Federal Politics

A good appointment. Was the last Australian PM to serve more than one consecutive term

Don’t think so. The last one would surely be John Howard. Everyone since then has either served a half-baked term or that plus one term.

1 Like

It can depend on how you view terms. For example Julia Gillard became P.M unopposed and was re-elected to the post in 2010, thereby elected to another term in office.

Same applied to Malcolm Turnbull and Scott Morrison.

John Howard was elected to consecutive terms at elections.

2 Likes

Huh?? Rudd was elected and served an incomplete term and was ousted by Gillard, then she was (re-)elected and served an incomplete term before being ousted by Rudd.

The last PM to serve a full term election-to-election was ScoMo 2019-22. The last one to serve more than one full consecutive term was Howard, serving four terms 1996-2007.

2 Likes

Just on this. One wonders if Rudd wasn’t rolled by Gillard back in 2010 (or if Gillard wasn’t rolled by Rudd in 2013) would we have been spared the disastrous 9 years of Coalition rule by the likes of Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison?

I think Rudd would’ve scraped back with a majority instead of the hung parliament in 2010 and at worst Gillard would’ve been able to keep her hung parliament in 2013 if Rudd didn’t oust her.

2 Likes

I have always believed Rudd would have scraped in in 2010 had Gillard not ousted him. I firmly believe he would have retained a majority.

1 Like

Agreed. The decision was so out of touch with the public goodwill towards Rudd, even at that stage.

1 Like

Rudd would’ve retained between 77 and 81 seats in the House in 2010 and not would’ve relied on the Greens or independents in a minority government.

It really irks me to this day that neither Labor nor Gillard will admit an error, or acknowledge the likelihood it cost them majority government. Regardless of the pros and cons of Rudd it was an astounding blunder.

1 Like

Morgan Poll showing support for YES 53 to 30 NO

53% of Australians would vote “Yes” to establish an ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice to Parliament’

A slim majority of 53% of Australians would vote ‘Yes’ to establish an ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice to Parliament’, compared to 30% who would vote ‘No’ and a further 17% are undecided.

There are large differences based on voting intention in regards to ‘The Voice’ with 76% of ALP supporters and 89% of Greens supporters indicating they would vote ‘Yes’ to establish the ‘Voice to Parliament’. Only 9% of ALP supporters and just 2% of Greens supporters would vote ‘No’.

In contrast, nearly two-thirds of L-NP supporters, 64%, would vote ‘No’ to establishing a ‘Voice to Parliament’ compared to only 15% who would vote ‘Yes’. Over a fifth of L-NP supporters, 21%, are undecided on which way they would vote.

Support for a ‘Voice to Parliament’ by State:

• New South Wales: Yes (52%) cf. No (29%) cf. Undecided (19%);
  • Victoria: Yes (55%) cf. No (28%) cf. Undecided (17%);
  • Queensland: Yes (44%) cf. No (38%) cf. Undecided (18%);
  • Western Australia: Yes (63%) cf. No (26%) cf. Undecided (11%);
  • South Australia: Yes (54%) cf. No (33%) cf. Undecided (13%);
  • Tasmania: Yes (68%) cf. No (24%) cf. Undecided (8%).
1 Like

Latest Morgan poll

1 Like

That was interesting until I read the sample size was less than 1,500 people. With a poll that small I would take it with a grain of salt. Mind you it is the first poll I’ve seen that specifically asks for voting intention.

Caroline Kennedy is the US ambassador to Australia

Yes because Labor is about action in decision whilst the Coalition is all talk, no action.

Since the election Labor has:

:white_check_mark: Wage rise to low income earners
:white_check_mark: Planning a way to close the gap through the Voice to Parliament (it’s pretty symbolic, whether one agrees with it or not)
:white_check_mark: Legislated net zero by 2050
:white_check_mark: Working with different stakeholders in different regions and negotiating with different groups in government.
:white_check_mark: Established the NACC
:white_check_mark: Restored Australia’s authority on the international stage, including our relationship with France, The Pacific, the Quad, AUKUS and China.
:white_check_mark: Subsidised childcare and medication to make it more affordable.
:white_check_mark: Put into action the energy price relief plan despite the coalition moaning and crying a river about it
:white_check_mark: Granting the Biloela family permanent visas after the clusterf Dutton and Morrison put them through.

And much more

Haters can say everything they want but the fact is Labor has done more in 7 months than the Liberals in the past 9 years combined.

In a Seven News report tonight on his appointment comments were made about him being a ‘control freak’, ‘narcissist’ etc according to staff. I found that hard to believe and thought he was a good leader during his first stint and wasn’t worth being rolled. Besides, if Rudd were those descriptions then what about the trash Abbott and Morrison that we got half a decade later and had to endure for almost a decade?

Gillard should’ve waited for her time to come. If Rudd decided to step down or did something that was horrendously bad then she would’ve been able to jump in and lose nothing. But like Paul Keating she didn’t bide her time and the result was she didn’t even make it to a full term without Abbott and them throwing shot after shot which worked for them in the end.

6 Likes

Sky News: “The woke Liberal Party are unfairly criticising themselves and it’s all Labor’s fault.”

LOL

They have no idea nobody is buying the rubbish they are peddling. Out of touch in the Victorian election. Out of touch now.

2 Likes

So the review didn’t find that they need to lurch further to the extreme right than they already are???

Funny that. Sky news is telling us that they aren’t conservative enough and were too woke

2 Likes

So they blame their loss on Labor matching everything they did and better as well as the Teals for existing instead of the fact that they are a useless rabble?