Federal Politics

Vs the Coalition:

• Tony Abbott standing in front of a sign saying ‘Ditch the Witch’ and ‘Julia Gillard is a man’s B**ch’

• Bronwyn Bishop abusing parliamentary privileges as speaker whilst fleecing taxpayer money to fund her helicopter rides.

• Barnaby Joyce

• Scomo deserting the nation to enjoy Hawaii whilst the nation burns up.

• Scomo claiming that Australia’s hitting its climate targets whilst refusing to meaningfully commit to action against climate change because they’re scared of the coal lovers in the country areas.

• Their constant resistance towards meaningful action against sexual misconduct.

• their stupidity in leaving the states to their own peril during COVID whilst inciting state vs state tensions.

• Peter Dutton and Scott Morrison both being proud of their track records at keeping refugees in detention whilst abhorrently handling the Biloela family’s case.

Which one did worse? I’ll let those with common sense figure that out.

11 Likes

What do people think of the first Albo budget?

My thoughts on the budget is that with knowledge and understanding of the current global situation and soaring inflation everywhere plus shortage of energy reserves from the Ukraine war, the budget itself is actually fairly decent in prioritising the important macro aspects of the economy. Good funding on health/aged care, specific attention to climate change and renewable energy which aims to make power prices lower in the long term future, families provided with grants in the next period to sustain spending amidst growing cost of living etc.

Could it be better? Yes it would be nice if power prices can be reduced but then again that’s a combination of the Coalition’s inability to switch to renewable energy the 9 years they were in power plus the current situation with the war in Ukraine which puts the government between a rock and hard spot.

The Coalition really showed their true pathetic colours the last two days with their relentless whinging about power prices and how Albo ‘broke’ the promise of power price cuts. Hello did you fools not realise that your inability to invest in sustainable energy and your inaction prior to the election have led to this outcome? Them screaming across the chamber and each member complaining about how Albo and his government should ‘apologise’ is laughable.

3 Likes

Albo’s been in power barely 5 months and the Coalition think he can magically remedy what they created over 9 years?

Mind, the shoe was on the other foot when Abbott came to power with Labor and the media carrying on about the debt only weeks after the election.

2 Likes

Very true. Guess that’s what passes for politics in this country.

1 Like

Trial abandoned after juror misconduct - information accessed on-line brought into the jury room.

2 Likes

What happens now?

1 Like

The DPP has to decide on whether to mount another trial.

New trial listed for 20 Feb 2023. Bruce Lehrmann’s bail has been granted on condition he doesn’t contact Brittany Higgins

2 Likes

Budget was pointless it showed Labor can’t deliver on two of their promises

• Cut electricity bill by $275
  • Help with cost of living expenses

Also 140,000 jobs to be done with predictions of our employment rate to rise to 4.5%

Thanks Albo!

So you want inflation to get even higher, nice one indeed. People need to live within their means while the RBA progressively work to untangle the mess created by COVID and that free money train.

I am actually quite comfortable with what came out on Tuesday in reigning in expenditure, although I still think there is massive room to reign in ongoing expenditure.

Hopefully that NDIS taskforce does its job properly because NDIS is going to sink this country the way the numbers are growing each year. It needs to be brought back under control and significant work needs to be done tightening the “reasonable” definition as it is clearly not clear enough with the claims people are putting on it.

2 Likes

This comment shows a lack of understanding of macro and micro economic policy. We seriously have education issues in the country when all we hear from people is Sky and News Corp talking points. Talk about misinformation.

7 Likes

A lot of regional programs and funding opportunities have either been merged, renamed or cut entirely. Funding opportunities for quite a few major infrastructure projects out in the Central West have been withdrawn. The most cutbacks I have seen, but understandable given today’s climate.

I haven’t paid much attention to metropolitan areas, but is this the case too?

There was without a doubt more money spent in the outback under the Coalition due to the power of their partner, the Nationals. It is natural now that they are gone, Labor will see easy pickings from regional areas as they do not have the same political pressure as the Libs did.

With so much whinging from the Coalition about this budget, do they even have a vision about what to do if they were in power (shudder)? Didn’t they just throw mud on the wall in the last 9 years and see if it stuck on the wall (which it didn’t) with the budget?

Even if they had a plan for their ‘worries’ about power bills their solution would probably be to dismantle the climate change bill and push for more coal mines and fossil fuels (I mean, they’re called the Coal-ition for a reason).

Also, Bruce Lehrmann’s barrister has referred some of the comments made by Brittany Higgins (after the mistrial) to the court and Australian Federal Police.

We have brought these comments to the attention of the court and the Australian Federal Police and it is a matter for the court and the Australian Federal Police to consider and determine whether the complainant’s comments might amount to a contempt of court offences against the ACT Criminal Code.

Very frustrating for the alleged victims. However, it was likely going to be a hung jury anyway. Not that we are privy the jury room but it’s obvious 1 juror was stubborn on guilty or not guilty (and from the alleged material that was found I would say that would be not guilty).

ABC reported the court was told the item found was:

The court heard the academic paper related to the “unhelpfulness of trying to quantify” how often false rape accusations were made.

Interesting I misheard on the news. From what I can see the research paper could be used to support both a guilty or a not guilty verdict. It’s a shame a juror did this.

1 Like

Could be better, could be worse - I think some of their projections are a bit questionable, but we’re in semi-uncharted territory. Their “program” to build new homes was particularly poor and very light on detail - I’m not convinced that Labor are that different in their position on home ownership then what the Libs were.

Other than fuel, I find it really hard to fathom why we’d be suffering shortages given we either have self-generated sources or mine it ourselves - it feels more like an excuse to raise prices than being an actual thing.

We’re rapidly facing a cost-of-living crisis and two of the key policies in that space that Labor went to the last election with have had little to no mention in their first budget - it can’t be that surprising that people are asking what the hell is going on.

Similar in the North West - Not surprising given the audit office findings - but digging deeper into the budget seems to reveal that they’ll be effectively rebadged and given a bit of a haircut.

This should really highlight that in the ACT, there is no alternate pathway (Judge only hearing) for the case

2 Likes

When the economic circumstances have changed they had to change the settings given the mess the previous government left them as well as the international forces weighing on the economy since the election.

They have responsibly changed tack to suit the times and have taken a political hit. That’s actually the right thing to do. Suffer the consequence of the electorate being pissed off about their measly $275 for long term stability to be added to the economy that can steer the country through the current climate.

They’re damned if they do damned if they don’t. Shoveling money to the populous they’d have even greater dire economic problems.

3 Likes