Federal Politics

Oh I totally stand by that, trust me.

Lives are on the line insofar that a plebiscite will raise rates of suicide in the LGBT community.

So a free vote = painless, no deaths, and still reflective of public sentiment.

Plebiscite = democratic, but adversely affecting those it purports to liberate.

It is shocking that you can defend this.

The plebiscite will? Or you mean because some people who are bullies, who otherwise are not aware of the existence of a gay person in their surroundings, and wouldnā€™t otherwise belittle them for that, suddenly WOULD become aware, and bully them for that, simply because the news talks about the subject?

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s necessarily the right course of action - Iā€™m saying it it totally understandable why this subject may be one that is put to a vote, and why that is in line with the election result last year.

So people who point out that a popular vote on gay marriage will raise rates of suicide are actually the ones to blame for their suicides?

Utter, total nonsense. Weā€™re trying to save lives and apparently weā€™re the bad guys. Total fucking logic.

1 Like

How about this logic: if those who point out it will raise rates of suicide instead asked those who felt uncomfortable with the political discussion to take positive action to raise the issue with their MP, talk about it with a close confidante (friend, family member etc), or not to despair as change is just as likely in the next parliament when Labor is in power, do you then think those suicides would be smaller in number?

I certainly do.

Why?
The LNP canā€™t claim to have a mandate for every one of their hair-brained policies when they scraped in with a single seat majority.
The Abbott-led LNP opposition didnā€™t exactly respect the government-of-the-dayā€™s policies when Gillard was PM.

While itā€™s obvious that heterosexuality is required for the continuation of the species, Iā€™d be careful linking procreation with marriage:
Such a linkage could result in the proposterous, extremely offensive & hurtful conclusion that couples (including heterosexual ones) shouldnā€™t marry or arenā€™t a ā€˜realā€™ marriage if they canā€™t have kids (including if theyā€™ve gotten married later in life or because of infertility at a younger age).

Oh and letā€™s stop pretending that parliament voting for something is somehow undemocratic; that flawed logic suggests youā€™d want to replace our representative democracy with routine referenda on every proposed law change anyone wants.

Also the Brexiteers only just narrowly won their referendum; it wasnā€™t an overwhelming majority of eligible voters deciding to leave the EU.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve been at work all day but here again, hereā€™s a couple of things I want to dispute.

Peopleā€™s vierws have not been accurately established, thereā€™s a fear that people canā€™t speak out about gay marriage. You watch on internet forums and in the community when they say they have concerns, theyā€™ll be shouted at, called a religious nutjob (case below), called all sorts of things ranging from out of touch to a pedophile (surely thatā€™s not a way to win a debate by accusing the other person of abhorrent abuse?). Take a look at what happens anytime someone says they donā€™t agree.

Again, something those for SSM canā€™t seem to understand. Not everybody who disagrees is religious, there are staunch atheists who donā€™t agree and they hate being put in the religious category. Similarly there are Christians who are some of the biggest supporters and the way of thanking them for their support is apparently to belittle, mock and offend their belief system which is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

As for linking suicides, ALL suicides are terrible. ALL bullying is terrible, the way the debate has turned at times however is that only kids who commit suicide for being gay are the ones who matter. The Safe Schools program is supposed to be anti-bullying but itā€™s only really anti-LGBT Bullying. If youā€™re bullied for wearing glasses, being foreign, being indigenous, having a different coloured hair etcā€¦ it doesnā€™t matter. Why donā€™t those suicides matter? Teenage years are hard for so many people. Believe it or not, that was one of the things the Chaplains in schools were in place for. But, because people had their anti-religious bigotry they all hated them without even knowing what they did or without talking to the schools who actually appreciated them

Now, Iā€™ve sat back and let a few things slide with the anti-religious comments the past few days from many different people in different threads but donā€™t you think itā€™s bullying? What if I went up to you and used a few homophobic slurs? Would that be acceptable? No. So why is it ok to deliberately try and offend others like me? Especially if youā€™re trying to convince me to support your cause.

2 Likes

The idea of caring this much about stopping something (marriage equality) that has absolutely no effect on you seems so fucking exhausting to me.

2 Likes

Unlike God, homosexuality actually exists for a start.

3 Likes

And that is exactly the disrespectful response and why a proper debate canā€™t be had. I have my views and you have yours.

EDIT: just a quick edit now that Iā€™m not on the phone to make the sentence make sense.

