Footy Classified

Next week’s episode will be shown on Sunday following the second game of the State of Origin in AFL markets. In Sydney and Brisbane it will remain on Monday on 9Gem.

I really enjoy footy classified. It’s probably my favourite of all the footy shows. However, Craig Hutchinson is terrible as a host. He is holding the show back. He always stumbles on words, says things incorrectly and can’t even open the show or articulate what is to come when going to a commercial. Sure he can be on the panel. But he should not be host. Gary Lyon was fantastic. He really is not.

2 Likes

Great show last night. Damien Barrett much better than Craig Hutchinson. But they need to get an autocue

3 Likes

Peter Ford said on 3AW this morning that Seven is making offers to panellists Matthew Lloyd and Caroline Wilson to switch camps. The duo works on 3AW’s AFL coverage and writes columns for The Age.

2 Likes

I think they are the two best panelists as well. If I were her I would jump camps. Nine still treat her with no respect. She has asked to do the intro and they won’t let her.

2 Likes

They should both do it, especially Wilson who’s been there for 12 (?) years. Could be used on a variety of shows at Seven. Lloydy for commentary (he was on 10’s coverage for a few years) and Caro for Talking Footy, The Kick, Game Day, list is endless…

1 Like

Even commentating would be good from Carro. She knows a lot about football. Although I am not sure she would have the right enthusiasm for commentating.

This will get complicated as Nine Entertainment owns Nine Network, 3AW and The Age, even though all three have editorial independence.

Tonight’s show began with a full tribute to Danny Frawley, who died this afternoon in a car crash. The panel then continued discussions on other issues stemming from last weekend’s round of AFL finals, and also on the future of Eddie Betts at Adelaide Crows.

Herald Sun’s Scott Gullan reported tonight that Chris Judd has quit the show after four seasons (he joined in April 2016, as stated in the first post of this thread). Judd will continue his radio commitments and his role as Carlton director.

IIRC he was only a fill-in in 2016.

He was the weakest panelist imo. Not opinionated enough, particularly about Carlton.

I agree. I think he was compromised as the Carlton director. Would much rather him do one or the other. I think Kane Cornes would be a good permanent panelist and would provide an Adelaide perspective.

Judd was fill-in in 2016 and 2017 and became full-time panellist last year.
Herald Sun is now saying Eddie McGuire’s production company JAM TV is looking to increase the show to two nights per week next year and have a rotating host system, with Kane Cornes included.

Is this their solution to replace the Footy Show? I guess the thinking is that a Monday is to discuss the weekends games and a Thursday is to discuss the upcoming weekends play.

4 Likes

Not sure if there is a need to air it twice a week. But as far as I know it is quite successful in that late night slot, especially in AFL states.

2 Likes

You mean the guy who brings nothing but trolling to the show? Yeah, sounds like a great move.
Although, with that said, pretty much the entire show is made up shit and trolling so you might be onto something.

1 Like

Typical Adelaide supporter response haha :laughing:

Got nothing to do with who I support champ.
Got plenty to do with him “getting ahead” in the media by saying controversial, made up rubbish. He’s learning well from his employer (and host of this).
I expect Kane to become the permanent 4th. Good for him. Doesn’t make the show any more or less watchable personally.
Like most AFL media, these guys enjoy putting themselves in the middle of stories they have no need to be in. Kane is one of those guys.

It was all said in jest. :wink:

Herald Sun reports that Footy Classified is set to expand into Tuesdays from next year, and could have former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Ross Lyon joining the panel, replacing Chris Judd. The report says there will be a rotating panel across the two nights with Craig Hutchison and Caroline Wilson likely to be kept to one appearance a week.