Five AA Adelaide

They have had cricket in the past now it’s only soccer unless they take the big bash

1 Like

SEN SA also has the BBL rights

2 Likes

This week, Matthew Pantelis is covering for bfast.

Graeme Goodings in for mornings.

Matt’s throw to Graeme included the light hearted comment that the station can’t do without a Goodings on air somewhere, well done!

Matthew Pantelis returns on Thu.

News from Mel Usher. Leith Forrest reading sport. Marcus Wilson on afternoon news.

Sports drive continues, Wayne Phillips co hosting.

One of those slip of the tongues, 9pm news bulletin, Marcus Wilson tripped over the word pitch and said piss instead. Recovered like it never happened as professionals do.

According to Radio Today, Ken Cunningham and Graham Cornes will return to FiveAA’s Saturday Sports Show tomorrow (Australia Day) from 9am. They previously hosted KG and Cornesy’s Sports Show on drive from 1995 to 2008.

That will mean FiveAA will be split from Nova and have to find a new location in Adelaide.

Nova and FiveAA are on different floors. It may be possible for them to remain and be separated.

1 Like

It would duplicate many costs that have been saved for near on the last fiften years.

1 Like

I think they share the same reception (well I think they did when I’ve collected FiveAA prizes) but that can be easily fixed

1 Like

Wonder if Andrew Bolt would be happy working for much less being aired to the smallest metro market of Adelaide? Would the AA audience be interested in his content?

1 Like
1 Like

From Radioinfo:

Pilko is back as FIVEaa unveil their 2020 lineup

NOVA Entertainment has today announced FIVEaa’s weekday on-air line up for 2020.

Tony Pilkington will return home to FIVEaa in afternoons, weekdays from 20 January, following Alan Hickey’s departure.

Read more, including their full 2020 line-up, here.

And also, this:

Adelaide media icon and FIVEaa’s Jane Reilly has announced she will retire next year.

Jane told David & Will on Friday’s FIVEaa Breakfast show, “I love you dearly but I’ve decided that coming into 2020 I am hanging up the microphone… after 44 years."

Read more here.

2 Likes

All local from the smallest of the five main metros yet it keeps powering on.

Jane leaves the door open mentioning 2020 as her ‘gap year’. I’m sure she’ll be lured back to the media in some capacity.

Alan Hickey finished up last Friday. Did he leave for health reasons or something else or did management choose not to renew?

Have enjoyed hearing Pilko fill in for Leon this year and bfast last year (with Baz, his radio partner) which was a real cracker.

Lineup looks ok for Adel save for the 3pm hour with Cornsey’s Conversations. Can see what they’re doing and why but don’t agree. Get the jump on other drive shows and begin at 3pm? Or extend afternoons or another talent for the 3 - 4 hour but do it live.

3 Likes

FiveAA is the dark horse in Australian talkback radio.

If it weren’t for NovaEnt and the FiveAA model, Australian commercial talkback radio would be stuck with Caralis or 2GB (note I said 2GB and not Nine/MML).

Here’s hoping NovaEnt one day expand their talkback radio network.

Wouldn’t it be great if NewsCorp (or pretty much anybody other than Caralis & Nine) purchased FiveAA, 2UE, 4BH and Magic and created a talk network that was LOCAL and took on Nine/MML head-to-head.

We can only dream.

2 Likes

Agree.

It could be the model they want to pursue or it could be the only model they have certainty that it’ll be a success?

I’d like to think that Paul Thompson and the founding DMG Aus decision makers thought the format has the best longevity.

1 Like

Alan said that management didn’t renew his contract. Leith Forrest is now filling in until Pilko starts

1 Like

Thanks @Brettski_1234.

Alan had that albatross of having to build the audience following the pre recorded Cornsey’s Conversations, an unenviable task for any broadcaster.

The Five AA version of the ABC Conversation hour is better off in a timeslot, I believe it crashes the audience share following Leon Byner and the midday NWS 9 news bulletin.

Mark Aiston was useful talent for Five AA, often covering gaps in their schedule. Shame he hasn’t been called up in awhile.

FiveAA’s phones have been down since about 1pm this afternoon, no calls have been able to be taken since then

1 Like

Still no phones this morning, there has been an issue with TPG. Quite ironic that Leon Byner has contacts who can help with peoples telecommunication issues but cant fix his stations issues.

1 Like

Are the phones working at Nova 919? They should swap studios if so, do something makeshift.

Interesting that they have no redundancy of providers .