FIFA World Cup 2018

Optus has published two types of full page ads in today’s newspapers apologising for its stuff up of World Cup streaming.

Optus shouldn’t be taking all the blame. Surely the ‘technically issues’ are not 100% attributed to Optus?

2 Likes

This is PR. Regardless of whether it is all their fault or not, they are the front facing organisation and that is who consumers are blaming.

6 Likes

SBS didn’t appear to have any issues with their coverage, it’s really just putting the same product out there?

I don’t think SBS are streaming in HD. If Optus were streaming in SD I’m sure they wouldn’t have any issues.

Ah sorry, I didn’t realize you meant SBS’s streaming, I was thinking if SBS didn’t any issues with satellite feed from Russia for their Free to air broadcast, then the fault obviously lies in the Optus infrastructure.

SBS are streaming in 1080p HD, genuinely the best streams I’ve ever seen from a broadcaster.

4 Likes

Where are you watching? It’s not HD on the SBS app on Apple TV.

Optus App on the other hand is clearly 720pand 50 fps.

A mistake IMO. They should have proven themselves in the finals that they were capable of exclusive streaming of a major event.

Fair enough it’s perfect HD on their website.

But you see who I mean right, it’s gonna look like they’re passing the buck if they blame someone else.

1 Like

The risk to that is if technical issues occur during one or more of their exclusive matches, it would be a bigger PR and reputational disaster for them considering the magnitude of the event. As such, they probably thought such a risk isn’t worth taking

1 Like

KVF Faroe Islands is live streaming the current France v Argentina game live on its website with no geo blocking. The quality isn’t that great.

http://kvf.fo/webservice/player/sjonvarp

3 Likes

England have ended their penalty curse, beating Colombia 4-3 in a penalty shootout after scores were tied 1-1 at the end of extra time.
The quarter final schedule:
Friday July 6
• Uruguay v France, 11pm*, Live (kick-off 12am*)

Saturday July 7
• Brazil v Belgium, 3am*, Live (kick-off 4am*)
• Sweden v England, 11pm*, Live (kick-off 12am*)

Sunday July 8
• Russia v Croatia, 3am*, Live (kick-off 4am*)

*Times are AEST, all matches subject to Extra Time and Penalties

2 Likes

England’s win over Colombia in penalties was the most-watched event on British television since 2012.

1 Like

France has stormed into the semi final following a 2-0 win over Uruguay. Meanwhile, Brazil has been knocked out following a 1-2 loss to Belgium. Two South American nations have been eliminated from the World Cup!
This will mean there will be 6 European nations that will compete in the race for the World Cup Trophy.

3 Likes

England has reached the World Cup semi finals for the first time since 1990 after beating Sweden last night, while Russia’s dream run at home is over, losing to Croatia in penalties after scores were tied 2-2 at the end of extra time.

Semi final schedule:
Wednesday July 11: France v Belgium (3am AEST, kick off 4am)
Thursday July 12: England v Croatia (3am AEST, kick off 4am)

Looks like the BBC have suffered an ‘Optus style’ crash.

1 Like

England’s quarter final win over Sweden peaked at nearly 20 million viewers on the BBC.

2 Likes

Wow. France has gone to the Fifa World Cup final following a 1-0 win over Belgium. Belgium will play the loser of Match 62 (Croatia/England) in the playoffs.