Four Corners

The ABC today appointed Matthew Carney as the new EP of Four Corners.

Nowhere to run: abused by our coach

Monday 6th June at 8.30pm

“Sports coaches can have sex with or sexually abuse a sixteen-year-old and pretty much get away with it.” Charlie Webster, journalist and survivor

Journalist Charlie Webster has covered some of the biggest sporting events in the world. But there was one story she was never able to tell. Until now.

“When I was nineteen, our coach was arrested and convicted, and it was only then I realised I wasn’t the only one he’d abused.”

On Monday, Four Corners tells the story of what happened to a group of young female athletes who were groomed and abused by their running coach.

“Why did we never tell anyone? . . I just feel like I was first. I feel like I could have saved (them) or I could have said something.”

In a personal investigation Charlie Webster sets out to find her teenage running friends who all dreamt of becoming Olympic athletes, to learn the truth of what happened to them at the hands of a manipulative predator.

“To this day, I don’t know what my friends went through, can I find them, will they even talk to me?”

One by one she is reunited with the girls, who were once the best of friends and who also suffered in silence.

“I know now I wasn’t the first. I’ve spoken to another girl . . . she told me he’d abused her seven years before me.”

Disturbingly Charlie Webster’s investigation also reveals abuse by sports coaches is still not being adequately addressed by governing bodies.

“The more digging I do the more troubled I am by the scale of the problem in athletics.”

Charlie Webster is now using her story to advocate for better protection for young athletes, ensure abuse is exposed and perpetrators are punished.

“I just want to make sure nobody else goes through it. And people to understand why, to really understand why this has to stop.”

Nowhere to Run, reported by Charlie Webster, goes to air on Monday 6th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 7th June at 11pm and Wednesday 8th June at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC News channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1532147664179335168

Holding on to Hope: The race to solve dementia

Monday 13 June 8.30pm

“It’s the number one fear that older people have. More than any other disease … more than anything else.” Dementia clinician

Half a million Australians live with dementia and for the past two decades scientists have been working on a new drug treatment they hope will combat the most common form, Alzheimer’s disease.

“If we can give people another five years of quality life, that’s going to make a massive difference to people around the world. It’s going to make a massive difference to healthcare systems around the world as well.” Neurologist

Monday on Four Corners, the ABC’s health expert Dr Norman Swan investigates the science behind the treatment in the race to solve dementia.

“The drugs that we’re using should delay the onset of any cognitive impairment if the trial is successful.” Australian neuropathologist

But scientific community is divided. Dr Swan talks to world experts who claim the drug could be doing more harm than good.

“I would not prescribe it and I would not prescribe it for myself or anybody else in my family because of this lack of benefit and substantial risk of side effects.” American neurologist

The controversial debate has increased frustration amongst dementia patients and advocates who worry that too much hope has been placed in just one treatment option.

“We had too many centuries of dementia with no cure, no prevention, no delay. So we ought to be able to find something. It’s no use saying, ‘I will focus on this area and foreclose research into a whole range of other areas’. That’s not the way research ought to be conducted.” Dementia patient advocate

Dr Swan’s investigation also looks at evidence that lifestyle choices may help delay the onset of the disease while the world waits for a cure.

“If we get the whole population to be exercising more, eating more healthily, being more cognitively and socially engaged … that would reap enormous dividends.” Dementia authority

Holding on to Hope, reported by Dr Norman Swan, goes to air on Monday 13th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 14th June at 11.00pm and Wednesday 15th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners .

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1534699859302678528?s=20&t=J7svY_INB6u2X93384wxgQ

The Abduction of Milly Dowler

Monday 20 June 8.30pm

“I’m angry that he did it and got away with it for so long.” Milly Dowler’s best friend

Levi Bellfield is one of Britain’s most notorious serial killer but despite available evidence and tip offs, it took police several years to arrest him for the murder of three women, including British teenager Milly Dowler.

