Four Corners

The Postcode Wars: Street gangs, drugs and organised crime

Monday 12 September 8:30 PM

“It’s basically kill or be killed.” Teenage gang member

In suburban Australian streets there’s a turf war going on where teenagers are being attacked with knives and sometimes killed just for being in the wrong neighbourhood.

You fight for your area you know, as dumb as that sounds to most people, for us out here it’s something to die for." Former gang member

On Monday Four Corners goes deep inside the postcode wars. Reporter Grace Tobin has gained extraordinary access to the teenagers who are being drawn into the violence and the escalating criminal activities that follow.

“Essentially they’re being groomed, they’re being groomed for a life of crime.” Senior Detective

The program reveals the links between the teens on the streets and some of Australia’s notorious crime families and investigates the connections behind the recent spate of gangland shootings.

“The conflict’s over turf, drugs, money … they’re more ruthless, impulsive, they don’t regard the public or the community, they just do what they want to do.” Murdered victim’s friend.

The Postcode Wars, reported by Grace Tobin goes to air on Monday 12th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 13th September 11.00pm and Wednesday 14th September at 10am. It can also been seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Defining Dutton: Can the Liberals succeed under Peter Dutton?

Monday 26 September 8:30 PM

When Peter Dutton became Federal Opposition Leader in May, he declared that he wanted Australians to see the “entire person” – not just the persona shaped by his reputation as a former Queensland policeman-turned-Liberal party hard man.

On Monday Four Corners reporter Sean Nicholls puts that declaration to the test with a rare in-depth interview.

“Why have you decided to do this interview?” Sean Nicholls, reporter

“Sometimes the public only see a snapshot of you through a very quick grab in a news package or during question time. And in this role, you can show people a little bit more of the true … the full picture.” Peter Dutton, Liberal leader

In this program, Peter Dutton speaks about some of the issues that shaped him and his vision for Australia. Colleagues who’ve known him for many years also offer their insights.

“I think that what Peter Dutton has demonstrated over his time in parliament… is that he’s incredibly capable of growth and of evolving as a human being into a better person.” Former Dutton colleague

Sean Nicholls also speaks to people whose lives have been directly affected by Peter Dutton’s words and actions as a powerful cabinet minister.

“Like many politicians, he has attempted a makeover and is attempting a major makeover now as the new Leader of the Opposition. The leopard has not changed its spots. He still remains the leopard.” Dutton critic

Defining Dutton, reported by Sean Nicholls goes to air on Monday 26th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 27th September at 11pm and Wednesday 28th September at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners

No Place To Call Home: The new face of homelessness in Australia

Monday 3 October 8:30 PM

“I don’t want a handout or anything…I work all the time. All I just want is somewhere for me and the kids to call our home.” Single mother

In towns and cities across Australia, the critical lack of affordable and social housing now means people with low paying jobs are struggling to find accommodation. They are the new homeless and they’re growing in number.

“In 2018 we were seeing about 20 people a day coming through the service… four years later we’re seeing around 80 people a day.” Manager, homeless support service

On Four Corners, Monday, reporter Louise Milligan investigates the reasons behind Australia’s homelessness crisis. She meets single working mums living in motels, cars and even tents.

“I’ve got a tent and a swag… not being able to house my son, could be that I lose my son. I could not bear to lose him.” Single mother

The crisis is particularly acute in regional towns where record high rental prices combined with a lack of available houses means low-income workers have little hope of finding a home.

“They’re really struggling. They may have good references, they may have income, but they’re being declined because there’s 20 other applications.” Real estate agent

Louise Milligan also investigates what’s being done to solve the problem.

“I’ve never had so many people come to my electorate office as I have in the last 12 months with similar stories, and they’re heartbreaking . . . we are trying to move as quickly as we can.” Government minister

No Place To Call Home, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 3rd October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 4th August at 11.00pm and Wednesday 5th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.