Federal Politics

Surprised how little this has been part of the commentary. Someone on ABC should bring up the map. Aston is neighboring 3 of the liberals very few remaining seats all now marginal. East of Melbourne is the new western Sydney.

Sky:

Interesting map of Melbourne seats

Dutton will be throwing Pesutto under the bus on Insiders tomorrow. All his fault I can guarantee it. Dutton will be deflecting this, likely won’t see him back in Victoria campaigning ever again. He will keep his distance at the next QLD election also.

Even at the next Federal election, Menzies and Deakin are essentially now Labor.

Hell with the way votes are going Aston is not only looking to be a Labor, but a SAFE Labor seat in one swipe :scream:

Must be because they were too woke and needs to be the more extreme far right style that Dutton has perfected over the years :roll_eyes:

I don’t know about that. Labor might be popular statewide but for some bizarre reason the state leans Liberal federally. Being from Queensland also means he gets that natural advantage especially in his electorate area.

Although to quote one of the residents who live in Dickson and was interviewed by Sky in 2018: “I don’t like Peter Dutton. He’s a rat.”

1 Like

Qld may generally lean Liberal federally but Dutton isn’t popular in Qld either.

2 Likes

Hmmm I think metro Brisbane definitely he’s a dud (even though I have no idea why Dickson keeps voting him back in year after year).

Gold Coast, Maroochydore and rural Queensland however I can see him being somewhat popular since he’s all about cost of living and jobs in coal industries up in that part of the world which is what most people seem to care about up there. Not to mention some of those places (especially on the GC and Sunshine Coast) have never voted Labor federally or in a state election.

I’ve got friends and family all over Queensland and nope, he’s not as popular as he would have you believe. In fact most people think he’s horrible. Many regional Qlders vote Liberal federally, many are rusted on, but that doesn’t mean they like Dutton. In fact in my view the Dutton factor would have a zero positive impact on Liberal votes in Qld, it’s probably a net negative effect. This is where the Libs have made a grave tactical error if they think Dutton will help their Qld vote. It won’t.
As for Dickson I won’t make too much comment but it’s one of those outer metro areas, aspirational, increasingly marginalised, increasingly Hillsongy. Families in McMansions on small blocks with huge mortgages and school fees they can’t afford. Bad transport links. In short all the elements there for angry voters. Say no more.

2 Likes

So according to Sky the “woke Libs lost the by-election”. They’re blaming the gender of the candidate and that why preselected a woman as the reason for their loss. And of course they weren’t right wing enough.

2 Likes

I really appreciate your insights as a local @Brianc68.

Queensland’s certainly a very interesting place politically, especially the South East corner. The north and East of Brisbane seems to be Liberal friendly (Longman, Bowman, Petrie, Bonner, Dickson), the centre has turned Green (Ryan, Griffith, Brisbane) whilst the South, Ipswich and Logan is rusted on Labor areas (Rankin, Lilley, Blair, Moreton, Oxley).

The Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are almost rusted on Liberal/National voters and seems like they’ve never really been progressive federally. I shall not talk more about the rural areas. I think we all know what it’s like.

Back to Victoria, for Labor and Albo to win Aston (a Liberal stronghold no less) in a by-election is an absolutely extraordinary feat. Aston electors are very clever to see that behind that shiny potato head of Dutton’s there is very little substance behind the Liberals’ attacks and ‘Nos to everything’.

1 Like

There’s also this

1 Like

It’s another example of where Queenslanders can tend to vote differently at different levels of government. Brisbane has had Liberal Lord Mayors since about 2004. Many people who vote Liberal for Brisbane City Council vote Labor at State elections. Even I have done it! It’s a similar phenomenon to regional Queensland voting Labor at State level and Liberal at Federal level. People vote for their best interests and the best candidates, sometimes regardless of parties. I’m generally a Labor voter Federally and at State level but have voted Liberal at council level (Campbell Newman and Sallyanne Atkinson) because the Liberals tend to “get things done” in Brisbane itself. Interestingly when Joh had a stranglehold of the State government in the 70s and into the early 80s, Brisbane City Council had one of it’s longest runs of Labor Lord Mayors. For context for people interstate who may not be aware, Brisbane City Council is quite a big deal as it’s by far the most populous city LGA in the country with over a million people under the one council and a budget bigger than Tasmania’s.

That overgrown beetroot in an akubra defending Dutton on Sunrise as ‘very successful in the state of Queensland’ and how Labor winning is like waving to the crowd on the first lap of the 1500m sprint. Then makes this whole conversation about the voice which he has already opposed very openly.

And to think this guy was once our deputy PM.

Adrian Schrinner was touted as a future premier for QLD wasn’t he?

Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn’t be the first time a Liberal Lord Mayor of Brisbane jumped to State politics and became premier - Campbell Newman did it. Personally I would rate Schrinner above Newman.

Probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise but the entire Coalition is now opposing the voice to parliament.

Potentially we could be seeing the likes of Bridget Archer (who IIRC supports the voice) and some other moderates defect to the crossbench Andrew Gee style.

I mean, this is just a moronic move overall from the Coalition. Oppose as much as they want but what recommendations/better solutions do they have to recognise our First Nations people more than just a ‘recognition in the constitution by word’? Or do they just want to keep the historical atrocities they have done to the First Nations people under the doona and pretend that no one remembers?

Clearly they haven’t learnt from the recent bloodbaths at elections/by-elections that Australians want to socially progressive nation.

EDIT: Bridget Archer has confirmed she will support the voice against the party position.

1 Like

i’d be very surprised if Bridget Archer gets to the end of this term inside the liberal party. The liberal platform is a minefield of reasons to become a Teal. A loss to the libs, she is what the new generation should look like.

Wasn’t the general consensus on the Teal candidates that they would’ve all been prime small-l liberal candidates with high education, good wealth, strong profiles and progressive social views combined with conservative economic ideologies?

Maybe we need the Teals to become the new (and proper) liberal party whilst the coalition lurch further towards (or going back to) becoming the new UAP or One Nation.

2 Likes

To expand on what I touched on here (in a more appropriate topic), as far as the Housing Australia Fund goes I do find that while it is an OK start, it’s still quite underwhelming overall in my view.

I’d love to see something like the Million Programme that Sweden rolled out in the '60s introduced here, especially being targeted to a mix of income levels.

I think it’s a case of getting it started. No doubt the Albanese government is going to work slowly to repair this problem and address it in a reasonable manner that doesn’t blow the budget. Though I question whether that’s the case when they’ve spent a what seems like an infinite amount of money on nuclear submarines just to counter the rise of China which is a not something that I support though that’s another issue.

The Coalition have had nine years to deal with the housing crisis yet they’ve done the square root of f all. All they did was supposedly ‘stand up for jobs and workers’ and appeal to the coal loving bogans.

1 Like