1 Like

But people believe it will have an effect on society. Marriage is already having a negative effect on society with increases in divorce etcā€¦ People want to work on strengthening marriages first before changing it all even more from the way it has been.

Why are people who were so dead against marriage a decade ago now so passionate that they want it?

So many questions. Also, what is Marriage Equality? Allowing gay people to get married still wonā€™t make it equal. Similarly, looking at alternative measures it is and always has been equal.

1 Like
  1. Unlike your sexual orientation, you can choose your religion (or realise your imaginary friend isnā€™t real).
  2. (Speaking for myself) Iā€™m not trying to convince anyone who is fixed in their views (I donā€™t know how much you are/arenā€™t); thereā€™ll always be some people like that and Iā€™ve concluded (unfortunately) thereā€™s no point trying.
  3. Itā€™s not my cause, but - like realising all religion is nonsense - Iā€™ve come to accept the logic of not discriminating against people who didnā€™t choose their sexual orientation any more than you chose the colour of your skin.

Tell that to John Howard; his idea of strengthening marriage was to add a narrow legal definition, but I donā€™t recall his government doing anything to ā€˜strengthenā€™ it, or perhaps make it harder (for heterosexuals) to get married (to ensure people getting married really want to, avoid some mistakes & thus reduce the number of divorces?).

I worry with suggestions to make it harder to get divorced; why force people to live in misery?
Other people (including Parliament) canā€™t make a couple happy together again after theyā€™ve fallen out of love.
Please accept that (preferably along with that homosexuality isnā€™t a choice and lose your faith in non-existent things) and move on.

2 Likes

How do you propose ā€˜strengthening marriageā€™. You canā€™t force people to stay married. How does allowing same-sex marriage have any affect on heterosexuals not being capable of holding together a marriage?

Name me one country that same-sex marriage has had a seismic shift on society and has changed the foundation of the country after it. It affects the people that will use it, everyone else can move on with their lives.

4 Likes

Alright, back home again now and on the PC, thanks for the comments, some more constructive than others. Itā€™s nice to actually have an intelligent debate on important societal issues.

I agree, you can choose your religion but there are also some people who choose their sexuality also. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s all or many but there are some that Iā€™ve seen on docos in the past before talking about it. One of the reasons why was to actually fit in which surprised me. But thinking about it, that can make sense and thereā€™s actually quite a few similiarities between the LGBT and church communities. Both operate as a community, intent on helping each other and both intent on promoting their causes in the wider world. In the past you could easily say the church had more influence than the LGBT community but the last decade has seen the balance swing completely opposite and the LGBT community certainly have momentum .

Live and let live? I always hear that itā€™s Christians ramming their views down peopleā€™s throats but I tend to find that many Atheists sure love to tell me what I donā€™t really want to hear about. One important thing is knowing that your experiences are yours alone. Only you can come to your own conclusion using your own experiences to form your opinion. Likewise, only I have experienced everything that I have experienced and I can form a different conclusion based on my own evidence. My only request is that people actually do think about what they want to believe or not believe because itā€™s just annoying when people simply say ā€œGod doesnā€™t existā€ just because they saw a Bible once in a hotel room but didnā€™t even bother reading it or because they all hate gays (apparentlyā€¦ not sure how a gay Christian feels about that one). I remember seeing someone proudly announce the whole Christian story is BS because Easter falls on a different day each yearā€¦ Scientists and historians etcā€¦ have clearly wasted all their hours investigating it all when the whole meaning of life was so simple after all!

Back to my first point made yesterday I think, itā€™s not discrimination, itā€™s about what marriage means to you. To some, itā€™s simply about love. To me, thereā€™s more to it.

Itā€™s not about ā€œforcingā€ people to stay married, itā€™s about helping people through their marriages. I remember people got upset at me once before when I talked about one thing that either John Howard or Tony Abbott did one election (I know, I canā€™t believe that Tony Abbott may have done one good thing, I feel so dirty saying that I need a shower). That was pre-marriage counselling vouchers. Itā€™s weird, itā€™s a normal thing in the church world, you get married and as part of the process you have some pre-marriage counselling beforehand. Itā€™s not because your relationship is in trouble, itā€™s not because youā€™re having cold feet itā€™s because itā€™s training to help work through issues when they come up in marriage so that you donā€™t get to the point where youā€™re ā€œforcedā€ to stay together. People go to counsellors for issues all the time for a bit of a tune up, people are always doing extra training for their jobs so why is the idea of doing it for a marriage so strange? Would you rock up at a trial for the Olympic Swimming Team and get up on the blocks never having swum before and just hope for the best? I hope not, Iā€™d hope youā€™ve trained and trained and trained so you can do your best.
Having marriage courses, parenting courses, life coaching, whatever you want to call it, can help to hopefully bring the divorce rate down and help the many kids who are struggling through parental breakup.

