Fox Cricket

The coverage is fine. It’s never going to be perfect or to everyone’s taste. Ratings are still good (at least on Fox).

Even during the glory days of Channel Nine, people were whinging. Richie going senile, hysterical Bill etc

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.cricket/c/gQ6LvEYQdtY

3 Likes

It’s hard to have a honest debate about the actual coverage when many people have biases about 2 points in particular. (each to their own) 1. You have to pay for it. 2. Owned by Murdoch.

1 Like

An honest debate; (happy to exclude Murdoch/pay for it) - the coverage of the T/20 international on fox this summer have lacked spark, atmosphere, energy and excitement.

The commentators seem like they are just going through the normal gears, it’s been monotone and having Roy on last night’s coverage was… least said the better.

The coverage over the summer; 7 clearly don’t want cricket, however respect Test Cricket and with the limited access to technology as non-host holders put a coverage together that brought excitement, atmosphere and the enjoyment of test Ashes cricket into life.

Analysed the game so that a casual cricket follower could turn it on, learn about the game and appreciate what was going on.

The commentators, hard to judge due to the covid situation, however the late call up of Atherton lifted the coverage, who sits along side Ponting as great Cricket commentator of the modern age.

Fox on the other hand, was a boys club with Isa as the token female again. The in house jokes, the boring commentary, with no change to how it was done. The overall issue for fox and they are aware of this, is that the people who watch sport on fox aren’t the casual fans, but the people who want it over analysed to the 9th degree.

To put a mark against both coverages, my criteria would be set out on what both offer - with the major difference of advert free - quickly on that subject; it’s cricket, most of the time I am wondering the house while it’s on in the background, so an advert is nothing for a sport like cricket.

AFL or Motorsport, where you sit and watch, it makes a difference.

Seven Ashes: - A; hit the mark with coverage, commentators (some not all that’s why minus A), bring the game to life.

Fox Ashes: D+; missed the mark for the coverage, commentators would rather talk about their own ego than the game, offered nothing new and was boring at times in which excitement was required.

Seven BBL; C+; doesn’t have the jazz that Ten did with the BBL. The game is hardest to judge at the moment with Covid; but the coverage lacks the backyard hero that Ten had, lack interaction.

Fox BBL; same as Seven, lacks the final touch of excitement.

I know people have said, BBL isn’t hitting it with the public, which is actually wrong; across both Seven and Fox the numbers are similar to what Ten had. Covid has limited it, but exclusive to one channel made the appeal & marketing huge; spread the load causes it to be marketed poorly - not user friendly.

This is my opinion, of cricket a sport I love and followed around the world for years.

Right now cricket in Australia is where Cricket in the UK was at the end of the 2005 ashes; CA has a call to make as did the ECB. ECB had to decide to take the money from Pay TV and limit the next generation and growth in the sport, or give it to channel 4, (who was joint rights holder) and had won awards for the coverage and refreshed the game in the UK.

The ECB went with the money, which ultimately caused the growth of the sport to go backwards, cause the kids in summer weren’t watching cricket they found other sports to play or watch.

CA has now the same call to make.

8 Likes

I concur with nearly all of that, greatly summed up. CA have a huge decision to make in the next couple of years, one I’m not sure they are capable of making. If they are bent on giving Fox a piece of the pie, I suspect we’ll see an accelerated decline of the sport in Australia.

3 Likes

Pay wall premium cricket is here to stay. With Foxtel needing a summer sport to keep subscribers. They will go hard to retain.

If the FTAs are to go close to that figure they will want some exclusive premium cricket on the likes of P+ Stan Sport and whatever tie up 7 can get.

I’ve given up on Fox’s commentary - ill either watch in silence or put the radio coverage on instead. It has descended to an absolute rabble and frankly the sooner Fox dispense with the services of Shane Warne the better (or at least reign him in dramatically)

It doesn’t help that several people involved in Fox’s cricket output are ex-Nine - they’ve simply brought their caravan of shit ideas with them across the Gore Hill Expressway. Fox could do well to talk with Sky in the UK about how they do their cricket broadcasts - for all the complaints about the damage done by cricket not being on FTA in the UK, Sky has always done a decent, consistent job of covering the game

Although in saying that, the quality of Fox’s coverage of a number of sports has diminished greatly over the last few years - not a great look when for the first time in nearly 25 years they have significant competition of the sports they have.

I think the BBL is on the precipice - the TV coverage probably doesn’t help that either - but the season is simply too long (and the talk even today of expanding the number of teams is really concerning), but I think more critically the matches are starting to drag out - T20 is supposed to be fast but this situation where games are ending at 11 pm is just ridiculous.

