Four Corners

Going, Going, Gone: What’s driving Australia’s property frenzy

Monday 1 November at 8.30pm

“I just don’t believe how much prices have jumped. These prices are far exceeding what I think is a fair and reasonable market price.” Buyer’s agent, Sydney

Across Australia, property prices are going through the roof, pushing the total value of residential real estate to a staggering nine trillion dollars.

“It is definitely the hottest market I’ve ever seen with the low supply, the lower interest rates and the cost of borrowing, money being so cheap.” Real estate agent, Brisbane

When the pandemic hit in 2020, there were fears the property market would collapse. Instead, house prices have risen at the fastest pace in at least three decades.

“We thought it would stop for a pandemic, but it hasn’t. I think it’s gone against all the experts and predictors out there; it just keeps going.” Auctioneer, Melbourne

City prices are eye watering, and the phenomenon is spreading. As people seize the chance to work from home, a stampede of buyers has sparked a property buying frenzy in regional Australia as well.

“Properties in Tasmania are literally selling within around about 48 hours. I’d say that for every property that we sell, we could probably sell it 10 times over.” Real estate agent

On paper, it’s made many homeowners across Australia millionaires. In reality, it’s seen buyers mortgaged to the hilt, while others are priced out altogether.

“The great Australian dream has been about home ownership. It’s now become a lot of people’s nightmare.” Housing policy expert

On Monday, Four Corners tracks the property price boom that’s fuelling risky and irrational behaviour and investigates what is driving it.

“People are buying property sight unseen from another state. People are waiving their rights to finance…they’re not doing building inspections…there’s a lot of people taking a lot of risk.” Buyer’s agent, Tasmania

For many people, the housing market has become unaffordable and it’s creating a generational divide. Home ownership among those under the age of 45 has plunged to levels not seen since the 1950s.

“For my generation it means a lot less home ownership. I feel it’s very unfair.” Sydney home hunter

There’s a sense of despair and disillusionment from many who have worked and saved, only to see their dream slip out of sight.

“I did everything right. I did everything that every politician has ever told us to do… The situation’s left me feeling completely defeated.” Nurse, Tasmania

As the divide between the haves and have nots grows, housing experts warn there will be consequences.

“Housing has become, rather than a place of security where you raise a family, something that you seek to create wealth from and speculate on. So, that is a really big shift over the last 40 years. And it’s one that I don’t think will serve the future well.” Housing expert

Going, going gone, reported by Stephen Long, goes to air on Monday 1st November at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 2nd November at 1.00pm and Wednesday 3rd at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners .

https://twitter.com/4corners/status/1453567699800367107?s=20

I just watched the program, holy hell this guy should have been struck off years ago.

I had read the bit about the nurses being asked to take human fat home when they knew an auditor was coming. But I didn’t know that this was because the fat was to be re-injected into patients during other procedures! And he has the gall to call it a ‘special fat transfer bank’ on his website:

https://www.drlanzer.com.au/liposuction/fat-transfer/#:~:text=Fat%20stored%20in%20our%20special%20fat%20transfer%20bank%20can%20be%20injected%20at%20any%20time%20in%20the%20Sydney%20clinic.

The title ‘surgeon’ and ‘cosmetic surgeon’ must be protected. It is clear that members of the public have no idea that the qualifications required to operate under these titles are no more than what’s required for a general practitioner, and allows narcissistic shysters like Lanzer to perform procedures without any significant training.

Well done to Four Corners + Nine’s newspapers for getting this scalp.

3 Likes

Obeid Inc: the secret deals making the Obeid family millions

Monday 8 November at 8.30pm

“I am satisfied that the objective seriousness of the conspiracy was one of the highest order.” Supreme Court Justice Elizabeth Fullerton

The name Eddie Obeid once inspired fear. As a Labor factional boss, he was the ultimate backroom kingmaker.

“He didn’t want to talk, didn’t want to fraternise…To me, his business was done behind closed doors.” Former NSW MP

Today, his name is a byword for corruption and abuse of office. Just over two weeks ago, he was sentenced to jail for a second time, after being found guilty alongside one of his sons of conspiring to rig a lucrative mining tender to benefit the family.