As for SSM having an effect on heterosexuals not being capable to hold a marriage. Iā€™d simply like to see more focus on marriages and having them have more potential to stay together before opening it up to more and more people without looking at the root cause of the current failures. Why set people up to ultimately fail?

Too soon to really say the effects, need a generation or so to really be able to tell but itā€™s interesting that the slippery slope argument was being laughed at all the time when people talked about it, but now News Corp and Colombia and groups in USA etcā€¦ are all pushing for polygamy, so where does it end? We were told that would never happen but it is being talked about in the same way SSM was a few years ago.
The other thing I donā€™t approve of is when you say it only affects the people that will use it, not necessarily. It was talked about that Pastors would be able to excuse themselves from performing a SSM if they didnā€™t want to but the last time the legislation was talked about, that provision no longer existed. That and the whole Christian baker cases and all of those situations. Ruining somebodyā€™s livelihoods simply because they donā€™t agree with your opinion? Iā€™d say it does affect other people.

All Iā€™d assume is youā€™re referring to bisexuals, but (for brevityā€™s sake ignoring the longer discussions that could ensue) thatā€™s no reason that homosexuals should be denied marriage.
This seems to be a ā€˜look over there!ā€™ distraction that doesnā€™t go to the point of removing discrimination.

Thatā€™d be because religion - which is based on faith in things that canā€™t be proven (such as things that arenā€™t real or even those which have been disproven), rather than facts - has for centuries pushed (and continues to) push their views on the rest of society.

In this case you want to stop some people getting married because of your opinion, not any facts to justify stopping such marriages, no evidence of any harm caused, etc.

Itā€™s not my problem that facts, science, the real world, make you uncomfortable/offend your world view which is based on fantasy/religion.

Yes we each come to our own opinions based on our experiences, but what most irritates me is when people are so stuck in their views they refuse to try to see things from other points of view, such as what if you were gay, or what if you werenā€™t born into as well-off a household, what if you lost your job & couldnā€™t find another anytime soon, got cancer, etc., or what if youā€™re wrong and there is no god?

People need to have some empathy for those who are less well off, not believe the right-wing propaganda which just wants to make the very well off feel good about themselves by blaming people for being poor/sick/unlucky; almost none of them are lazy or the other nonsense claimed. Likewise most people donā€™t want to leave their home country, get on leaky boats, etc; almost all of them are escaping a horrible situation in this world. (Basically, no one wants to be a refugee.)

Cognitive dissonance isnā€™t uncommon with religion. Itā€™s not atheists who are citing sections of religious texts to justify persecuting homosexuals.

Thatā€™s easy for you to say since youā€™re not being denied marriage/youā€™re not being discriminated against.

Why?
Why should some people be denied marriage just because some others havenā€™t been fully successful at it?
I donā€™t hear you advocating abolishing marriage entirely, so why just stop homosexuals from marrying? Thereā€™s no logic to your statement here.
(Since weā€™re digging up old arguments:) Will you next say I canā€™t eat steak because a baby canā€™t chew?

Why should another generation here have to continue to be discriminated against?
This is nonsense. Next thereā€™ll be yet another delaying tactic, perhaps some sort of ā€˜Australia is differentā€™ rubbish.

Really? News Corp - the right-wing media organisation which owns Fox News Channel in the USA & the Daily Telegraph, etc. in Australia - are advocating polygamy?
Stirring up fear about it perhaps, but advocating it?
And as for other groupsā€¦ what some fringe like a small number of Mormons, Muslims or othersā€¦ this slippery slope argument is still ridiculous. Letā€™s stick to the topic of removing this discrimination.

What legislation? How about then arguing the specifics of what exemptions you want in the bill rather than arguing against the whole thing?
Perhaps we need to just ban cars, trains, trams, planes & boats, because some of them crash occasionally?

That is more nonsense; if a business can discriminate against customers based on sexual orientation, then why not on religion, skin colour/race?

