Five AA Adelaide

The sports show hasn’t been on but I think it will be coming back from Monday. The Breakfast show do a brunch show which is available for a podcast. They might use that for half an hour during the night. It is just Will and Penbo and the two producers talking about the show and other stuff they couldn’t fit in

1 Like

@Redline, thanks for that.

Interesting it’s been off so late into the year, perhaps AFL season related?

Breakfast brunch show sounds like an interesting listen, is currently podcast content?

1 Like

Adelaide has been very fortunate (and spoilt) still having a completely local commercial AM talkback station.

I hope it continues.

1 Like

I heard Tom Rehn say the sports show will be back but they had to sought a few things out. I wondered if they were waiting for the overnight change.

Yeah the bunch is available for download. It is a good listen.

1 Like

So it seems like they have replays for a couple of hours and then switch to what they are calling ‘smooth music’. Maybe they don’t have enough content to make it through the night but switching to music overnight is a big change in programming.

5 Likes

Is it just a simulcast of Smooth Digital?

Also, could we see Smooth 1395 in the future? It seems unlikely, but it would be cheaper.

Wow. That’d be HUGE if they drop a successful commercial AM format for smooth (which let’s face it, Cruise1323 will just switch overnight to take on any potential smooth listeners).

1 Like

I don’t know, I am not familiar with Smooth. They just played a promo that said you are listening to ‘smooth music’ after a few repeats of things during the day.

Obviously it was during the night about 2am so I didn’t hear much but they had ‘hopelessly devoted to you’ from Greese playing to give you an idea of the style.

I know not everyone agrees but I really think they would be better keeping the TalkBack format overnight and just taking something from interstate.

1 Like

Yep, it would be crazy - and i’m not advocating the move at all, nor do I think it would really be successful - but in a cost saving media landscape, getting already existing voice track talent to do just a few more breaks an hour would require much less expenses than a talk format. Plus, it has been done before (ie 3AK in the 80s)

1 Like

Yeah, i’d probably have to agree with that. It fits in so much better than music/replays. The style maybe completely off, but at least it’s live talkback.

the last time an Adelaide radio station ditched talk for music (5DN to Radio 102.3) it did not go well.

1 Like

Oh yeah, all these changes to ratings winners over the years have failed miserably, but that’s never stopped another station making stupid changes. Also, some big radio operators have proved that they often don’t learn from a competitors mistakes.

2 Likes

Plus when you’ve got no commercial AM talkback competitor it should be a no brainer to keep it live and local 24/7.

1 Like

Now that’s an understatement!

The full circle of it all is that Jeremy Cordeaux is at AA now and was a major shareholder (or entire owner?) of DN and AD back in the day.

And AA writes great revenue for Nova. Huge number of exclusive clients.

2 Likes

Sometime this week they are going to have Jeremys producer Angie McBride host talkback for an hour, she’s filled in before over summer and has done well

1 Like

Lucy Lokan who is the breakfast producer is now reading the news on Sundays. The weekend just gone was her first go. I don’t think they have too many newsreaders left. I don’t think they ever replaced Marcus Wilson or Anne Stone and now David Bruce who filled in as a newsreader as well as weekend nights has also been moved on.

1 Like

The last two nights appear to have just been replays of shows during the day so no music. The two nights where they had ‘smooth music’ were Saturday and Sunday where perhaps they didn’t have the content to replay.

Out of interest how long would it take one person to load up six hours of pre recorded shows / interviews and adds?

1 Like

So it appears things are settling down kind of.

Tom Rehn is back doing his sports show from 5.30am to 6am while at night the live radio goes through until 1am. Angie McBride does it from 12am-1am Mon to Thurs and Andrew Reimer and Paul Richards have extended their shows by an hour on the other days.

Overnight during the week is a replay of various shows from the day while on weekends they play a mixture of pre-recorded shows and what they call ‘Smooth Music’

FiveAA has adopted a new look website in line with Nova, Smooth and Star Gosford:

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/

2 Likes

Jeremy Cordeaux seems to be still going strong. I remember him being a TEN-10 regular host in the 1970s, fronting informercials, children’s programs, Variety Italian Style, and the annual Lovely Motherhood Quest. I also remember him on 2GB in the 70s and 90s. John Laws used to refer to him as Jeremiah Corduroy.

3 Likes