Four Corners

Someone at The Guardian took the time to count the anti-ABC articles.

News Corp has published 45 articles in just two days attacking the public broadcaster across its Australian mastheads.

The Media Unmade newsletter author Tim Burrowes said the News Corp coverage reminded him of “another low point” in 2013 when the Telegraph likened the then Labor minister Stephen Conroy to a despot because the paper was opposed to his media reforms.

The ABC told Guardian Australia News Corp’s reaction was expected. “The Australian’s first column attacking the story was published before the first episode had even gone to air,” a spokesperson said.

Standby for Part 2 of the 4 Corners story next Monday.

1 Like

ABC reporter Sarah Ferguson responds to Fox News’ legal threats over Four Corners report

Fox News’ General Counsel has threatened legal action against the ABC over a Four Corners investigation into Fox and how it promoted Donald Trump’s propaganda in the aftermath of the US presidential election.

The network’s General Counsel Bernard Gugar sent a letter to ABC Chair Ita Buttrose and Managing Director David Anderson before the first part of the program aired on Monday.

ABC reporter Sarah Ferguson, who’s behind the two-part investigation, said she was not swayed by Fox’s legal threats.

“We’re not in fear of anything… there are fewer more important stories to look at in America right now,” she said.

“I rest very comfortably knowing this is very important… to attack Four Corners and the brave editorial stance of [Executive Producer] Sally Neighbour just seems to be way off the mark.”

Audio:

The fall of Kabul: The last days of the war in Afghanistan

Monday 6 September at 8.30pm

"I don’t know what the Pashtun word for clusterfck is, but this is the most ridiculously outrageous screw up that I’ve ever experienced or even heard of." Strategic affairs analyst*

In the baking Afghan summer sun, thousands of people made a desperate dash for the airport in Kabul. Their city was convulsed with fear after the country’s leadership fled, leaving the Taliban back in the Presidential Palace. It was an inglorious end to the 20 year war effort to rid the nation of the Taliban.

“No one thought that it would be an absolute victory at this rapid scale like it was, it was lightning speed.” Kabul resident

“Police officers took off their uniforms, ministers fled their ministries, immigration officers went home and then for a period we had total anarchy and lawlessness.” Media owner

On Monday Four Corners takes you into the fall of Kabul. In interviews and videos from those on the ground, the program captures the drama and the chaos of the last 16 days.

“I’m not scared of dying, I really am not, but one thing that was on my mind the entire time was like, 'Oh my God, I don’t want to be caught alive.” Afghan pop star and women’s rights advocate

The airport became the scene of an unfolding nightmare with massive crowds flooding the terminal and runway, while others were locked out.

“We had rocks coming in from the crowd. The crowd were just building up. To hundreds, probably 500, 600 people. And you know, it started to get pretty dangerous. And the Marines were firing warning shots to keep the crowd away.” Former Australian soldier and contractor

Videos on social media showed the world the desperate lengths people were resorting to for a chance at freedom.

“Groups of people that were there, they rushed into the planes…The pilots also ran away, they were scared, so we couldn’t take that plane that day.” Afghan pop star and women’s rights advocate

Stories emerged of Afghans, including a rising soccer star, losing their lives after clinging to the undercarriage of a plane.

“He called me and he said 'I’m going to airport, maybe I can get on the plane and go to another country, where I can have a better future… That day Zaki died by falling off the airplane.” Friend and teammate

Pictures posted online showed hundreds of people squeezed into a US rescue flight, underscoring the scale of the crisis.

“We just had to sit down, legs crossed, and as we took off. The plane takes off pretty steeply and we just ended up in everyone’s lap… people were relieved, they were exhausted.” Former Australian soldier & contractor

Filmed around the world and on phones from secret locations, the program captures the stories of those who have escaped, and those who have been left behind.

“Afghan women are born warriors….I am a warrior. I’m going to fight my way through it, that’s all I know.” Female educator

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1433221469073391623?s=20

The fall of Kabul, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 6th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 7th September at 1.00pm and Wednesday 8th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners .

The Australian has a similar report today.

Bearing Witness: Exposing the secretive world of the Jehovah’s Witnesses

Monday 13 September at 8.30pm

“Everybody thinks that Jehovah’s Witnesses are just lovely people, friendly, nice-looking people, maybe a bit quirky, who knock on doors. And it’s very difficult to help people understand just how dangerous this group is.” Former Jehovah’s Witness

The Jehovah’s Witnesses are a religious group with eight million followers in multiple nations, including Australia. A knock on the door and an earnest offer to share their teachings is the only interaction most people will have with this god-fearing organisation. Few would know the extreme nature of their beliefs.

