FIFA World Cup 2018

That was to be expected. I think France will win the world cup and they are the heavy favourites in the betting to do so.

Croatia will play France in the 2018 World Cup final on Sunday, after beating England 2-1 in extra time. England scored an early goal in the fifth minute, before Croatia equalised early in the second half. England will play Belgium in the 3rd place playoff this Saturday.

2 Likes

The Croatia v England Semi Final match pulled a crowd of 78000 people at Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow. This is the 6th time that we have seen a crowd of 78k during the FIFA World Cup. I hope that the Final between Croatia and France will draw a much higher crowd on Sunday.

Doubtful as 78k is the capacity crowd

Another streaming service fail.

Yep, I suffered through that today. The service was already a bit flaky during the first half. I could log in and view the match just fine, but the naming for all the streams was all over the shop. I didn’t care, though, I just wanted to watch the match.

Sadly, I closed the app during half time, and then couldn’t access it for the beginning of the second half.

Thankfully I have access to another stream via the Fox Sports app. I don’t know what I would’ve done otherwise. Go to a bar? Interact with other people? Eeek.

1 Like
1 Like

Imagine the figures for the Cup Final if England actually made it.

2 Likes

FIFA are going to have a hard time getting a decision in their favour if they’re suing BeOutQ in Saudi Arabia.

I believe the Saudi Arabian regime were aware of the piracy, and allowed it to continue unabated due to BeIN Sports being owned by the Qatar government. The Saudis hate Qatar with a passion, so they tacitly encouraged the use of this pirate service by Saudi citizens because it would deprive BeIN of subscription revenue.

2 Likes

But how did BeOutQ get a raw clean feed from FIFA? wouldn’t those high quality feeds be encrypted or has there been some cracking going on?

The allegation is BeOutQ decrypted BeIN’s signal and send the broadcast to its own subscribers via the set-top boxes.

1 Like

Nah, that’s not what happened. BeOutQ pirated feeds from BeIN and other broadcasters around the world (Telemundo is one), mainly consisting of programming officially available exclusively on BeIN.

This includes the F1 and other soccer leagues. They never received a clean feed.

The thing is, BeOutQ is clearly run by a team of professionals. They have manufactured a very large range of receiving equipment branded under the BeOutQ brand:

They defeated a key piracy prevention mechanism which allows the broadcaster to identify the receiving unit, through anti-piracy watermarking - an example of which can be seen here:

They also blocked scrolling messages by FIFA which were broadcast over BeIN using their own ticker:

2 Likes

Some bloke used Facebook to stream a boxing match last February. The case was dropped.

Similar situation in Saudi Arabia

This weekend’s schedule:
Saturday July 14 – FIFA World Cup Playoff for Third Place
• 11pm AEST, Belgium v England, LIVE (kick-off 12am AEST Sunday), SBS and SBS On Demand

Sunday July 15 – FIFA World Cup Final
• 7am, Belgium v England, REPLAY (kick-off 8am), SBS and The World Game online
• 5.30pm, FIFA World Cup Today, LIVE from Red Square, SBS and SBS On Demand
• 11pm AEST, France v Croatia, LIVE (kick-off 1am AEST Monday), SBS and SBS On Demand

Monday July 16 – FIFA World Cup Final
• 7am, France v Croatia, REPLAY (kick-off 9am), SBS and The World Game online
• 5.30pm, FIFA World Cup Today, LIVE from Red Square, SBS and SBS On Demand

1 Like

It was dropped after the bloke posted a public apology on Facebook after he streamed the boxing match by filming his TV, which ALSO included the audio of him speaking to a rep from Foxtel on the phone, playing dumb (“hurr durr wots copyright i paid for this” etc.) and generally acting like a gigantic narcissistic cocksure cunt wanting e-fame. They obviously had identified him from the watermarking tech and rang the contact number on file to tell him to stop.

3 Likes

Much as I deplore the whole piracy thing, and the blockade as well, I do admire their brazenness. Pirating the BeIN feed, setting up a new brand that pokes fun at that and the embargo, etc.

Clearly this has either got tacit government approval, or many layers of government are actively looking the other way.

4 Likes

New arrived on ten daily this morning about pirate broadcasters streaming the World Cup.

So if they were clean feeds, I’d say they would be decrypting the feeds (tho the feeds are usually un enc).

Looks like they are just ripping the dirty feed and doing a Bruce Gordon style coverup…

Fans have slammed FIFA’s decision to play the 2022 World Cup towards the end of the year. FIFA president Gianni Infantino has confirmed Qatar 2022 will kick off on November 21, with the final being played on December 18. The dates mean major European leagues will have to take breaks of at least one month.

The logo for the next tournament was also revealed overnight:

4 Likes