Football⚽️

Typical Newscorp hit job:

All smiles from the “clashing” fans :roll_eyes:

1 Like

On I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here today live from the Australian jungle “Welcome back to Australia 1, France 4” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Croatia and Morocco played out to a Draw in Match 9 of the FIFA World Cup Tournament in Al Bayt Stadium. Both teams had a lot of opportunities during the match but missed a lot of set shots.

1 Like

Another upset at the World Cup with Germany losing 1-2 to Japan. Germany scored in the first half, before Japan found the back of the net twice in the last 15 minutes of the match.

Later, Spain thrashed Costa Rica 7-0 and Belgium edged out Canada 1-0.

4 Likes

Wow, these lopsided results are only going to get worse when they expand to 48 teams at the next World Cup in 2026.

3 Likes

Theres been a tlfew thrashings so far, and its only been a few days.

Agree. It will get worse when 48 teams are in it. Should be left at 32 teams.

3 Likes

Hopefully they will have the sense to make it 2 divisions in 2026… the Top 24 in one Division and the bottom 24 in another… then the 10 highest teams from the top group and the Top 6 from the bottom group go to the Round of 16… then it mightn’t be so bad. They could tinker with the 10 and 6 that progress… could be 12 and 4?

2 Likes

They’re apparently doing a new group stage that has groups of 3, followed by the same format knockouts as currently. Ridiculous. They could get more games by doing groups of 4 and taking the first and best seconds.

1 Like

Cristiano Ronaldo became the first man to score at 5 World Cups, helping Portugal to a 3-2 win over Ghana.

3 Likes

Iran have kept their World Cup hopes alive with a 2-0 win over Wales. Following the 6-2 loss to England, Iran registered its first win of the tournament. The Iran team can secure a Round of 16 appearance with a win over USA in the 3rd game of the pool match.

2 Likes

Qatar have been eliminated from this year’s World Cup after losing 1-3 to Senegal overnight. The 1-1 draw between Netherlands and Ecuador means Qatar become the second host nation in World Cup history to bow out in the first round, after South Africa in 2010.

4 Likes

Was the 0-0 draw between England and USA a surprise to anyone? It was to me, I was thinking England would have won that quite comfortably.

Maybe the standard of football in the MLS is better than I thought.

1 Like

Australia had their first victory in this year’s World Cup, defeating Tunisia 1-0, thanks to the first half strike by Mitch Duke.

5 Likes

Good win by the Secceroos…A little bit of luck with their goal, but you need that sometimes.

It now all comes down to the game against Denmark… I suspect a draw won’t be enough given goal difference is still -2. Time will tell

1 Like

You beauty. What a win.

I also think a win is needed to Thursday morning against Denmark. A draw may not be enough.

2 Likes

Excellent win for the mighty Socceroos. After suffering a horrific 4-1 loss to France a few days ago, our Socceroos fought back, beating Tunisia 1-0 at Al Janoub Stadium. This was also Socceroo’s First FIFA World Cup win since 2010 (against Serbia) - dating back to 23 June 2010.
Given that their Goal Difference is -2, the Socceroos desperatley need to win over Denmark, pending on other results of the Group D tournament. Do you think that Socceroos have a chance to win over Denmark on THursday morning?

2 Likes

Not really. But you never know!

2 Likes

So with Australia’s 1-0 win last night, and France beating Denmark 2-1, a draw against Denmark would be enough for Australia to progress to the Round of 16 (assuming France wins against Tunisia).

1 Like

Always think of the iconic “Shabalala - Fofana Fofana” goal whenever I hear about 2010:

I don’t think it was entirely on the ability of the USA in this match, I think England just played really bad.

1 Like