Football⚽️

No they aren’t - they’re a shithouse anti-social element that the sport’s ultras have tried to normalise, despite it being illegal and dangerous.

2 Likes

While I do agree it has been done unsafely in the past and on occasion this morning, when done as most do (correctly and safely) it just ads to the atmosphere. Yes, from what I’ve seen this morning, there were ‘bandwagoners’ who dangerously and recklessly threw and shot flares into the crowd, which should not be repeated. But the fans who were there for France, Tunisia and don’t just jump on when we are winning, did it safely and in good spirit.
If that’s not your thing that’s fine and I respect that, but I enjoy it and the real fans who do it right do too.

France will meet old rival England in the World Cup quarter-final after they won their round of 16 clashes overnight. Olivier Giroud became the leading all-time goalscorer in the French national team (with 52 goals) and Kylian Mbappe scored a double in France’s 3-1 victory over Poland, while England easily accounted for Senegal 3-0.

In Monday’s action, Croatia beat Japan 3-1 in penalties after scores were locked at 1-all at the end of extra time. Japan had three misses during the penalty shootout. Croatia will meet Brazil in the quarter-final after the latter thrashed South Korea 4-1. Brazil scored all their goals inside the first 37 minutes of the match.

On Tuesday, Morocco made the World Cup quarter-finals for the first time by beating Spain 3-0 in penalties, after both teams failed to score goals in normal time and extra time. Morocco will meet Portugal in the quarters, with Portugal smashing Switzerland 6-1.

The quarter-final match-ups

3 Likes

We have seen an upset in the World Cup. Morocco became the third African nation in FIFA World Cup history to make it to the quarter finals.

2 Likes

There were plenty of upsets in the Group stage, but Morocco’s win over Spain is the first in the knockout stages. After 0-0 in regulations-extra time, Morocco advanced on penalties 3-0.

Portugal thrashed Switzerland 6-1 in the final Round of 16 game.

2 Likes

Plenty of drama in Friday’s World Cup quarter-finals.

Croatia and Brazil were locked at nil-all at the end of regulation time. They each scored a goal in extra time. Croatia won 4-2 in penalties marking the fourth time in the past five world cups that Brazil exited at the quarter-final stage.

Argentina were leading Netherlands 2-0 with only seven minutes to go in regular time, before the Dutch fought back through two goals from Wout Weghorst. They remained 2-all through extra time so another penalty shootout was needed. Netherlands missed the first two spot kicks while Argentina only missed one, and it was Lautaro Martinez who scored the winning penalty to lead his side to a 4-3 victory.

5 Likes

Both matches played from last night had penalty shootouts. I was very surprised when Croatia caused an upset over Brazil last night. They’ve stunned Japan in Round of 16 and now, they’ve beaten Brazil.

2 Likes

Wow BIG surprise with Brazil being knocked out!

Be very interested to see what happens in FRA v ENG tomorrow!

2 Likes

France defeated England 2-1. Striker Harry Kane had two penalties in the second half: he converted the first one to join Wayne Rooney as England’s all-time leading goalscorer. In the 84th minute, Kane had another spot kick to force the match into extra time, after Olivier Giroud scored the second goal for France in the 78th minute, but Kane’s shoot missed the bar.

France will meet Morocco in a semi-final, after the latter created another big upset by edging out Portugal 1-0, thanks to Youssef En-Nesyri’s goal in the 43rd minute. The result means Cristiano Ronaldo may have played his last World Cup match.

The other semi final will be between Argentina and Croatia.

3 Likes

I think Argentina and France will meet in the decider, but as we’ve just seen, upsets can and will happen!

It would be good to see the African nation (Morocco) win it from here though.

3 Likes

You would have almost heard both the cries of joy and the cries of anguish from the Strait of Gibraltar (again, I know they also beat Spain).

1 Like

Very surprised about how Morocco have been during the tournament. They stunned favourites Belgium in the World Stage, knocked off Spain in the Round of 16 and Portugal in Quarter Finals. Morocco became the first African team in fifa history to make it into the Semi Final.

2 Likes

The A-League Men’s and Women’s grand finals will be held in Sydney for the next three seasons after the NSW secured hosting rights.

The deal represents the first time in the A-League’s 18-year history that the highest-placed team will not be hosting the grand final.

2 Likes

Travesty

2 Likes

Why even have a grand final…

4 Likes

At this point it begs the question. The only reason they do is because the other Aussie sports do. And now with the Australia Cup the AFC don’t give a continental spot to the Grand Final winner, thus making it essentially redundant.

1 Like

people on Twitter aren’t happy over this

2 Likes

The A-Leagues have defended their decision to award the men’s and women’s grand finals to Sydney for the next three seasons, via an article on Keep Up website.

I’m not happy about it either. as someone pointed out on Twitter, what happens if Melbourne city and Melbourne Victory play each other in the gf .? they all have to fly to Sydney. and those wanting to see the gf will have to fly to Sydney

2 Likes

They can always watch it on Paramount+. Just won’t be able to live pause it of course.

7 Likes