“Had they joined up all the dots, it could have led to his arrest much earlier, and that could have saved a lot of other people being attacked by him.” Crime reporter

On Monday Four Corners examines the failures in the investigation into the abduction and murder of 13-year-old Milly Dowler.

“It was a mess. There were no clear lines of enquiry.” Retired Det Chief Superintendent

This gripping film features interviews with senior police and those covering the case as evidence mounted up against the killer.

“There was a loft hatch which was closed. So they got a ladder, they got up into the loft hatch, and under the loft insulation, there he was, stark naked.” Former crime reporter.

Also speaking out is the murderer’s ex-partner who provided the crucial tip off which led to Bellfield’s arrest.

“When they asked me, ‘Why do you think you know who might have killed her?’ and I said, 'Because my kids’ father, my ex-boyfriend, is violent, he hates blondes, he knows the area very well, and he drives a white van ‘cos he’s a wheel clamper’.” Ex-partner of Levi Bellfield

The true crime documentary also sheds light on the role of the media in the Milly Dowler case, in particular the illegal activity undertaken by the Murdoch owned tabloid News of the World.

“We absolutely felt we were above the law, and we were above the law. If you could produce a News of the World press card, it was a get out of jail card.” Former News of the World reporter

Former senior police reveal investigators did not initially pursue the News of the World when it was clear the tabloid had information about the missing teenager that was obtained through criminal activity.

“The only way they could have achieved that was through hacking into Milly Dowler’s phone. Now, instead of actually investigating that, in effect, it seems as if they turned a blind eye to it, in order to appease the media.” Retired Det Chief Superintendent.

The newspaper was eventually shut down as a result of the hacking of Milly Dowler’s phone and serial killer Levi Bellfield was sentenced to life in prison.

“There’s always been a picture of Milly in the incident room and it was always a 13-year-old schoolgirl. When we eventually got to court, all her school friends, were women now… and that brought it home really that Milly had missed out on all that.” Retired Detective Constable

Bellfield will die behind bars, but Milly Dowler’s death and the harm he caused to many others still haunts those left behind.

“It just seems so harrowing that someone’s taken someone from you… and then actually went on to hurt more people. I think that’s what’s really upsetting, is that more people got hurt after that.” Milly Dowler’s best friend.

The Abduction of Milly Dowler goes to air on Monday 20th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 21st June at 11.00pm and Wednesday 22nd at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST and ABC iview.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1537228933371899906?s=20&t=DICul_wGKswS2gM_t8TWhw

Vape Haze: The new addiction of vaping

Monday 27 June at 8.30pm

“It’s the last thing you do before you go to sleep. It’s the first thing you do when you wake up. Sometimes you wake up a couple times during the night to hit it and then go back to sleep. Like it’s totally got a hold of you and it’s the only thing you think about.” Teenage vaper

Vaping is a multi-billion-dollar global industry that is rapidly growing in popularity amongst teenagers and young adults.

“It was very clearly marketed to young people, people who had never smoked. You had ads in teen magazines. You had ads on children’s cartoon websites. It’s no wonder this product appealed to young people so much. It was designed for them. It was marketed to them, and it was available to them.” Public health academic

Vaping was hailed as the new way to quit smoking but there are serious concerns the product is now causing nicotine addiction in teenagers.

“I was really fearful for her health. I felt really angry that this product existed, that seemed almost designed to appeal to kids. And now she couldn’t stop it. It was a horrible feeling.” Mother of teenage vaper

On Monday, Four Corners investigates the explosion in vaping amongst teenagers and the booming black market which is thriving in Australia due to a failure to police the rules.

“You can buy them from convenience stores. And there’s also kids and young adults who buy them overseas in bulk, and then sell them. Like you go on your phone, you’re like, “Can I pick up a vape?” And they’re like, “20 minutes.” And you just meet them somewhere and they just hand it to you.” Teenage vaper

Reporter Grace Tobin tracks down some of the suppliers who are illegally selling nicotine vapes either online or under the counter in stores.

