Football⚽️

i’m looking at Arsenal v Everton at the emirates, Fulham FC vs Chelsea at Craven Cottage or Chelsea vs West Ham United at Stamford Bridge.

My team is playing but i don’t have time to make the hike to Birmingham to see them

edit: these are picks across 2 weekends, hence why Chelsea is on the list twice

2 Likes

Here’s a quote from JJ:

Football Australia chief executive and proud Queenslander James Johnson was delighted about the Socceroos returning to Suncorp Stadium.

“On a personal level I’m very happy to have the Socceroos back (in Brisbane) – this is also where I’m from,” Johnson said.

“Playing in a rectangular stadium, that’s specific to football really makes a difference in terms of atmosphere.”

yet continues to schedule games at Accor Stadium. And Suncorp is not specific to football - like AAMI, Commbank, even Allianz, they are Rugby stadiums first.

True, but having been to rectangle pitched games at oval stadiums (I’ve been state of origin rugby league and a few rugby matches at marvel stadium as well as Morocco vs Chilie men and USA vs Norway in the woman’s for Sydney 2000 at the MCG) I’d take Suncorp any day of the week. Your closer to the action and it feels more immersive than having this portion of field than the playing surface.

In other news fullam v Chelsea at craven cottage fits my schedule and I have a local supplier here who can sort me with tickets

1 Like

Oh no don’t get me wrong those rectangular stadiums are amazing compared to oval stadiums, but it is completely false to say that they are ‘football specific’, unless you are talking about the future Tarniet Stadium, or Nashville’s Geodis Park.

1 Like

well it turns out they could not get me a ticket and rather than faf about i paid quite a bit and got a hospitality package for Chelsea v West ham at Stamford Bridge

2 Likes

Very very jealous :drooling_face: - will be a cracking game!

1 Like
3 Likes

News Corp reports Football Australia has shown interest in hosting the next Asian Cup, but only if the tournament is shifted to February 2024. The tournament was to be staged in China in June-July next year, but the Chinese Football Association pulled out of hosting the event due to the ongoing ramifications of Covid-19.

Australia last hosted Asian Cup in 2015 which the home side won.

Sam Kerr will be on the global edition cover of FIFA 23 video game.

1 Like

Will be good but it’ll have to be in 2024 due to the WWC. South Korea or Indonesia will likely get it.

Qatar and Australia are involved in the bidding but they’re hosting the men’s and women’s World Cups

3 Likes

1 Like

Our Women’s World Cup should be in November/December with a final at the MCG

The format for the Asian qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup in North America was revealed yesterday. It will also serve as part of the qualifiers for the 2027 Asian Cup.

1 Like

…why?

The number of teams in the WC has expanded, so more teams qualify from Asia - makes sense to change the qualification tournament to suit

2 Likes

Crazy amount of teams for the USA/Canada/Mex WC. And the competition format is a little wonky because of the number of teams.

3 Likes

It was announced today that the Matildas will play Sweden at Melbourne’s AAMI Park on November 12 with 2.45pm AEST kickoff.

1 Like

so i thought i got screwed by the PL moving the kick off for the Chelsea v West Ham game from Sunday to Sat (kick off is now 40 mins before i land).

fortunately the company i brought the ticket from (Club Sports and Events, an authorized Chelsea reseller) has offered to source me a ticket for the Fullam v Chelsea game at Craven Cottage in the away end instead at no charge

2 Likes

Lots of upset Hammers and Blues fans online at the short notice change - could have been foreseen that Chelsea would be playing in Europe :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

1 Like

1 Like

One notable proposal, is to scrap FA Cup replays for the third and fourth rounds, something that is seen as inevitable given the scaling back of replays over the past few seasons.

The plan would see the clubs involved in European football field their U21 sides in the (League) Cup instead, or not take part in the competition at all.

While a decision on the proposals is unlikely to be made this week, if they go through it is expected that that the changes will be implemented ahead of the 2024/25 season.

1 Like