“We were taught that only Jehovah’s people in the organisation would survive Armageddon. It was our job to go out witnessing, to try and bring as many people in as we could and if you didn’t take the opportunity to witness, you had their blood on your hands.” Former Jehovah’s Witness

The door knocking is not some quaint pastime. Witness followers believe in a strict literal interpretation of the bible and that the end of the world is coming.

“They are raised in this kind of fear bubble in which they’re constantly being told the end of the world is near.” Expert witness

On Monday, former members of this group reveal the secretive practices used to instil fear and maintain discipline among followers.

“It’s supposed to be loving discipline. It’s actually, to me, it’s inhumane.” Former Jehovah’s Witness

With strict rules governing every aspect of their lives, these former Witnesses say the organisation is controlling and dangerous.

“They are absolute leaders with absolute power over the organisation.” Expert Witness

The conduct of the religious group came under scrutiny in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

“It is a pretty cruel way of dealing with someone, isn’t it, who has suffered sexual abuse?” Royal Commissioner

Now those who have escaped the group say it’s time to hold the Jehovah’s Witnesses to account.

“It’s twenty years I’ve been wanting people to hear this story.” Former Jehovah’s Witness

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1435734163164782598?s=20

Bearing Witness, reported by Adam Harvey, goes to air on Monday 13th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 14th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 15th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

2 Likes

Food Fraud: An Organised Crime

Monday 20 September at 8.30pm

“What we know for sure is that food fraud is growing exponentially and it’s more and more worrying.” Consumer advocate

Around the world a new type of crime is being carried out and it goes right to the heart of what we eat. Food fraud is a highly lucrative criminal enterprise that affects a huge range of products.

“There was a widespread fraud of several products — honey, pepper, cumin, paprika, many products.” Industry whistleblower

Criminal syndicates are infiltrating the global food suply chain, undermining the ability of consumers to trust what is on the label and what ends up on their plate.

“We found one product with about one third horse DNA in it, which was just an incredible finding. We went back and checked, double checked, and we triple checked, because we understood that if we were to go out public with such a story it was going to have quite an effect.” Irish food regulator

Scams range from the intentional mislabelling of inferior products in order to pass them off as premium items, to the substitution of one food stuff for something else entirely.

“Where was the source of it, that was the big question? Who put the horse meat inside the beef products?” Head of intelligence & investigations, Dutch Food & Consumer Safety Authority

Regulators are struggling to keep up with this burgeoning underground business which risks undermining the reputation of whole industries.

“Parmesan in general, Parma ham, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin oil, in fact the most important products are fake. It deteriorates the market, and it damages the image of Italian products.” Italian investigating magistrate

In this fascinating film, international food investigators show the many and varied scams they have uncovered and who is behind them.

“We bugged them, we monitored their emails. We went through all their assets, we put GPS to follow their trucks, we did some tailing. In short, it was a very complex investigation that lasted two years.” Italian investigating magistrate

And some of the results are very unpalatable.

“We find bone tissue, connective tissue, glands, mucous membranes, lymphoid tissue. So it’s been replaced by all the possible by-products and slaughterhouse waste that we can find. It’s quite unappetising.” Former food industry engineer

From the olive groves of Italy to the fish markets of France and the abattoirs of Poland, this film takes you on a culinary journey of a very different kind.

Food Fraud, a A France Télévisions production, goes to air on Monday 20th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 21st September at 1.00pm and Wednesday 22nd at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1438275206708011009?s=20

A League of Their Own

Monday 27 September at 8.30pm.

“The question we really need to ask is, is there sufficient due diligence, is there sufficient transparency and accountability?” Former soccer executive

In the depths of winter, in front of their ecstatic supporters, the Melbourne City soccer team held aloft the greatest prize in the Australian round ball code – the A-League grand final trophy. There was no doubting the passion and commitment of the fans that night but it’s unlikely they, or the fans of many other soccer clubs, know much about who controls the teams they love.

“All of a sudden, here comes this fabulous suitor, so it’s almost like a marriage of convenience, I guess. Maybe they were a little bit reluctant to dig too deeply into the background.” Sports transparency researcher

For decades Australian soccer has operated in the shadow of the other major sporting codes. Despite its immense popularity as a community sport, it’s struggled to attract the eyeballs, sponsorship, and the profile of the AFL and the NRL.

“Unless you have a very wealthy owner who is prepared to basically fund losses, most of the Australian clubs have found it very difficult and many have fallen by the wayside.” Former club owner

Almost half of Australia’s premier soccer clubs are owned or controlled by foreign entities, raising the question: Why? Who are they? And what are they getting out of it?