“The reason we’ve got a black market is because people are bringing in these products, taking a chance that they won’t be apprehended, they’re landing them for about a dollar each and they’re selling in shops for 20 to 25, so this is a massive incentive for that to continue .” Public health professor

The program also examines the push into e-cigarettes from the big tobacco companies which has caused concern at the highest level of government.

“For me, it’s absolutely clear that as smoking rates come down, Big Tobacco is trying to drive up in a rearguard action, the use of nicotine-based vaping. In my mind, these are merchants of death.” Former health minister

Supporters of vaping argue the regulation surrounding the product is a major impediment for people relying on e-cigarettes to quit tobacco smoking.

“It’s idiocy that smokers who want to switch from deadly cigarettes to much safer vaping have to jump through hoops to do that, but if they want to keep using deadly cigarettes, they can get them very easily from 20,000 outlets. That’s crazy.” Vaping advocate

But public health researchers warn vaping poses a significant long-term risk.

“You are inhaling a cocktail of chemicals, particularly the flavouring chemicals that we have no idea what the long-term consequences of that are going to be.” Public health professor

Vape Haze, reported by Grace Tobin goes to air on Monday 27th June at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 28th June at 11.00pm and Wednesday 29th June at 10am. It can also been seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1539762788876181505?s=20&t=cmTEu65404T-xWzrWZM3FA

Dr Chau Chak Wing

Update

In February 2021, Justice Rares delivered judgment in Dr Chau Chak Wing’s defamation proceedings against the ABC and Fairfax Media Publications concerning the Four Corners program “Power and Influence”, broadcast on 5 June 2017. The Court found that the Four Corners program conveyed a number of defamatory imputations about Dr Chau. Following delivery of the Court’s judgment, the ABC removed “Power and Influence” from its website. Also on 5 June 2017, the ABC published an online article that included, among other matters, references to Dr Chau concerning similar subject matter to the “Power and Influence” program. The ABC has now removed that article from its website.

The War Within: How factional infighting contributed to the Liberal party’s election loss

Monday 4 July at 8:30pm

“(It’s) a cancer that’s infected the party and it needs to be excised. This cancer needs to be cut out. I’m speaking out because many, many people inside the Liberal party aren’t able to speak.” Former Liberal party state executive member

In the lead up to this year’s federal election a factional war inside the Liberal party was about to explode.

“It’s the eve of the election, they say, “Oh, well, let’s stop these factional games. Let’s just appoint them.” And that’s what happened. And I believe it cost them the election.” Former Liberal party member

Monday on Four Corners Liberal insiders speak out for the first time about the deep divisions within the party that directly implicated former Prime Minister Scott Morrison and went all the way to the High Court.

“There was World War 3 between the factions in terms of the candidates who had been nominated.” Senior Liberal

Scott Morrison’s involvement in overriding local branches to ensure the pre-selection of sitting members publicly reignited an ongoing feud within the Liberal party.

“The general public is completely turned off by what they see as factional games. That’s why we have to get our house in order. Our job is to fight for them, not fight each other.” senior Liberal MP

One popular sitting Liberal MP reveals the aggressive branch stacking by the conservative faction to try and get rid of her.

"They aggressively took over that meeting, every single executive spot that belonged to local people. They shouted over me. They shouted over anyone that disputed their claim for positions. These were people we’d never met before in our lives. A bunch of blokes who were working specifically to take me out. " Liberal MP

Reporter Sean Nicholls also reveals extraordinary allegations about back room Liberal party operatives and their relationships with wealthy business interests.

“I thought I’d seen it all. I’m pretty appalled . . I better not talk about this. I’m sorry.” Former Liberal party member

The War Within, reported by Sean Nicholls, goes to air on Monday 4th July at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 5th July at 11.00pm and Wednesday 6th July at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1542316689785643009

Washed Away

Monday 11 July 8:30 PM

“We can’t keep asking people to be flooded. It’s emotionally draining, it’s financially devastating. And it’s unfair. It’s unreasonable to just keep expecting these people to pick up the pieces for some of the decisions that the system has made.” Flood historian

On Monday, Four Corners examines Australia’s ongoing flood catastrophe. Reporter Adam Harvey travels to Lismore, Brisbane and Western Sydney and meets families struggling with current and past flood events. They tell stories of despair, abandonment, and financial ruin. Many have lost everything, including hope.

