Football⚽️

This is disgraceful:

1 Like

And here I thought we could whack Argentina out of the World Cup with a mix of skills and fortune.

Yes, probably whenever Messi retires sometime in 2030s.

The “fortune” part helped with Australia’s goal (a deflection from Argentina) but being down only a goal late in the game gave them plenty of incentive to try and get an equaliser, but Argentina were just too good and deserved their win.

It’s been a great World Cup for Australia though in making the last 16, they should be happy with that.

6 Likes

Aaaaand normal service has resumed. Nine leading with the flares and capsicum spray at Fed Square. “And we go to Darling Harbour, how was the crowd behaved there?” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Argentina will face Netherlands which defeated USA 3-1 in the first game of Round of 16.

2 Likes

Radio headline this morning said “Socceroo fans broken-hearted”. Not sure about most people, but I think the team’s performance was brilliant. Perhaps ‘disappointed’ would have been a better description and most fans would be pretty happy with the performance and that the 2-1 result a credit. The public certainly got behind the team this year.

6 Likes

The fact that they kept Argentina goalless until 34 minutes in is a testament to how much they put into this.

2 Likes

To get to the round of 16 is an impressive feat especially for a side that qualified the hard way. The performance against Argentina was very respectable and the team can take great pride in how they played.

2 Likes

This morning’s game was a much better performance than the previous 3 - but the tournament has really shown the stark difference between how we play and how much better teams play tactically.

our qualification was a shit show - while qualifying in the next tournament will be easier (given the larger cohort of finalists), we need to perform a lot better

4 Likes

Disappointed that the socceroos lost? Yes. But still happy that we made the Round of 16. A big achievement for a team that didnt expect to get there.

And we actually played better than i thought they would against Argentina. A few chances to level the score in the final moments of the game. So tense.

3 Likes

Yes, i suspect local media coverage of the World Cup will die right off now that the Socceroos are out.

I’ll still be interested in how it plays out from here but will probably only watch the Final now.

3 Likes

And this is something i don’t get… you never see flares at any other sporting event, only soccer. What is it with soccer and flares?

It’s not something that I can explain. You either understand or you don’t. (not a dig at you)

2 Likes

Why are Australian soccer fans such flogs for?!

:rage:

2 Likes

huh?

Give it a crack champ, cause frankly it’s a poor look (not to mention illegal) that makes football fans look like a bunch of flogs.

Ita not just at soccer. I’ve seen flares at rugby league matches too. Rarely are there articles about those hoons at nrl.

4 Likes

They’re part of the atmosphere. Have you ever watched a non-UK football game?

1 Like

Because the average NRL crowd this year was 3.

Compared to the average a-league crowd of 2? Lol. And there flares articles is more. I think.

1 Like