“The Obeids bought a family farm up in the Bylong Valley. They seem to have discovered that there was coal under the soil. And they set out to manipulate that… it was just like a windfall profit.” Former Counsel Assisting, NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)

The corruption watchdog’s investigations into the Obeid dealings exposed the inner workings of the family business model.

“The Obeids operation is simple, straightforward, and it’s used over and over and over again…They love a little trustee, a discretionary trust in which these people who are cooperative agree to hold benefits on trust for the Obeid’s family.” Former Counsel Assisting, ICAC

But the story does not end with Eddie Obeid behind bars. A staggering $30 million dollars from that criminal deal is still in hands of Eddie Obeid and his family companies, and they owe millions more in court costs and unpaid taxes. On Monday, Four Corners reveals how business is still booming for the Obeids and funding their lavish lifestyle.

“They’re still in private schools, they’re still in luxury houses, they’re still living their affluent lifestyle. It doesn’t appear to have had any negative impact at all. As far as I can tell…it’s just business as usual.” Star witness

For months Four Corners has been on the financial trail and has uncovered secret business dealings which could reap the Obeids millions more.

“What if I told you the Obeid family, that is Eddie Obeid and his children are behind that?” Angus Grigg, reporter

Obeid Inc, reported by Angus Grigg, goes to air on Monday 8th November at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 9th at 1.00pm and Wednesday 10th at 11.20pm. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1456006521641263107?s=20

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1456794671724695552?s=20

Companion piece to tonight’s Obeid Inc story.

Returns Monday Nights at 8:30 pm from 7 February

Four Corners is Australia’s longest running current affairs program and a powerhouse of
investigative journalism - fearless and forensic, holding power to account throughout six decades – and counting.

Since August 1961, Four Corners has been exposing scandals, triggering inquiries, firing debate and confronting taboos for and behalf of the Australian public.

The program’s excellence in journalism and film-making has amassed 62 Walkley awards, seven of them the coveted Gold, 23 Logie awards and has earned worldwide recognition and an array of other
international awards.

ELECTION 22: Scott Morrison, the incumbent | Part 1

Monday 7 February at 8.30pm

Election 22: Australia’s Choice

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1488998215567360002?s=20&t=MfCVKgyQB7k0NPRuUlTruQ

“I look at both major parties and I’m really struggling having any kind of trust in either of them.” Retired engineer, seat of Corangamite, VIC

Some time in the next four months Australians will head to the ballot box to choose the next Prime Minister. Political strategists, pollsters and the media will be doing all they can to get into the heads of voters, to predict and analyse the outcome. On Monday, Four Corners kicks off a new season with the first in a two-part special focusing on voters as they weigh up their options in key electorates across the nation, to find out what it will take to get their vote.

Part 1: The Incumbent.

“Mr Morrison, coming up to where we are today, I don’t truly know what you stand for.” Management consultant, seat of Gilmore, NSW

Three years after he led the coalition to a “miracle” election victory, Prime Minister Scott Morrison is asking for another term in office. In this first episode, voters assess the key moments of Scott Morrison’s prime ministership, and share their opinions of his leadership.

“He’s just a sort of bloke. I mean, I don’t think there’s anything malicious, or whatever about his attitude. It’s just a standard white, middle class male attitude.” Retiree, seat of Corangamite, VIC

In frank interviews, these voters – who live in critical electorates and identified themselves as undecided – deliver a report card on everything from the unfolding pandemic to climate policy and matters of trust.

“People attack him about being a liar. I wouldn’t go as far as saying necessarily a liar, but I think in some cases he’s sly. So, I don’t think he always tells everything a hundred percent because he’s got other motives.” Media sales consultant, seat of Gilmore, NSW

They don’t shy away from voicing their opinions on the contentious moments of Scott Morrison’s prime ministership.

"He does not accept any mistakes. So he just tries to go around, round, round, in order to justify what his actions were. But he, he really does not accept any mistakes. Civil engineer, seat of Parramatta, NSW

Many have strong praise for the big decisions taken by the PM to guide the nation through the economic crisis caused by COVID-19.