“I struggle to go home. I don’t like going back to the house at the moment. And I keep trying to convince myself that I’m dealing with this and I’m all right. I know that I’m actually not.” Flood victim

As the country finds itself in the middle of another flood crisis a critical issue is still not being addressed: why are governments ignoring warnings about building residential developments in areas that constantly flood?

“We are continuing to put Greenfield development onto the flood plain … where there is pretty significant risk to property and in some instances to life as well. And that is something that we just can’t continue to do.” Dean of Architecture

With more extreme weather predicted over the coming months the pressure is mounting for flood affected residents to make the traumatic choice – to move or rebuild.

“We just sit here in limbo. We don’t want to do any repairs, but it gets sad every morning, getting up to the same mess. It just doesn’t go away. They need to get on and get it sorted. We’re not the only ones living through this nightmare.” Flood victim

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1544825179192168448?s=20&t=SQFLLcWpRTBxkdYTFZJsgg

Washed Away, reported by Adam Harvey goes to air on Monday 11th July at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 12th July at 11.00pm and Wednesday 13th July at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Facing Beauty: China’s plastic surgery addiction

Monday 18 July 8:30 PM

“Up to now, my total spent is more than US$470,000. I feel to become someone I like; the price is worth it.” Beauty blogger

The plastic surgery industry in China is booming. Demand for cosmetic procedures is so widespread among the country’s young population it’s now estimated the industry will be worth $200 billion US by 2030.

“Because we are in a digital era now, we are in contact with the world more often. We hope to become more beautiful” Plastic surgeon

On Monday, Four Corners examines the massive growth in China’s beauty obsession. The program meets the social media influencers and the ordinary young Chinese who are prepared to undergo extreme procedures to radically change their appearance.

“Everything you see is fake … I have done hair transplants, I have done cranial top procedure. I have done forehead fillers, operated on my eyebrow arch, my double eyelids have been injected with hyaluronic acid. My nose has undergone four surgeries and three types of fat fillers.” Social media influencer

The plastic surgery boom is being influenced by beauty apps which promote an ideal ratio in human facial features. Once faces are assessed users can have plans for surgeries drawn up and be connected to endorsed clinics.

“The app said that I can go for a nose job, because the bottom of the nose is really low, and inject facial fillers to improve the sunken cheeks, because I may have laugh lines, right? Overall, I feel that it is quite scientific.” 21-year-old student

The growth in the industry has led to an expansion of medical beauty institutions who employ staff without adequate medical qualifications. Whilst some extreme procedures have been banned the demand for cosmetic change continues.

“It is unlike 10 or 20 years ago where plastic surgery was something that was embarrassing, it’s not like that anymore. It is now popularised by the masses.” Medical consultant.

Facing Beauty goes to air on Monday 18th July at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 19th July at 11.00pm and Wednesday 20th July at 10am. It can also been seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1547379860859142145?s=20&t=PcAWCGQ7l_5bhmqUOr7cKA

Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine

Monday 25 July 8:30 PM

“We see a lot of people out there who are suffering, and we’re determined to bring these therapies into the medical system, so psychiatrists can use them with their patients. That’s what we’re trying to do.” Psychedelic drug therapy advocate

In Australia and overseas there’s a push to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine for the treatment of trauma and other mental health conditions. Results from clinical trials are promising for PTSD sufferers where conventional treatments have failed.

“It shows that two in three people responded to the treatment. They didn’t meet criteria for PTSD anymore. And those were people that were treatment resistant.” Psychologist

On Monday Four Corners investigates the world of psychedelic drugs, including the underground supply which is being sourced by increasing numbers of people who don’t want to wait for the clinical trials to be concluded.

