Five AA Adelaide

Discuss Five AA here.

Nova Entertainment owned. Callsign 5AA. AM 1395 kHz and DAB+. Commercial, talkback format.

Long time 5AA personality, Bob Francis has died today, age: 77.

Died in his sleep.

Was at 5AA for most of the years Paul Thompson was at the helm of DMG. Retired 2013. Number one at night for most, if not all that time.

Many tweets about Bob:
https://twitter.com/search?q="Bob%20Francis"&src=tren

Jeremy Cordeaux is leaving 5AA afternoon show he has been hosting since September last year, but will move to evenings following the sad news that colleague Alan Hickey is battling cancer. Hickey will leave the program next week with Cordeaux taking over from January 23 next year.

1 Like

Seven News reporter Jade Robran will move back to Adelaide to host the afternoon show replacing Jeremy Cordeaux.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/matt-gilbertson-jade-robran-heads-home-to-make-radio-waves-with-fiveaa/news-story/5ac12b2452a74381b0201ae4b13b2487

1 Like

Has Mark Aiston been getting much work on 5AA over the holiday off season?

Fox Sports’ Tom Morris said on Sportsday on 3AW this evening that Crocmedia (which produces Sportsday) could buy 5AA from joint owners Nova Entertainment and Lachlan Murdoch’s company Illyra. If the deal goes ahead it could change the station’s relationship with 3AW and the rest of Macquarie Radio Network.

5AA skips surprisingly well into Tassie of an evening. It’s a rare catch in Sydney because of the null to protect 2LG Lithgow. In Sydney, I usually get a mix of 2LG and Newstalk ZB Oamaru.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be a bad thing. Wonder if Paul Thompson feels like coming out of retirement for boardroom knowledge?

Sure bet Jeremy Cordeaux would enjoy dealing himself back in to radio.

Can only hope Crocmedia might enjoy the thought a challenge of buying two underperforming AM stations in Brisbane (BC/BH).

Huh? Isn’t Illyra the investment company that owns NE?

Yes

1 Like

Kane Cornes is quitting FiveAA’s Sportsday SA (which he hosts with Malcolm Blight) to join the relaunch of SEN in Adelaide.

on 4440000AM or whatever it’s on

2 Likes

I guess Hutchy will just get another Crocmedia numpty to host it instead then given they provide it for 5AA. Or maybe it’ll end up on SEN1629 instead?

1 Like

Why do they bother with this show on AA? Rowey and Bicks are on 3 - 6pm with sport, the 5MMM sports drive show has been cut down by Kennedy Molloy, there’s no competition, no need for it.

2 Likes

1 Like

Cornsey will crash the sports show ratings as the lead in.

The rest is good.

1 Like

Jeremy Pudney, Nine News director, said, “This bulletin will be produced and delivered by the team here at Nine News Adelaide, and presented live by Brenton Ragless, Kate Collins, Will McDonald and other familiar voices."

1 Like

Interesting. 2GB and 2UE both dropped their half hour midday news, in the 1990s I think, as I remember John Brennan who was at 2UE saying that giving that time to the following talk program was a better utilisation of resources than an extended news bulletin.

So is this just essentially a daily half-hour advertorial for Nine? Seems odd for a news-talk station to outsource a news slot though? I guess anything’s fair game at the right price.