“We should be aware of who are the owners, how they’re financed, how they’re structured and why they’re here and what they’re getting out of it.” Former soccer executive

On Monday Four Corners investigates the powerbrokers dominating Australian soccer. From the deep pockets of the foreign owners funding Melbourne City, Sydney FC and the Brisbane Roar, to the faceless investors backing Adelaide United, the program examines the finances and the personalities behind the sport.

“Do you really want to be run by a government that’s committing war crimes?” Human rights researcher

Some are warning that the A-League is being used as part of an expensive public relations exercise on behalf of backers with a questionable reputation, known as ‘sportswashing’.

“Sportswashing is essentially taking that positive attribute that’s associated with sport and using it to improve your reputation…leveraging off the glamour, the access, the universal appeal of sport, to improve your brand, and it can also be seen to disguise or divert away from human rights violations.” Human rights campaigner

Incredibly, some clubs refuse to publicly reveal who is actually paying the bills.

“I think any entity wanting to come into the A-League should disclose precisely who they are and what they are. I think the fans of each individual club are entitled to know that.” Former club owner

Away from the bright lights of the big games and big names, those who know and love the sport say the Australian public should know a lot more about who is really controlling “the beautiful game”.

“It matters because in sport, as in life, transparency and accountability matter. And therefore, if we hold those things to be important, they are important in sport.” Former soccer executive

A League of Their Own, reported by Sean Nicholls, goes to air on Monday 27th September at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 28th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 29th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1440813323314884614?s=20

The secret riches of a parallel universe

Monday 4 October at 8:30pm

“I think some of the best money is to be made if you’re willing to turn a blind eye.” Former investigator

Next week on Four Corners, a major investigation into a parallel financial universe that’s out of reach for most Australians.

"These arrangements, they’re not clever. They’re not harmless. They victimise the entire Australian society.‘’ Government official

Months in the making, this exposé reveals who’s benefiting and who’s behind it…

“They pay the fine and then it’s just business as usual.” Integrity expert

… and how the authorities are being left in the dark.

“The outrage that would be expressed by Australians if they knew…they’d be furious.” Australian Senator

The secret riches of a parallel universe, reported by Elise Worthington, goes to air on Monday 4th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 5th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 6th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1443706368188313629?s=20

UPDATE to tonight

From Elise Worthington.

For the past couple of months, I’ve been working with hundreds of journalists around the world on a major international investigation coordinated by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

We’ve been sorting through almost 12 million documents provided in a massive global data leak.

The leak shows how the wealthy and powerful are continuing to use offshore tax havens to hide their ownership of assets and stash their cash, despite attempts to reign the industry in. It’s estimated up to a tenth of the world’s wealth is parked in offshore financial centres, costing governments hundreds of billions of dollars in lost tax revenue each year.

And it’s happening in Australia. The documents expose the inner workings of a little-known Australian accountant and his international firm, which has helped high risk clients set up complex offshore structures to move their money – some of it into Australia.

Tonight, Four Corners can finally reveal the findings of the Pandora Papers.

2 Likes

Facing the music: The Sony Music scandal

Monday 11 October at 8.30pm.

“I don’t think anywhere else in the world you would have a CEO of a music company with that much power.” Former Sony employee, 2000s

In June this year, one of Australia’s biggest record companies, Sony Music, rocked the music world when it announced the sacking of its long-time CEO, Denis Handlin.

Denis Handlin and my incredible crew at Sony - I wouldn’t have a career without you.” Amy Shark, singer

Denis Handlin doesn’t look like the picture of a rock and roll god but for decades the Sony Music CEO and industry chair was one of the most powerful men in Australian music . When the stars came out to celebrate they always sang his praises. But behind the smiles, the industry had a secret.

“I think a lot of people feel fear when they hear that name.” Former Sony Music employee, 2010s

His reign came to an end four months ago when he was fired as the company announced an investigation into its “workplace culture”.

“I was stunned actually. I thought he had operated with such impunity for so long that I just couldn’t believe that it had actually happened.” Former music industry employee, 1980’s

Now Four Corners can reveal the inside story of Sony Music, where fear and intimidation stalked the corridors for decades.

“It’s always been a massive story that has been waiting to come out, and could never come out while Denis was still at the helm, because people were so scared.” Former snr Sony employee, 2000s

Former Sony Music employees are breaking their silence to expose what they endured for so many years.

