to concentrate on his commentary career with Fox Sports. He will see out his current contract which expires at the end of August.

2 Likes

It looks like Shane Warne’s future has been decided as News Corp this morning reporting that he has signed to Fox Sports. Fox are really building up a star team for their new cricket coverage. Big blow for Seven. They are dragging their tail on signing talent for their coverage, running out of star options to sign.

4 Likes

Seven may be dragging their tail because it is trying to save money and rely more on its in-house talent for the cricket coverage.
Fox Sports has spent so much money on the cricket rights and signing talent it has to recoup the cost from somewhere. It will probably mean increase in subscription price for everyone including those who are not cricket fans.

3 Likes

Seven got the best expert/analyst there is by a country mile though, in Ricky Ponting. Praised by many for his insightful commentary.

Gilchrist may be more natural in front of the camera, a sort of host, but not as good when it comes to commentary IMO.

Seven should try and sign Fleming ASAP, it was rumoured he might be going to Seven.

1 Like

I’m not a huge fan.

Crash Craddock mentioned on SEN yesterday that Fox have cornered Kerry O’Keeffe, potentially for his own show which would be a very popular signing.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’d be keen to be travelling around the country doing commentary for Fox (and he’s yet to be won over by the BBL), so I think having him host Fox Cricket’s equivalent of Bounce/Sunday Night with Matty Johns would be great.

At the same time he’s said he’s not a big fan of TV, he has more freedom with radio, but Fox will probably give him a bit of leeway.

2 Likes

He’d be a great pick up.

I wonder if Gerard Whateley will be involved or if he will call for SEN (pending rights)

2 Likes

7 have the pick of the commentators in Ricky Ponting but they really need to start to get some others! Isa Guha was a breathe of fresh air who I would’ve loved to see on FTA so a missed opportunity there. I just hope there are no Ch9 blokes in there! Could they get Simon O’donnell? He hosted the cricket show for years and is currently with Ch7 Horse Racing.

2 Likes

In that same interview, he mentioned Seven are targeting Allison Mitchell (UK commentator who is part of the BBC’s Test Match Special)

1 Like

A lot of people are gong to compare Gilly to someone like Tony Greig or Bill Lawry. Those guys were really good, so he’ll have to be careful about how he does ball-by-ball calling. Isa Guha should be really good- she’s a brilliant ball-by-ball caller. Jullan is pretty good at it too.

Don’t like the corridor of courage?

No, not the Wicket of Truth.

I also find Ponting a bit grating.

1 Like

so with the Fox Cricket Channel would that be on 508, which would mean that the ESPN, Eurosport, beIN and soccer channels would move channels to make way for it? If so that makes sense as Fox Sports already use the odd-numbered channels for general sport and the even numbered ones for single-sport channels as Fox League is on 502, Fox Footy on 504 and Fox Motorsport on 506.

Fox sports news is moving to the 600s. 500 will be free

Fox Sports News is staying at 500, but it will be duplicated on channel 602.