Either youā€™re in a business or not; why should a bakery be different than a restaurant, supermarket, bank, hotel, car dealer?

Freedom of religion isnā€™t about making you comfortable, itā€™s about being free: It is you not being forced to follow a state religion (the religion decided by the majority), whether that be Anglican/Church of England, Catholic, Islam, Buddhist, etc; it is about you being allowed to practice your own religion, or none at all.

It is not about you being free to push your religion on others, refuse them service until they bow to your religion, discriminate against them legally, etc. Doing so is equivalent to not having freedom of religion.

What we can be certain of is what can be proven scientifically, so letā€™s make this life as good as it can be for the most number of people, including people who are in same sex relationships and want to get married.

PS: A new poll:

3 Likes

If marriage is already a shitty concept in modern society, then why not expand the shittiness to everyone?

Increased rates of divorce and marital separation are due to the fact that women can more readily leave relationships nowadays, find a job and remarry than they could in the early and middle 20th Century.

Therefore the only way to fix marriage is to make women subservient againā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps if big business en-masse say this, just maybe enough of the LNP willā€¦?

Not necessarily, but letā€™s not get distracted. Just that thereā€™s all kinds of straight people and all kinds of gay people in the world.

Once again, not everything to Christians is based upon religion. They can all think for themselves and come to their own conclusions. Weā€™re really not as dumb as people think we are. It actually has me questioning the intelligence of others though when they canā€™t seem to understand those concepts. At least you didnā€™t bring in the flat Earth argument that apparently all Christians believe in and I still donā€™t understand why Christians seemingly canā€™t believe in Science? Do you agree with absolutely everything that Science tells you or do you simply pick and choose which things? Remember a scientist was the one who said originally that vaccines cause autism and we know about that one.

I agree, not sure where youā€™re thinking that I donā€™t have empathy or that I donā€™t look after those less well off. I have been involved in many organisations, community groups etcā€¦ helping others and churches all around Australia and the world offer so many different programs to those who are struggling. Imagine if all the effort put into persecuting the church for their apparent views on homesexuality were put into assisting or promoting the good works being done. Typical Australian culture though is to bring others down rather than build them up though.

I didnā€™t quote religious texts either. Iā€™ve read the Bible and it never mentions anywhere once about gay marriage. So yet again, people can agree or disagree without being religious. Not sure how many times that needs to be stated.

Not an easy decision to take at all actually, takes a lot of weighing up and knowing that either way people will get hurt. I do believe in marriage and I want to see it return to what it has been in the past (not the women subservient BS thatā€™s mentioned below but Iā€™ll get to that one). Maybe then, once marriage is back to a serious commitment and entered into for life etcā€¦ and not just about having the most expensive glitziest party and piss up then it can be expanded.
Itā€™s not easy going against what everyone else vocally supports, including abortion and euthanasia. Itā€™s even worse when people refuse to even look at your arguments and instead put words and arguments in your mouth insteadā€¦ oh yeah and simply simplify it back to just being religious and there is no God etcā€¦

If you had a hole in a bucket and saw water leaking out would you try and repair the hole or just throw more water in the bucket? I hold marriage values highly and I think that it could be better. Why not attempt to fix it first.

Yep, thereā€™s been at least three stories over the past couple of months on their site. Hereā€™s just one I could find with a quick search in the Google machine.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/family-friends/two-bisexual-women-and-their-husband-love-parenting-as-threesome/news-story/cdba0aaf9425c3dc725c2fa5e2bcf4c1
As for the groups, they werenā€™t from any of those fringe groups so letā€™s not just try and sweep it under the carpet. Iā€™ll be sure to post when they put up some more for you as that link there wasnā€™t the best one.

Nope, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s other solutions and other reasons for marriages ending. But I guess those with the anti-religious blinkers wonā€™t bother looking for any other information. Have you seen people in struggling marriages? Have you seen them get back together? It takes work which a lot of people simply refuse to put in or are unprepeared and ill-equipped for challenges. But hey, letā€™s just narrow it down to have a dig at the Christian again. Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t mention the ā€œWives submit to your husbandā€ Bible verse again that people love to throw around without talking about the second part of the command.

Anyway, Iā€™m done. You all have your opinions and I have mine, neither of us will budge. But just remember, there are others out there who have intelligently come to their own conclusions based on everything they have experienced and everyone they have been around. Dumbing it down to simply them being sheep is plain offensive and wrong and could easily be said about those on the other side.