“I felt targeted, I felt manipulated, and I certainly felt abused. There’s only so much you can put up with.” Former Sony employee, 1990s

There is nothing glamorous about the picture that emerges of this music making machine, where appalling behaviour was normalised and covered up.

“There was a sense that he was untouchable.” Former Sony executive, 2000s

Many who worked in this toxic environment say those who allowed this to go on should also be held to account.

“I think the thing that has upset most of us, was that New York said, ‘Oh, we just found out about this problem, this has just come to light.’ That myth has to be challenged.” Former Sony executive, 1980s

Facing the music, reported by Grace Tobin, goes to air on Monday 11th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 12th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 13th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

In response to tonight’s program

The life and times of Angela Merkel

Monday 18 October at 8.30pm

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1448440361248903171?s=20

“Angela Merkel is a person of extraordinary discipline.” Annette Schavan, Former German Education Minister

For 16 years, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been on the world stage as a trailblazing leader. While running one of the most powerful nations on the globe, she has often been the only female decision maker in the room.

“Over the years, she has really learned to use the vanity of some men to her advantage.” Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission

Now, after 30 years in politics and four terms in office, Angela Merkel has chosen to leave public life at the height of her popularity. No other world leader has left office at a time of their own choosing after such a long tenure at the pinnacle of power.

“Everybody underestimated her.” Volker Schlondorff, filmmaker

Despite her stature and years in the spotlight, she has remained an enigma. In this fascinating portrait, the program traces Angela Merkel’s life story and how she rose to power and wielded it.

“She’s not a woman who’s going to get the crowd on its feet, but she’s a strong woman. And simply by way of her embodiment of Europe, she is a great European.” Nicolas Sarkozy, former French President
Angela Merkel’s life story is laid out in interviews with those who have known her across the decades. From her childhood and teenage years in East Germany at the height of the Cold War, a picture emerges of a studious reserved young woman.

“She won’t like us talking about her, but never mind!” Volker Schlondorff, childhood friend

Her entry and success in politics was by no means assured. Again and again she stared down and outsmarted the many men who patronised and tried to sideline her.

“They didn’t want this woman to come to power and she understood that.” Alice Schwarzer, feminist and political editor

Her focus was on ideas, not on appearances, and her Soviet era childhood did not prepare her for the scrutiny she would face.

“It was a bit traumatic for her…She didn’t expect this. She’s from the east, she’s a physicist, she’s a Protestant…She has her own style. She’s not the worldly woman, she’s not the sexy woman, she’s not the intellectual woman… she’s the every woman.” Alice Schwarzer, feminist and political editor

Former world leaders, including former British Prime Minister Tony Blair speak openly about their dealings with her and reflect upon her influence on global events.

“There was a meeting of minds from the first moment. She was quite different from the other chancellors I met. Very calm, much less assertive, much less aggressive but with a quiet authority.” Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair

As she prepares to leave politics behind, her supporters say her legacy is a lesson in leadership.

“You have to go against the tide because only when you have vision, can you lead.” Michael Schindhelm, friend

The life and times of Angela Merkel produced for France 5 goes to air on Monday 18th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 19th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 20th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

1 Like

Cosmetic Cowboys: The unregulated world of cosmetic surgery

Monday 25 October at 8.30pm

“I would describe the cosmetic treatments industry as like the wild west, but without the sheriffs.” Health regulation consultant

Once upon a time, cosmetic surgery was only for the wealthy. Today, it’s advertised and marketed as a perfectly normal experience for anyone who can afford it. Cosmetic surgeons have become social media stars with followers in the millions. But behind the glitz and glamour lie some ugly truths.

“It’s ruined a huge part of my life.” Patient

On Monday, Four Corners, in a joint investigation with The Age and Sydney Morning Herald, exposes alarming practices in this multi-billion-dollar industry and reveals how the regulatory system is failing to protect Australians.

“How can an individual …treat another human being like that?” Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery is marketed as easy and safe, but as this investigation shows, the consequences can be devastating.

“I’ve never seen anything like this. It’s staggering.” Surgeon

In this extraordinary and shocking report from Gold Walkley award winner Adele Ferguson, she investigates how this industry has been able to flourish.

“It’s basically lawless. It’s like any other consumer market - it’s buyer beware, except that people’s lives can be put at risk.” Health regulation consultant

Without effective regulation former patients fear Australians will continue to be in harm’s way.

"Here I am still worrying that it could happen to somebody else…again.‘’ Patient

Cosmetic Cowboys, reported by Adele Ferguson, goes to air on Monday 25th October at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 26th October at 1.00pm and Wednesday 27th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1452069941276905479?s=20

Season Final Monday 8 November.