While the money is in the subscription model, sports (and not just cricket) are going to end up with the lion’s share of their coverage being behind some kind of paywall (Even with the likes of Stand and Paramount+ who have an FTA partner). I think the days of the whole international summer and a decent offering of domestic cricket (of some format) are gone. Sports that want to go down the predominant paywall route also need to work more to reset peoples expectations around access too

Sports administrators need to work out how to walk the tightrope between ensuring a decent level of access and getting a reasonable return for rights - it won’t be a one size fits all solution though.

6 Likes

I would have to agree with this. If 9 got the rights it would be a split between 9 and Stan sport. But if 7 got them then who knows.

1 Like

Fox and Kayo coverage will take the feed provided by the local host broadcaster, PTV, but will have their own studio show, hosted by Isa Guha, before play and at lunch breaks.

Television commentary on the ground will feature former Australian players Michael Kasprowicz and Simon Katich as well as Pakistan legend Waqar Younis. Respected South African caller Mike Haysman will be joined by Pakistan’s Bazid Khan and Urooj Mumtaz as well as Englishman Rob Key.

1 Like

Fox Cricket 507 watermark:

Fox Cricket WCWC logo:

1 Like

BROADCAST DETAILS OF ICC WOMEN’S CRICKET WORLD CUP 2022 ANNOUNCED

• Debbie Hockley, Nasser Hussain, Lisa Sthalekar and Ian Smith named in a high-profile commentary team for the eight-team event

• Tournament will be the most widely distributed women’s cricket event of all time with Star Sports, Sky Sport, PTV, Gazi TV, Sky Sports and ESPN among broadcasters who will take the game to over one billion fans

• A fully produced world feed programme to be made available for broadcasters; DRS available at all matches

The International Cricket Council today announced the details of its broadcast arrangements for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022 including a star-studded commentary panel that will provide expert opinion during the eight-team tournament in New Zealand from 4 March to 3 April.

All matches of the prestigious tournament will be covered live by broadcast partners around the world, who will access a fully produced world feed programme from ICC TV using a minimum of 24 cameras at each of the six venues. The Decision Review System (DRS) will be available at all matches.

The commentary panel includes ICC Hall of Famers Debbie Hockley and Lisa Sthalekar, Anjum Chopra, Simon Doull, Mel Jones, Nasser Hussain, Lesley Murdoch, Natalie Germanos, Ian Smith, Lydia Greenway, Stacy-Ann King, Sanjay Manjrekar, Sana Mir, WV Raman, Kass Naidoo and Alan Wilkins.

Debbie Hockley: “ I have been waiting for this World Cup with great anticipation as has all of New Zealand. The 50-over World Cup is the ultimate tournament in many ways and it’s a matter of great honour for New Zealand to be hosting it for the third time.

“I have wonderful memories of this event, especially lifting the trophy at home in the year 2000. As part of the commentary panel, I am fortunate to be close to the action again and I think we might see history being repeated with the White Ferns coming on top at home!”

Nasser Hussain: “ Women’s cricket has made rapid progress in the past few years, and I have been following it very keenly. The world’s best have converged in New Zealand and I’m sure there are lots of thrills in store in the coming weeks.

“I can’t wait to get to the commentary box and watch the spectacle unfold.”

Ian Smith: “ Cricket World Cups get the best out of the players, and commentators as well. The Men’s Cricket World Cup three years ago saw a thrilling final that I was privileged to be a part of.

“I’m really looking forward to what promises to be an exciting tournament. I wish all eight teams the very best.”

Lisa Sthalekar : “ It’s great to be here for the Women’s Cricket World Cup, which I am sure will be a superb competition with the best on view. The last Cricket World Cup in England and the T20 World Cup in Australia were highly successful tournaments and got more people around the world to follow the women’s game.

“I am sure fans are looking forward to the tournament as are all the players, and I hope they enjoy every moment of it, as World Cups are extremely special.”

Sana Mir: “ I have had the honour of leading Pakistan in World Cups and I understand what it means to the players. The ICC championships have given the teams out of the top four nations a great opportunity to prepare better. I look forward to high quality cricket and close encounters.

“I am thrilled to be a part of the commentary team for this mega event and to be working with top professionals.”

ICC’s all-inclusive presentation: ICC TV’s all-inclusive production will allow broadcasters to transmit the matches without the need for a unilateral presentation set-up. In addition to live match coverage, a 30-minute pre-game build-up, an innings interval show and a post-game wrap-up will also be produced by ICC TV.

This will be the most widely distributed women’s cricket event of all time with unprecedented coverage from Star Sports and its Licensees making each match available live on a global basis. In India, Star Sports will have Hindi commentary for all India matches.