“The level of demand is huge. A lot of people are self-medicating, especially the psilocybin mushrooms, whether micro-dosing or, to different degrees, macro-dosing.” Psychedelic drug supplier

Reporter Elise Worthington also investigates the dark side of this form of therapy where disturbing cases of abuse and malpractice are emerging in both clinical trials and the underground.

“There’s everything from people being dosed without their consent, to people being encouraged to sleep with practitioners in exchange for services, to people being pressured to participate in group contexts, and so-called rituals that they otherwise wouldn’t have engaged in.” Underground researcher

There’s now pressure in the industry to downplay the negative stories by those who stand to profit from the business of psychedelics.

“There’s a sense of, well, don’t say anything bad about psychedelics because it’ll harm the movement and we’ll stop progressing . . And if that goes unchecked, then you could just have a situation where a lot of vulnerable people are being taken advantage of.” Whistle-blower

Psyched Up, reported by Elise Worthington, goes to air on Monday 25th July at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 26th July at 11.00pm and Wednesday 27th July at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1549922026890358784

Pacific Capture: How Chinese money is buying the Solomons

Monday 1 August 8:30 PM

On Monday Four Corners travels to the Solomon Islands to investigate the extent of Chinese influence and control in the strategically located Pacific nation.

Reporter Angus Grigg reveals new details about the Chinese money being used by Prime Minister Sogavare to secure his hold over the country.

“Reporter: Do you think this money helps the Prime Minister stay in power?

Solomon Islands MP: Well, he’s stayed in power, hasn’t he?”

The signing of a new security deal between the Solomon Islands and China has raised foreign policy concerns in Australia and the United States. There are also concerns amongst Solomon Islanders the deal will lead to the establishment of a military base.

“To suggest that we should have another country coming in here as a security partner, to even suggest the idea of having to build a military base, who are we building a military base for? Who are our enemies?” Solomon Islands MP

The program will also examine other key industries in the Solomon Islands where Chinese state-owned companies are taking over to the detriment of local communities.

“It is not at all good for Solomon Islands… it destroys the social fabric of every community. Brothers are fighting against brothers. Communities are no longer talking to each other.” Former Cabinet secretary.

Pacific Capture, reported by Angus Grigg, goes to air on Monday 1st August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 2nd August at 11.00pm and Wednesday 3rd at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1552456609515077633?s=20&t=IIRchw2S13V9-sDmdU5dUA

The Whistleblowers: Inside the UN

Monday 8 August 8:30 PM

The United Nations has been at the forefront of work to uphold human rights and promote global peace for more than 70 years. But what happens when the organisation responsible for fixing the world’s problems is accused of wrongdoing and corruption?

“Their idea in dealing with whistleblowers is they must destroy the individual, by any means necessary.” Former UN climate change adviser

On Monday Four Corners tells the story of several former UN insiders who allege a wide range of sexual abuse and corruption across many UN agencies. These first-hand accounts come from whistleblowers with decades of experience working at the world’s top diplomatic institution.

“Sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment in the UN happens in headquarters. It happens Monday to Friday, it happens during regular work hours. It happens everywhere.” Former UN senior advisor

The UN employs more than 35,000 staff, most of whom are protected by immunity from local laws. The whistleblowers’ stories reveal a culture of untouchability that reaches the highest levels of the organisation. Those who speak out and who take on the hierarchy do so at great personal cost.

“They told me that they had been sent by the UN, and that they were there to take me, basically against my will, to a mental hospital. So, effectively the UN tried to have me sectioned.” Former UN Human Rights officer

The Whistleblowers goes to air on Monday 8th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 9th August at 11pm and Wednesday 10th August at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC News channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1554979843132952576?s=20&t=DzuWfBhGGkwWIEMyfycJLA

Independents’ Day: Behind the scenes with the new force in politics

Monday 15 August 8:30 PM

“I feel like an imposter. . . it hasn’t sunk in yet. I think it won’t sink in until I get to sit in Parliament House on the 26th of July.”

