Flash

US CNN is a better product

1 Like

Disagree - itā€™s become very stagnant and predictable (both in terms of being very politically heavy and how the channel covers stories).

Disagree, I donā€™t want to watch World Sport ever 30 minutes.

So I take it no one is using this service?

1 Like

As much as I want to give it a proper try, they are yet to make an Android TV app. All my TVā€™s use Android TV.

I already have a makeshift global news service which will probably end up being better than Flash anyway.

7 Likes

Iā€™m using it - frankly thereā€™s not that much to say, its a news streaming service

Shame you dont have MSNBC - Iā€™d consider paying you rather then for Flash :wink:

2 Likes

Same, Iā€™ve been able to switch between stations easily & it doesnā€™t seem to have any major issues - canā€™t really complain

1 Like

what is this?

Tivimate player with a custom playlist on Android TV. If anyone wants the playlist hmu

7 Likes

So, itā€™s been some 3 months since Flash launched, and Iā€™d have to say itā€™s been exceptionally underwhelming.

Letā€™s face it, 24/7 news is a bit of a niche market on itā€™s own, and at a price point of $8 isnā€™t going to attract a lot of casual viewers.

By far the best way Flash could increase itā€™s subscriber base is to be as an add-on or bundle to existing products with mass appeal.

For example, you could bundle it with Kayo and/or Binge, either complimentary or for a smaller monthly fee.

It would also be an ideal product to market alongside newspapers, with the common ownership between the News Corp papers and Flash, you could either offer Flash as an add-on at a lower monthly fee, and/or bundles combining newspaper access and Flash all-in-one.

Also, 3 months in and still no Android TV. Thatā€™s pretty poor for a product that is designed specifically for OTT TV not to support what is one of (if not the) most common platforms.

@WAtvVideos your makeshift news service looks absolutely sensational- looks so much better than Flash does at the moment already. The lack of EPG style/channel surfing functionality (certainly in the mobile version) is another thing that Flash really needs to add to be a successful product.

5 Likes
3 Likes

As a foxtel subscriber i got the email for free flash so i went ahead, redeemed the code and set up my account. I was using the iOS app but to be honest, flash is well, not that flash.

before we continue, i should mention iā€™m prime target for flash. Iā€™m a news junkie - i fall asleep with BBC world service playing, and i listen to the podcasts of AM, the world today and PM. I spent saturday night watching the results from the SA election, despite me living in Qld and only been to SA for 2 weeks in my 40+ years of life.

Iā€™m coming from the perspective of a customer paying $8 a month and if i did iā€™d be disappointed.

there is a lack of news from NZ for example - iā€™m not suggesting a 24 channel, (i donā€™t think a new Zealand 24 hour news channel exists) but as its a streaming service it should not be hard to put up single bulletins into an on demand channel (like say spike on fetch tv)

i feel like $5 is a good price point

3 Likes

NZ would be a hard one - they rely more heavily on overseas affiliates (including Australian affilates) than most international news broadcasters so might get tripped up on rights cross-over more than you might expect.

1 Like

As a Foxtel customer, they now include Flash as part of our subscription for free so I have checked it out being curious to see what it is like especially the quality of stream and I have to say, its pretty disappointing.

Of particular note, CNN is only SD which falls into line with Foxtel Satellite offering however for a ā€˜premiumā€™ news service that Flash is offering, surely that can grab a 1080p stream.
Also Fox Sports news is only 720p??? Kayo has a nice 1080p stream so its mind boggling the ideology.

The streams are mostly upscaled with very few native 1080p streams from the various news channels:

Fox Sports News - 720p (wtf??)
CNN: SD 576p (looks blurry as given the poor resolution)
CNBC: upscaled 1080p
BBC: 1080p
Sky News AU: 1080p
Sky News AU Extra - upscaled 1080p
Sky News UK: 1080p
Fox News Channel: 720p
Aljazeera - SD 576p
Sky News Weather - Upscaled 1080p (looks particularly bad!)
Bloomberg - Upscaled 1080p
France24 - 1080p
NHK World Japan - SD 576p

Stream bitrate averages:
1080p: 5.50 Mbps
720p: 4.5Mbps
576p: SD: 2.5Mbps

3 Likes

The biggest problem I have with Flash is the lack of an AndroidTV app. Yes, I can go through and find the pages on a computer or a phone and cast but if Kayo has an easy to use app, Binge has an easy to use app, why canā€™t Flash?

1 Like

Considering the success of Kayo and Binge, Flash seems to be poorly thought out and executed. Canā€™t see it lasting very long, but if itā€™s cheap to run using existing IP theyā€™ve developed through Streamotion then it could be viable.

Discovery really should try and do something with Newshub as a channel.

1 Like

I did the same, managed to find a MSNBC feed but it seems to change every few weeks so I have to go search again on google

Very hard to find a legit MSNBC stream. I also lost domestic BBC News :frowning:

1 Like

Has anyone heard when there will be an app for LG TVs? Itā€™s impossible to AirPlay without Apple TV and would be so much easier to access on TV.