Federal Politics

Yes that’s true. If the yes vote gets up and Abbott and the others on the right of the Libs continue to stall, we’d be entering some crazy territory whereby Bernardi’s conservatives pick up seats while centrists continue to defect to Labor. Yummy.

2 Likes

Today has been perfect.

Yah OK. :roll_eyes: The passive aggressive trolling doesn’t work with me mate.

I clearly said that many of the high profile instances reported on were subsequently found out to be false. I gave you multiple examples, which I sourced in five seconds of gathering, and which I clearly remember being quite prominently used last year as “evidence” of how Trump had increased racial hate. :roll_eyes:

Further, I didn’t “try to pretend” there aren’t real victims, because I also clearly said that there were many examples of violence from the far-left too, especially the Antifa gatherings in Washington…or are “real victims” only people of left-wing leaning? :roll_eyes:

So there’s people complaining about $120m for a plebiscite but absolutely no issue with the millions it’s going to cost on all the by-elections if all the members are kicked out? Interesting.

1 Like

Perhaps these frauds who blatantly made false claims they were eligible to stand without ensuring they were eligible should be made to not only pay back the parliamentary salaries they’ve been paid, but also prosecuted for defrauding the Commonwealth so fines can be levied & hopefully offset some of the costs they have caused & will cause us all.

What if it was a genuine mistake and they didn’t actually know? There’s clearly a systemic failure, we need to fix that issue so it doesn’t happen again. If there’s been this many, there’s likely to be more. It’s going to be very, very expensive if that’s the case.

1 Like

Yes I think there needs to be intent; these people have made false declarations. The key question is did they do the required due diligence before signing a form claiming they were certain?
Of course each case needs to be looked at before deciding to prosecute but anyone who stood/stands for parliament and was born overseas or had a parent who was, should’ve known they need to confirm they don’t have dual citizenship.

As I said in a post here earlier today, the parliament needs a full audit, accept the loss of a however many MPs, and put up a constitutional amendment to fix this problem (whatever a reasonable fix would be, but something that isn’t so dependent on the laws of other countries), which we should vote on at the next election.

1 Like

I am surprised at just how many there are and how many have renounced their citizenships.

Anyone can cherrypick scenarios and examples to suit their ideological leanings, but that doesn’t really mean anything. There will always be bad apples - left and right - so saying you found a few examples of left wingers misleading other left wingers will be easy. That’s not the argument.

The problem is that the big picture demonstrates higher rates of racially motivated violence since the election of Trump. That isn’t exactly surprising; it was evident by the way minorities were treated at Trump rallies. This sort of behaviour is being stoked by the administration at worst, or merely being turned a blind eye from at best. Neither of which is satisfactory.

We’re talking about minority violence. Antifascistische isn’t going to target minorities. That being said, they are considered a terror group, in the same vein as those fascist groups they oppose. But both Antifa and literal Nazi cells are small. Neither have the broad support to account for the rise in racial hatred in recent months - what does account of rises in racial hatred are higher levels of ‘casual racism’, perpetrated by people who aren’t part of a cell or group but who still commit acts of racial violence. That comes from somewhere, and I suspect it’s got to do with the “follow the leader effect”.

1 Like

It wasn’t a few examples - they were THE most high profile examples in the wake of Trump last year.

Stop trying to downplay the fact that many examples of “right wing hostilities towards immigrants and people of minority races” were actually found to be a load of crapola.

The way minorities were treated at Trump rallies?

Er…yeah, you’re just talking BS now.

Small? No broad support? They literally went on a rampage across the entire central Washington area.

Yeah, look, I’m not here to hear cliches about “racial violence” and “casual racism” because of “right wing politicians”. The same thing is done in the UK. It’s totally boring and stupid.

Gee, funny that in the 8 years of Obama which included multiple school shootings, race related shootings by police etc. that no one was ever “following the leader” then.

I guess crimes committed during times of left-wing leadership have nothing to do with the leader, but crimes committed during times of right-wing leadership do.

The lack of logic in your arguments exposes your bias so clearly.

Obama opposed violence.
Trump at his rallies encouraged it:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/donald-trump-rallies-violence-debate-jake-tapper-2016-3?r=US&IR=T

…Trump said of a protester: “I’d like to punch him in the face.”

Knock the crap out of him, would you? Seriously, OK just knock the hell — I promise you I will pay for the legal fees. I promise, I promise

The LNP are playing chicken; I suspect a thorough review would mean both sides would lose MPs, but as of right now we know the LNP has:

If the gov’t are serious about demanding proof, how about a proper across-the-board check for everyone?

1 Like

Highly anticipated tweet from Amber Heard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

From Barnaby Joyce’s local paper

Regarding Greens senators Larissa Waters and Scott Ludlum:

“ I think you’ve just got to do your homework and make sure you’re not a citizen of two countries when you stand for parliament.

“Now Larissa said she believed that was not the case, and I’m sure that would be the outcome for Scott Ludlum, but unfortunately, ignorance is not an excuse.

3 Likes

Also from that article:

“You’ve got to be really careful, if you start throwing stones when something was an honest oversight because you bet your life the stone will come back and hit you.

Oh, it’s hit the LNP hard alright…

2 Likes

Bob Katter has withdrawn support from the Turnbull Government as well, as of today. Apparently Turnbull acted arrogantly and dismissively of Katter during an hour long meeting last year, and left 25 minutes in.

Meanwhile Turnbull has accused Shorten of being UnAustralian… what a wanker

The LNP blaming the NZ gov’t for Joyce’s failure to renounce his NZ citizenship is just pathetic:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-accuses-bill-shorten-of-conspiring-to-steal-government-20170815-gxwcrl.html

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/julie-bishop-says-she-could-not-trust-a-new-zealand-labour-government-after-barnaby-fiasco-20170815-gxwfj9.html

Another case of shooting the messenger (NZ gov’t) instead of the actual cause of the problem (Joyce).
I mean how dare NZ say what their law is! Who do they think they are?

And now another LNP MP is in trouble:

Labor Manager of Opposition Business Tony Burke flagged on ABC radio on Tuesday morning that Ms Sudmalis may have an issue regarding her status.

“When Christopher Pyne yesterday in the Parliament started throwing accusations across the chamber, you could see sitting behind him in the camera shot the members for Gilmore [Ms Sudmalis] and the member for Chisholm [Julia Banks] and the colour draining away from their faces. I presume that the process [the vetting process Labor undertakes on candidates] that I’ve just described for the Labor Party are not processes that the Liberal Party, the National Party, the Greens or One Nation have,” he said.

NZ Labour’s statement:
http://www.labour.org.nz/statement_on_julie_bishop_s_comments

1 Like

The LNP must be in full-on panic mode.

Before we could all absorb that uncharacteristic burst of partisan impetuousness from Australia’s normally highly professional foreign minister, we were in question time and, evidently, the government’s brains trust had required backbenchers to double down by asking questions about foreign state interference in Australian political matters.

With a straight face.

As the faux gravitas came in the flurry of cartoonish Dorothy Dixers, Australians were invited to believe a cold war had erupted across the Tasman and New Zealand was now some axis of evil.

Question time was beyond excruciating as otherwise intelligent people, members of the elected government of Australia, painted ever more florid pictures of conspiracy – an offensive which achieved precisely nothing, beyond inserting a massive question mark over the government’s collective judgment and fitness for office.

On Tuesday the Turnbull government succeeded in one thing, and one thing only: hanging a lantern over its own desperation, its own lack of an organising idea, and its own terrible panic and recklessness.

Could we really be watching the Australian government completely lose the plot, right before our eyes?

As it turned out, yes, we could.

Wow.