“It was good policy, it was necessary. People were losing jobs and businesses were going under. And it was only through the Job Keeper that they could actually keep people employed, and so that was super important.” Pharmacist, seat of Chisholm, VIC

But the government’s response to the spread of the Omicron variant has also fuelled frustration.

“I don’t think there’s been much foresight, trying to see ‘well what could be the next thing happening down the track? What can we possibly foresee or prepare for in future?’. I don’t think he’s done very well with that. And I think people might reflect on that.” Tax auditor, seat of Cowan, WA

This cross section of voters provide an insightful portrait of Scott Morrison’s prime ministership and the questions he’ll need to answer to persuade Australians to give him another go.

“I generally do not make-up my final decision until probably a couple of weeks before the election…it’s a long time in politics. Just a couple of weeks (and) a lot can change.” Administration & accounts officer, seat of Longman, QLD

The following week, in part two of this special, the voters turn their attention to Labor leader Anthony Albanese.

"I think when I first heard that Anthony Albanese had taken over as leader, I think my first opinion was scratching my head going, “Really? Is he the best they’ve got?” Media sales consultant, seat of Gilmore, NSW

Election 22: Australia’s Choice, reported by Sean Nicholls. Part 1 goes to air on Monday 7th February at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 8th February at 11.00pm and Wednesday 9th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners

ELECTION 2022: Anthony Albanese, the contender | Part 2

Monday 14 February at 8.30pm

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1491525760791859203?s=20&t=xpngfh_Ozkg4PeJyPQ9x4A

“I want you to impress upon me why I should elect you… and your party to lead this country into the future.” Voter, seat of Gilmore, NSW

With an election due some time in the next few months, Opposition Leader, Anthony Albanese is facing the biggest test of his political life. His job is to convince voters that he, and the Labor party, are ready to run the country.

On Monday, in part two of this Four Corners political special, voters in key seats give their assessment of Anthony Albanese’s performance so far.

“When I first heard that Anthony Albanese had taken over as leader, I think my first opinion was scratching my head going, ‘Really? Is he the best they’ve got?’” Voter, seat of Gilmore, NSW

Mr Albanese emerged as leader from the smoking ruins of Labor’s 2019 election loss. He’s devoted his life to politics, with a strong personal brand in his Sydney electorate. The question is, does the rest of Australia know who he is?

“Unknown, untested and untried.” Voter, seat of Corangamite, VIC

As leader, Anthony Albanese jettisoned the major policies many blamed for Labor’s electoral loss and adopted a small target strategy. This has left some voters questioning what he, and his party, stand for.

“Small target approach - It’s a little bit annoying because I want to know definitely, what are you standing for? Where are you, moving forward? And what do you want to do?,” Voter, seat of Cowan, WA

The ability to “cut through” as an opposition leader is a difficult task at the best of times, made all the harder in the midst of a global pandemic. Some like the non-partisan approach Mr Albanese has taken during this national emergency.

“I really liked his efforts…he seemed to throw all his weight behind the government and what the government, both federally and on a state and territory basis, were trying to do, which was very impressive.” Voter, seat of Gilmore, NSW

But with the election looming, these voters, who identified themselves as undecided, give their unvarnished assessments of Labor’s economic credentials and approach to climate change.

“It’s better than the Coalition’s policy, but it’s nowhere near strong enough. I mean, you look at other areas in the world and we’re so far behind. Honestly, it makes me embarrassed to be Australian when I look at the two main parties and what, what their proposals are. It’s, really poor.” Voter, seat of Corangamite, VIC

These voters give an insight into what many in the electorate are looking for as they prepare to cast their vote, and show how big the task is for Anthony Albanese.

“Is he leadership material? Haven’t seen that yet.” Voter, seat of Chisholm, VIC

Election 22: Australia’s Choice, reported by Sean Nicholls, goes to air on Monday 14th February at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 8th February at 11.00pm and Wednesday 9th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST,

Feral: The bitter clash of culture over Australia’s wild horses

Monday 21 February 8.30pm

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1494065006941732864?s=20&t=WsfLGwe5sVlx0sIXMhoR4A

“Whatever life I’ve got left in me, I’ll fight for them.” Business owner and horse activist

In the magnificent high country of the Snowy Mountains, wild horses roam the land. Immortalised and celebrated in poems, books and films, these ‘brumbies’ are a spectacular sight, inspiring deep emotions.

