FIFA World Cup 2018

2 Likes

Mine was all smooth until right before the game started. Even the PQ looked decent. Now using the World Cup app which is a pain to navigate through.

Just getting the magical Playback error on the optus app.

1 Like

this is what I would do have optus coverage on sbs that way least the people can see the games

Why exactly? Nothing wrong with their coverage.

Not happy people are taking to social media expressing their anger towards Optus Sport.

1 Like

Optus still adverting their coverage on FTA tonight but it needs an addition to the fine print “Service not guaranteed; playback errors may occur.”

7 Likes

What do they care? They already cashed in their part of the deal by screening EPL this past season. They also have the only games that really matter in terms of ratings.

1 Like

Yeah, all but the one we all watched are in the middle of the night

Heck, SBS are even doing Optus a favor by streaming their coverage through the ‘FIFA World Cup’ app considering it’s had virtually none of the same technical issues the Optus Sport services have experienced

This is A guide of the scores of the matches.

1 Like

On Sunday afternoon:

A totally empty promise.

3 Likes

Optus appears to have conceded defeat, the problem can’t be fixed it appears so they are giving away Fetch Minis to everyone who signed up for Optus Sport.

https://offer.optus.com.au/fetch-mini-redemption/

4 Likes

Michael Ebeid (SBS CEO) was interviewed on Gerard Whately’s SEN program this morning and two interesting things came out of it:

1. The reason for SBS sub-licensing the World Cup rights was mostly due to the government funding cuts (something which the AFR touched upon in an article today)
  2. He said that if Optus continues to have issues in the next 24 - 48 hours, SBS will have talks with them about the possibility of SBS airing some of the Optus exclusive games
2 Likes

Thanks Coalition!

Although to be fair, I’m sure the lure of one EPL game a week is a big factor too. From what I’ve read elsewhere, they really wanted to do a deal with Fox Sports when they still had the rights.

Optus’ problems could work out quite well financially for SBS then…

2 Likes

Yeah, Ebeid said that was another reason for the deal in that it gives SBS year-round football content instead of it mostly being limited to the World Cup

2 Likes

As an EPL fan, I invested in a Fetch TV box. No issues other than one game last night between Serbia and Costa Rica. Recorded Brazil v Switzerland (exclusive to Optus) early this morning with no problems.

How do you get Fetch Box?

Just go to an Optus store to get a deal which includes Fetch TV. Plug it in and watch the coverage 24/7

1 Like

According to Malcolm Turnbull (hilarious :joy:) it’ll be good by tonight.

1 Like

Australia’s reaction:

7 Likes