In addition, India’s matches against New Zealand, Australia and Bangladesh will also be produced in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada. In New Zealand, all the matches will be live on Sky Sports whilst highlights of all matches will be available on Sky’s Free to Air Channel Prime.

The opening match between New Zealand and the West Indies will also be live on Prime. Meanwhile, in Australia, Fox Sports has announced a dedicated 24/7 channel for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. The event will be live for the first time on ESPN+ in the US in addition to Willow’s coverage on TV.

Matches will be shown live across the world courtesy of ICC’s global broadcast partners:

Territory TV Digital

India, Star Sports Disney+Hotstar
Sri Lanka, Maldives, Nepal, Bhutan Star Sports Yupp TV
Bangladesh Gazi TV Rabbithole
Pakistan PTV Sports & Asports PTV & ARY App
UK & ROI Sky Sports Cricket SkyGo & Sky Sports YouTube
Australia WWC Channel (Fox 507) Kayo
New Zealand Sky Sports Cricket SkyNow and SkyGo
USA Willow TV ESPN+
Canada Willow TV Hotstar
Caribbean Islands ESPN ESPN App
South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa Supersport SuperSport app
MENA CricLife SwitchTV & StarzPlay
Malaysia, Singapore & Hong Kong Astro Cricket (Astro, Singtel & NowTV) Disney+Hotsar
Hong Kong Astro Cricket Now TV
Pacific Islands TVWAN (Digicel) Digicel App
South America ESPN via Star Plus
Europe, SEA, South America & Afghanistan Yupp TV

Digital content will be made available via the ICC Facebook and Instagram channels, with in-play clips and highlights clips in the Indian subcontinent) and 5-minute highlights (globally). In addition, BBC Sport (UK), ESPNCricinfo, ESPN and ESPN+ (U.S.A) and Spark Sport (NZ) will also provide coverage via short-form in-play and highlights clips.

BBC (UK), Sports Entertainment Network Radio (AUS & NZ) and Prasar Bharati (Hindi coverage via All India Radio) will have running commentaries on their FM channels, while Talk 100.3 FM of the United Arab Emirates will provide regular Hindi updates through the day. Prasar Bharati will additionally broadcast matches on their AM channel, while Digital 2 Sports will broadcast matches globally on their digital platform.

1 Like
2 Likes

Maybe we don’t need to speculate on his potential replacement less than 12 hours after his death was confirmed.

6 Likes

Apologies. RIP Warnie

Megan Barnard and Mel Jones going over to NZ wasn’t for Fox, they are on the ICC world feed, with Megan hosting today’s Aus v Eng game.

RIP King. :cry:

1 Like

The AUS v ENG game being simulcast on 501 and 507

2 Likes

Vale Shane Warne

Fox Sports today expressed its sadness at the sudden loss of one of its closest family members and favourite sons of Fox Cricket, Shane Warne.

Warne, who passed in the early hours of Saturday, was one of the greatest players in cricket history with an international career that spanned 15 years. The iconic leg-spinner was the first bowler to reach 700 test wickets and was an inspiring figure who transcended cricket in Australia and internationally, becoming one of the nation’s most-loved figures.

He worked with Fox Sports as an expert commentator since 2018 and had just finished calling The Ashes Series, captivating viewers in Australia and around the world.

In the commentary box, Warne was a devoted, loyal and passionate member of the team who added insight and analysis across all formats of the sport. He was a natural caller and student of the game with a knack for predicting big moments before they would occur.

Fox Sports Executive Director Steve Crawley said: “He was The King, Warnie. He could teach you more about cricket in a half hour commentary stint than any coach could teach you in a lifetime. He was a wonderful mate. A beautiful person. A scallywag. We loved him and he loved us. We will miss Shane every day.”

Foxtel Group CEO Patrick Delany said: “Our nation has lost an icon in Shane Keith Warne. And for us at Foxtel and Kayo, the loss is heavy.

“Warnie was the favourite son of Fox Cricket. One of our family. A once in a lifetime genius of our national game, on and off the field. A larger-than-life personality with charisma to spare. A colleague, a mate.

“Today, the Fox Sports team are grieving at the news of Shane’s passing. Our condolences go out to his family and those closest to him. We have lost a giant. Rest in peace, Warnie.’

1 Like

A shame not many watched the recent T20s against Sri Lanka, especially the last 2 games in Melbourne. I thought it was his best work all Summer and showed why he was easily one of the best commentators in the world at his best.

2 Likes

Is there two 507 feeds? Because both of yesterday’s games were on 507 according to Kayo, while the Aus game looked like that, the Ban game had the Shane Warne tribute under the watermark.

The Bangladesh game was on 508 all day while Australia v England was shown in full on 507.

1 Like
1 Like