On Monday Four Corners goes behind the scenes with some of the Independent women who defied the odds and defeated high profile politicians from the two major political parties. Reporter Louise Milligan has gained unusual access to two newly minted MPs and one Senator to document their transition to Canberra.

“We’ll need to make this our space…we’ll need to work on our feng shui! It’s strange to move into someone else’s space. I actually feel like I’m intruding at this point.” Independent MP

Four Corners has filmed personal moments, away from the public spotlight, as these new MPs begin to navigate their roles as elected MPs and Senators. We also document the moments when the reality of their public lives sinks in.

“I certainly am copping it from people in my electorate who said ‘and now you’re powerless’. . . ‘You didn’t hold the balance of power.’” Independent MP

The unexpected staff cutbacks initiated by Prime Minister Albanese have rocked the Independents over the last several weeks. In a parliament they hoped would be more reasonable it’s been viewed by some as an attack to limit their success.

“I don’t think he wants us to be a raging success, because then perhaps people in other electorates. . .might think that community independents are the way to go in other seats as well. . . It was an act of huge bastardry.” Independent MP

Independents’ Day, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 15th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 16th August at 11.00pm and Wednesday 17th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1557502052758011904

Myanmar: The Forgotten Revolution

Monday 22 August 8:30PM

Four Corners reports the inside story of a nation’s descent into a civil war largely ignored by the rest of the world.

“They are using us for target practice and torturing us.” Protester

Almost 20,000 people have reportedly been killed since the military seized power in Myanmar in February 2021.

Over the past year filmmakers have worked with local journalists who have risked their lives to secretly document the army’s brutal repression.

The result is a forensic investigation into the repeated use of lethal force on large numbers of peaceful protesters.

“I got quite angry, they were killing people like they kill poultry. As if it was nothing.” Protester

Despite the death toll, protesters continue to voice their opposition to the coup as growing numbers of young people leave their regular jobs to train with guerilla armies in the jungle.

Four Corners goes into the jungles of Myanmar to meet these young idealistic fighters who are risking everything in the fight for their country.

“All of us, including myself, are ready to fight until our last breath.” Gen Z activist

Myanmar: The Forgotten Revolution goes to air on Monday 22nd August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 23rd August at 11.00pm and Wednesday 24th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1560129869182210048?s=20&t=6nJh0tvRD9VZ4ZCTSHXhsg

https://twitter.com/radioaustralia/status/1561554841587032067?s=20&t=HKnJSIrCmU-xUxcwmO1D5Q

ABC response to Solomon Islands OPMC press release

The ABC wishes to correct the following factual errors in the press release issued by the Solomon Islands Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet regarding the Four Corners report “Pacific Capture“, which examined the impact of China’s growing presence across Solomon Islands.

At no point did the program rely on “misinformation and distribution of pre-conceived prejudicial information”.

It was not our intention to “cause division between the governments of Australia and Solomon Islands”, rather to highlight issues of concern to all Solomon Islanders.

We completely reject the offensive notion of “racial profiling that is bordering racism and race stereotyping”. In fact, we were determined to tell the story from the perspective of Solomon Islanders and the program reflected their concerns. Its main interviews were with two eminent Solomon Islanders, rather than relying on “foreign experts” as is often the case. The ABC rejects the idea that we were “putting words into the mouths of the interviewees” and sees this as insulting to the Solomon Islanders who appeared in the program.

On the issue of Kolombangara, the ABC did not say that the “shareholders have made a decision to sell off the company to a Chinese firm”. Rather, the program accurately reported that the issue had been discussed at board level and that the Australian directors were so concerned about a potential sale to a Chinese state-owned company that they twice wrote to the Federal Government expressing concerns that the purchase could be used by Beijing to establish a base under the cover of a commercial enterprise. Foreign Minister Penny Wong’s office confirmed it was aware of the issue. Her office has also not ruled out intervening. The ABC also notes that the plantation on Kolombangara is owned 85 per cent by the Nien Family of Taiwan and 15 per cent by the government of the Solomon Islands, not the 60/40 split claimed in the press release.

