FIFA World Cup 2018

Well said. I’ve heard her interviewed a couple of times during the World Cup by Fitzy and Wippa and her knowledge about the soccer and various countries around the world is phenomenal.

She said today that she is fluent in Croatian, Italian and is learning French and she does her best to pronounce names as they would be pronounced in the country they are from.

8 Likes

Was there a host for Viceland’s coverage of World Cup last night?

Don’t think so - based on the periods I tuned in, it seemed to be just the world feed

No they took the world feed.

Half-time coverage was the world feed commentator talking over some highlights and statistics.

1 Like

And why is that?

Peoples names are one thing. However she was pronouncing the last venue Australia played as “Samarahhhhhh Ahhh-rennnnn-ahhhhh”.

That is not how its pronounced in either English or Russian. Its some put on accent. And before you say well thats just how she pronounces words, have a listen to her brother Ned Zelic talk.

first world problems here…

1 Like

If only we had you hosting then…
How should it be pronounced then Dom?

For me, this whole incident boils down to two things:

1 - Some people have too much time on their hands and need to get a life.
2 - They are not true football fans - Anyone who has watched SBS coverage of football over the years will know that Les made an effort to ensure that the proper pronunciation of teams and players came across. Lucy and Foz (as much as he is a pain with his Barca obsession) are trying to keep that standard up. A true football fan will be right in tune with what SBS are doing. Anyone complaining is not.

8 Likes

Is she really doing that with every name? Next she’ll be calling Germany Deutschland?

Not every name.

Not sure how this is relevant when we are talking about pronunciation.

Lucy Zelic can have difficulty pronouncing Russian cities like Ye-ka-ter-ing-boourg (Yekaterinburg) and Ka-Ling-ing-Graad (Kaliningrad). I pronounce Kaliningrad as (Ka-Lin-in-Grad)

Herald Sun managed to publish a 2.30am AEST special edition reporting on Australia’s 2-0 loss to Peru and eliminated from the World Cup.

4 Likes

This will be good news for soccer fans who are watching it on SBS.

4 Likes

I’ve been watching 50/50 Optus and SBS over the last few weeks.

It means more programming changes for both main channel and SBS Viceland over the next two weeks, compounded by the coverage of Tour de France.

3 Likes

Glad I’m not an Optus shareholder because if I was, I would be absolutely livid at how they paid $8 million for 7 exclusive matches^

^ Yes, the deal has given them matches from various FIFA competitions over the past few years and there’s still the Women’s World Cup next year which they’ll probably show some exclusive games from. However, lets be honest - Optus would have kept the rights to their (previously) six exclusive knockout stage games if were confident that their technical issues were fully resolved…

I’ve been watching all Optus because they have the exclusive rights to streaming of matches live and on demand (SBS does not have live streaming on its World Cup coverage via SBS On Demand and Freeview FV)

Optus is ultimately majority owned by the Singapore government. They have deep pockets.

2 Likes

SBS have livestreaming of all games on their website (with excellent quality).

5 Likes