“You read that poem ‘The Man from Snowy River’… it expresses a great bonding and a great spiritual connection between these people and this culture that’s in the mountains.” Business owner and horse activist

Not everyone subscribes to this romantic view of the history these horses are said to represent.

“This is a culture war. This is where they want to dominate what they think Australia is…The colonial crowd feel that they are the mountain men and women and they have a monopoly over what this place is.” River guide

An ugly divide is cutting through the country towns and surrounding mountains. At the centre of it is a question – are these horses a national icon or feral pests?

“If horses are allowed to persist in these really sensitive areas, they’re going to destroy them. The park is under significant threat.” Former park ranger

Ecologists and rangers have been warning that one of the nation’s most precious national parks is in deep trouble with soaring horse numbers creating major damage to the protected environment.

“The grass is an inch high. Piles of manure every 20 metres. The banks of Currango Creek completely trodden down…The water in it, instead of being gin clear, you can’t even see the bottom. The erosion caused by the horses is just dramatic.” Volunteer

Horse activists completely reject any assertions that the brumbies are to blame.

“We don’t trust the science. And the science has been corrupted by politics.” Business owner and horse activist

They believe the brumbies, and Australia’s national identity are under attack.

“If it wasn’t for the horses, there’s nothing left to prove that we existed. They’re the last piece.” Horse activist

The debate has turned ugly with online abuse, property damage and even death threats.

“If you speak out and you’re threatening a strongly held belief, some people are going to react, and I’m expecting that here.” Ecologist and farmer

The stakes couldn’t be higher for these majestic mountains, captured in stunning Four Corners’ cinematography from the land and the air.

“I’m a lover of the mountains, I love horses too, but for the preservation of that ecology — good science rather than romantic bullshit should be listened to.” Farmer

Feral, reported by Adam Harvey, goes to air on Monday 21st February at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 22nd February at 11.00pm and Wednesday 23rd at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Will wild horses be more popular than politicians next Monday?

Russia vs Russia: Putin’s aggressive power play

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1496604242987335683

“Each time we have backed down from the West, they have aggressively imposed their economic, cultural models and their moral values on us… that will never happen again, that ship has sailed.” Putin political ally

In Ukraine, a serious escalation of the military and diplomatic crisis is taking place with Russian forces moving in as so-called “peacekeepers”. President Vladimir Putin has gone on the attack, taking aim at western nations, accusing them of threatening the Russian state and raising grievances dating back to the Cold War. Stoking the fires of this Russian nationalist sentiment is part of the Putin playbook.

“Putin’s regime needs legitimacy. No one believes the elections are legitimate anymore, no one sees economic growth, and his popularity is plummeting. He needed national unity in order to get the Russian people to come together around one idea.” Exiled economist

With growing dissent inside Russia, President Putin has sought to paint his opponents as tools of the West.

“There is a small percentage of young people who never knew the Soviet Union, and were brought up at a time when the Russian national idea had been abandoned. Our great mistake is that we have allowed this generation of 20 to 30-year-olds to grow up mixing Western values with their Russian culture.” Putin parliamentary ally

The regime has engaged in a ruthless campaign to shut down and lock up political opponents and activists.

“There is a team of professional killers that serve the state. They poisoned me twice.” Opposition activist

On Monday, in this timely film, the activists who have risked everything are speaking out about the abusive political climate in Russia.

“We were characterised as horrible people, and after, I received threats from people who wanted to shoot me, burn me, hang me.” Protestor

Many are ordinary citizens paying a heavy price for their political views.

“I’m a qualified engineer in the space industry. I used to work in a research institute, but I was forced to resign on the grounds that I was a political activist.”

High ranking political allies of President Putin say the protest movement gets what it deserves.

“They often find themselves tangled up in the justice system. If they are victims of anything, it’s not of Putin’s regime as they say, but of their own stupidity.” Putin political ally

Despite the dangers, members of the opposition movement say they will not be silenced.

