Federal Politics

Please look at what I was responding to; you’d said something about being uncomfortable…
Oh and as for scientists, your argument about accepting some science, etc. didn’t I mention cognitive dissonance later on?

That wasn’t specifically aimed at you, but where’s the empathy for those being discriminated against?

Hopefully not pushing your religion on the unfortunates who need help (something that happens too often).

Rubbish; after religions stop claiming tax deductions, only then maybe whine about me being less-than-nice to organisations which have continued & covered up raping children for decades, all while labelling themselves as being all that’s good, pure, and better than those of us who don’t believe their mythology.

Look at the context again; you were complaining that Atheists are mean, so I retorted that at least we’re not persecuting innocent people who aren’t harming anyone.

Of course they can but you don’t seem to have backed up your view with anything substantial, and my reading was that your religious views seem to be influencing your view on this topic, even though you appeared to have been looking for any other (flimsy) excuse/reason.

You haven’t shown any hurt that would follow SSM.

Again, that’s no reason to deprive some people who aren’t hurting anyone.
Why should they have to wait until us imperfect heterosexuals perhaps, eventually, perfect marriage? How will you define such perfection? No divorce? For how long?

That analogy doesn’t fit this topic. It’s just not a bucket.

Because doing so continues to discriminate against innocent people.

On the News Corp story, since when does reporting some (perhaps silly opinion) become advocacy?
The story seems to be just a bunch of quotes from those three people. I didn’t see anything there that couldn’t just be for click-bait, or maybe an attempt to agitate their conservative readers, create a controversy, etc.

Of course there are all sorts of reasons why a relationship fails. Who was suggesting otherwise?

On the ill-equipped thing, perhaps we need more relationship & family planning taught later in high school? (But still that doesn’t justify continuing discrimination.)

Shame you’ve confirmed that you’re set in your views, and unfortunately want to push your view on innocent people.

1 Like

Fairfax finally realising that the “Turnbull needs to move to the left” BS isn’t working, and will never work, as I’ve been saying.

So how can the Coalition raise its primary share of the vote to winning levels? One option is the one represented by Abbott. He and his acolytes argue that, if he is restored as leader, he will appeal to Hanson’s voters with an authentically right-wing appeal

The other option is the one represented by Turnbull. By moving to the “sensible centre” on policies such as schools funding and health care as he did at the May budget, he will win votes at the centre of the spectrum, votes that otherwise would go to Labor. The problem with this scenario is that, so far, there’s no sign that it’s actually working. The polls have remained unmoved.

Oops, up pops a story about 5 seconds after we’ve just had a discussion about this very issue - the report clearly indicates how desperate the Labor machinery is to keep the identity politics driven views of its MPs and associations hidden out of public view.

I’m sure “mediocre white men” will be a sure fire hit in the battlegrounds come 2019. :joy:

Oh to have the confidence of a mediocre (and sexist & racist!) female state Labor MP. I love the lack of self-awareness by these “white” far-left Labor figures with “white” being used in a disparaging manner - yeah, as opposed to all the Nigerians in Australia, or African Americans in Australia. :roll_eyes:

Only in 2017, in the Labor Party, could a WHITE female MP belittle WHITE people in AUSTRALIA, and not be treated as a lunatic that belongs in an asylum.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/labor-bumper-stickers-taking-aim-at-mediocre-white-men-sold-at-party-fundraiser/news-story/736863b872669547056f76a5caeb86e6

LABOR-branded bumper stickers taking aim at “mediocre white men” have incensed figures within the party

A senior Labor figure said the message had the potential to lose votes in key seats.

“That bumper sticker squarely attacks the people that we’re trying to target in the 2019 election,” the source said.

Another ALP insider expressed disappointment about the stickers

1 Like

Has resigned from Cabinet.

1 Like

After now the LNP have lost a senator (from cabinet but possible soon from parliament)
who’ll be next to fall…?

On an unrelated matter, finally someone’s found a way to get Abbott to shut up…
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/the-last-term-we-are-bound-will-tony-abbotts-words-on-samesex-marriage-come-back-to-haunt-him-20170725-gxict8.html

Mr Abbott did not respond to requests for comment.

Shit… wish he was from the house of reps… would’ve been a by-election and put the governments majority at risk. Hahaha totally laughable seeing as though the government were on about their thorough vetting system.

1 Like

Give it time; the Assistant Health Minister, David Gillespie MHR (Nationals, NSW), could still be ruled ineligible.

Despite what the LNP have been saying, given the explicit wording in the Constitution - “direct or indirect” - he is in serious trouble and I won’t be surprised if he’ll be gone.

Hilarious if Buzzfeed takes down Malcolm Roberts.

3 Likes

Haha, I hope so.

…citizenship status of Roberts, the One Nation senator who was born in India to a Welsh father and reportedly became a British national.

One Nation? Which nation?

This guy must be in serious trouble otherwise he’d have just released the documentary proof showing when he renounced citizenship of the UK (and India?).

This Malcom Roberts bloke is a raving launatic. Needs to go and hopefully this brings him down. He’s an unstable tin foil hat type of person who probably believes the world is flat.

1 Like

If he goes, who was next on the ticket for PHON?

Totally bonkers BS out of Queensland here - and you wait for these type of dopeys to be in charge of educating children?

Queensland education officials have moved to ban refer­ences to Jesus in the primary school yard, with an unofficial policy that takes aim at junior evangelists.

Examples of evangelising cited in the review, as well as two earlier reviews into religious ­instruction providers, include sharing Christmas cards that refer to Jesus’s birth, creating Christmas tree decorations to give away and

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/education/junior-evangelists-targeted-in-schoolyard-crackdown/news-story/e719eabc9778e812fd390bd2736a6373

“Hate crime”? :joy:

1 Like

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/more-mps-could-be-at-risk-as-dual-citizenship-crisis-threatens-to-widen-20170726-gxjaz7.html

Fuelling concerns is the growing realisation that Senator Canavan’s stated ignorance of his Italian citizenship may be immaterial in the court’s interpretation of the constitution. It states that no person can be capable of election to parliament who is a foreign citizen “or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power”.

This part sums up well the problem with the current wording in the constitution:

University of NSW law expert George Williams said section 44 was unsuited to modern Australia calling it a “Pandora’s box”.
“I’ll be surprised if more people are not caught up because it turns on the laws of another country,” he said.

I’m not for god or any sort of religious teachings in any school, as I always believed that what private schools were to emphasis the Jesus/religious part.

However I don’t agree with banning the word Jesus in the primary school yard. If we have to ban something from the christian teachings then why arent’ they looking at catholics , muslims and having some of their words or whatever used in the primary school yard.

World gone mad…

Nanny police on the way…

1 Like

Oh same here. I’ve always noticed that the most hateful anti-Christianity types are those who were forced to go to private school by their parents and have grown up begrudging religion.

That someone at the Queensland education department is even thinking, discussing, contemplating banning children sharing Christmas cards is just totally outrageous, however.

The only thing that should be banned are the dopeys who initiated that discussion from ever holding employment in the education sector again.

Emphasis added:

It’s unofficial, so it hasn’t been approved by the Education dept?

This is the problem. It’s a reaction, trying to stop the obnoxious preaching from a few troublemakers, hence it’s inconsistent. Perhaps they should just ban all preaching, say that basically religion doesn’t belong in school, it can wait for the right place & time, and at school that’d be in a comparitive religion class?

So sadly it seems the pollies are too busy arguing to be able to bundle up and argue for some reasonable amendments to the constitution.