It is incorrect to claim that the program did not acknowledge that Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare “repeatedly reaffirmed to Solomon Islanders and the Pacific region that there will be no military or naval base in Solomon Islands”.

The program said: “At a meeting in Fiji, Sogavare assured the new Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese that Beijing won’t be allowed to establish a military base in the Solomons.” It went on to say that one of the main concerns was that a commercial enterprise controlled by Beijing could one day be used to house military assets.

The ABC stands by the accuracy and integrity of the reporting in this program.

2 Likes

The Wolf of Woy Woy: The working-class investors duped by a man the regulators won’t pursue

Monday 29 August 8.30PM

“He promised me I’d make a fortune. He promised me, ‘This would change your life’.” First time investor

When a smooth-talking businessman came to a working-class Australian suburb his promises of a better life were intoxicating. Hundreds of investors believed him and bought shares in the mining exploration company he spruiked.

“We’re just battlers. You know we did what we thought was right, we were led to believe it was going to make money.”

Instead, almost all the battlers lost their hard-earned cash, for some their entire life savings.

“After we invested our money . . . He virtually vanished.” Pensioner

On Monday Four Corners reporter Caro Meldrum-Hanna goes in pursuit of the elusive businessman and the missing money people invested in his business, obtaining hundreds of internal company documents.

“It became more and more apparent that it was just a vehicle . . to spend other people’s money.” Former employee

And we meet the company whistle-blower who says his complaints to Australia’s financial regulator fell on deaf ears.

“I blew the whistle. I raised the alarm, gave all the evidence through the proper channels and not even a phone call, email, nothing. I could have given them whatever they wanted. Not a peep from them.” Whistleblower

The Wolf of Woy Woy, reported by Caro Meldrum-Hanna, goes to air on Monday 29th August at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 30th August at 11.00pm and Wednesday 31st at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1562670342879203328?s=20&t=eWtZuz4oat5Xgu8j_QJRUA

Flight Risk: The inside story of the chaos at Qantas

Monday 5 September 8:30 PM

Until recently Qantas had a reputation envied by airlines all over the world. But now the Spirit of Australia is in damage control, beset by customer complaints and a demoralised workforce.

“It is gut-wrenching to see the company that we loved end up like this.” Former Qantas worker

On Monday Four Corners reports the inside story of the decline of Qantas. Reporter Stephen Long has spoken to current and former staff including pilots, flight attendants and baggage handlers. They tell a story of ruthless cost cutting and a divide and conquer culture.

"The cuts that have come from the decisions of management have been incredibly, incredibly deep. [It] is now impacting upon not only the customer experience, but … it just makes us feel like we’re disposable and almost like the company hates us." Flight attendant

While Qantas has blamed its recent problems on labour shortages and COVID illness, current and former staff point to a deliberate corporate strategy to outsource jobs as contributing significantly to the chaos inside the airline.

“I think what’s happened is we’ve taken an AFL standard team of ground handlers and ground staff and what we’ve done is, we’ve actually recruited the under 19s from the local park to replace them.” Pilot

Insiders are also worried that the airline’s reputation for safety is being put at risk by Qantas.

“We’re working longer hours. We are redlining, running at max capacity in a very dynamic, challenging environment. There’s a lot that can go wrong.” Pilot

Flight Risk, reported by Stephen Long goes to air on Monday 5th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 6th September at 11pm and Wednesday 7th September at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1565140178238586880?s=20&t=4llU9O10PQWRdtyz-8pVxw

According to The Australian, the Qantas episode will screen tonight despite continuing jousting behind the scenes between the ABC and the airline. The paper says that the ABC rejected an offer from Qantas CEO Alan Joyce for a full, unedited interview on Four Corners, instead the broadcaster offered that if Joyce agreed to an interview, it would run in full on one or more of its digital platforms, possibly including iView. Joyce turned down the offer.

1 Like