“I don’t care if they follow me, if they listen in on me…We know the reality of this country, and who we are dealing with.” Opposition activist

RUSSIA VS RUSSIA, an Arte production, goes to air on Monday 28th February at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 1st March at 11.00pm and Wednesday 2nd at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Heart Failure: An investigation into the hidden killer in remote Australian communities

https://twitter.com/neighbour_s/status/1499175988634460163?s=20&t=_c-MnALl6jEMrawdLl7c5w

“We stand back and watch children, time after time again, year after year, decade after decade, having still the same end result. Which is dying far too young.” Cardiologist

Right now, in Australia there are young women dying from an easily preventable medical condition and an appalling lack of healthcare.

“The system failed her. The health system failed her. And if I don’t speak for her now and I don’t tell her story, it’s going to fail somebody else again, really soon.” Cousin

This should be a national scandal.

“If that was a white kid, in middle class Sydney, there’d be an uproar, okay? But it’s not a white kid. You know? It’s an Aboriginal kid living in the bush.” Indigenous health advocate

On Monday night, Four Corners investigates the shameful and, until now, hidden failure in public health taking place in remote Australian communities.

“It’s not fair. It’s racist. It’s unacceptable in Australia in 2021 and we’re not going to cop it anymore.” Indigenous health advocate

Incompetent and inexcusable medical care has resulted in multiple preventable deaths.

“Australia needs to know about this.” Health expert

Those left behind are heartbroken from the loss of treasured members of their community.

“What happened to her, was… it shouldn’t happen to anybody. It’s a human life. It should have been treated right…but she wasn’t treated as a human being.” Husband

Now they are telling their story to hold those in charge to account.

“We’ve got to get up, we’ve got to stand up and start saying something, otherwise it’ll keep doing it to us.” Husband

Heart Failure, reported by Louise Milligan, goes to air on Monday 7th March at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 8th March at 11.00pm and Wednesday 9th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

Promo

State Control

State Control: Australians trapped, stripped of assets and silenced

Monday 14 March at 8.30pm

“It could happen to you, it could happen to me, it can happen to anybody. I’ve seen it.” Advocate, Tasmania

On Monday, a Four Corners investigation will reveal the stories of Australians who say they’ve been virtually abducted by the state, stripped of their assets and stopped from speaking out, until now.

“They can use your personal funds, your life savings, to fight you, to keep you entrapped in this system.” Advocate, Victoria

Some 50,000 Australians are currently under the control of Public Guardian and Trustee agencies around the country. By law, these ‘clients’ are banned from speaking out about what happens to them, and journalists can be fined or jailed for reporting on them. Four Corners went to court to fight for the right to have their voices heard.

“They are evil. They’re terrible. They are heartless. They are thoughtless. And they’re just money-hungry users.” Former Queensland Trustee ‘client’

Four Corners has uncovered astonishing cases where individuals say they are being held against their will and prevented from living in their own homes.

“I don’t like being effectively locked up. I want to live in the real world where I can do the things that I have done, and would do, and will do, I’m very lonely here for that reason. I don’t have anybody to talk to.” Trustee and Guardian ‘client’

And despite the Public Trustees’ express aim being to protect the health and finances of their ‘clients’, the investigation will reveal startling cases of financial mismanagement and fee gouging by these agencies around the country.

“The Public Trustee are the biggest perpetrators of financial abuse of elders. And this is actually legal, and this is part of the system. So, this to me is state sanctioned elder abuse.” Advocate, Queensland

This investigation, more than a year in the making, will expose how the system, designed to protect the vulnerable, does the very opposite.

“They’re a law unto themselves, they’re a power unto themselves. There needs to be some oversight into how their decisions are being made.” Daughter of a Public Trustee ‘client’, Western Australia

State Control, reported by Anne Connolly, goes to air on Monday 14th March at 8.30pm. It is replayed on Tuesday 15the March at 11.00pm and Wednesday 16th at 10am. It can also be seen on ABC NEWS channel on Saturday at 8.10pm AEST, ABC iview and at abc.net.au/4corners.

https://twitter.com/anneconnollyabc/status/1502831143044886528?s=20&t=7m19FPW1zTBy6esJ-7W_tA