Federal Politics

Well if New Zealand is the axis of evil, then the Government must be horrified that a citizen of that nation is currently the Deputy Prime Minister of Australia.

They are absolutely shitscared and I am loving every second. This week has been 2nd Christmas.

2 Likes

Meanwhile the Coalition for Marriage has hit a snag on day one:

3 Likes

Been stuck in meetings all day. To read all these conspiracy theories and watching the coalition in chaos is hilarious.

Totally laughable. This is great!

2 Likes

Aw, the people who solemnly expressed their horror at “fake news” from Russia influencing the US election, are now laughing at the actions of a NZ Parliamentarian.

Take one line or the other, yeah guys? Can’t be outraged one sec but laughing the next! :joy:

Aww these times must be hard for you.

Seriously though, Russia has a long history of antagonism against the West. New Zealand is our closest friend.

1 Like

I think the person who sees questions about the citizenship of Banarby Joyce as a “2nd Christmas” is the one experiencing hard times, lol.

If the High Court determines he needs to go, then he needs to go. Nothing to do with me.

Dear Australia, um, we’re sorry for existing?

Yours etc, New Zealand.

In the latest war on Australia Day…even Fairfax readers aren’t buying it:

Just imagine what the percentage for No is out there in suburbia! :joy:

Honey I live for political drama, sashay away

The Fin Review’s cartoonist isn’t holding anything back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The nuclear war analogy going to the next step, MAD (mutually assured destruction)?

If so, bring it on, then maybe the parliament will actually propose a long-term fix (a referendum to amend section 44 of the constitution).
The LNP need to stop their partisan double-standards, mud-slinging exaggerations & distractions, and their along with Labor’s & all suspect MPs (from whatever party) should produce the documentary evidence of when their foreign citizenship was confirmed as renounced.
Like the LNP & ON the Greens stuffed up having two MPs found to have had dual citizenship, but at least once the issue was found they did the honourable thing & resigned from parliament, and even Tony Abbott (born in England) released his confirmation letter from the UK gov’t; a shame the rest aren’t living up to these examples of what I think should be an obvious minimal standard.

Have said as much about Bishop before. No substance there once she’s forced to move away from mouthing platitudes. Her initiation of a diplomatic incident the other day was embarrassing.

1 Like

Well, in addition to saving the Coalition government itself, I guess it’s to put a few cases up on this subsection before the High Court for a clear determination. As has been said by others, what’s to stop North Korea today “conferring all the rights and priveleges” of a North Korea citizen on Malcolm Turnbull, thus forcing the PM of this country to resign from Parliament?

That outcome would be utterly absurd and not the intention of the drafters of that subsection…just the slight problem that the words are pretty clear on their face / unambiguous which restricts the analysis of intention…very interesting to see what the HCA determines.

and the high court would find as such. but that is not whats in question now. we have MP’s who should have reasonably suspected that they are dual citizens either by behing born in that country (like waters) or by decent (like joyce)

1 Like

That argument - put by that pathetic-excuse-for-an-Attorney-General Sen. Brandis on Lateline the other night - to try to excuse Joyce is a ridiculous stretch.

I wouldn’t be surprised if such an action by NK (or Russia or China or …) would be taken as against the spirit of the constitution - and remember in Aus courts do look at the spirit/intention of the law rather than the letter-of-the-law approach favoured in the USA - and so such an obviously ridiculous invalidation wouldn’t be upheld by the HC, but as @Tejas57 said the current cases aren’t like that.

I’ll be shocked if Joyce & Roberts aren’t found to have been inelligible when they nominated.
They were obligated to confirm before signing the nomination form, as were Waters & Ludlam, and it seems pretty clear (‘black and white’ using Joyce’s words!) all of them were clearly in the wrong.

Canavan I’m not as sure about; it’ll depend on the specifics of the details (have all relevant details been reported?).

1 Like

Apparently she is going to make a speech soon, and this is part of it.

1 Like

WTF is that weirdo doing now? What’s her fucking point?

Is she seriously pulling stunts like this.

How any sane person can vote for this raving lunatic is beyond me.

10 Likes

I’m laughing my arse off, holy shit haha

2 Likes

That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen all month. I saw it while scrolling through Facebook feed and actually said ‘what the fuck’.

2 Likes

I thought religious vilification was illegal. Can she be charged?

2 Likes