Federal Politics

I think you’ll find that there is a sizable part of the Australian population that shares that a similar worldview. They’re just not as likely to frequent these parts of the internet (or the internet full stop). One of the dangers of the internet is that it is very easy to lose perspective when you are primarily among like minded people.
Do I agree with a lot of those views- no. Does that make their views trolling and/or less worthy? Also no.

2 Likes

It’s not as black and white like that though. Plenty of trolling on both sides of the fence. Urban Dictionary puts it best:

That definitely exists, even here.

2 Likes

Fair call- while definitely a very controversial point of view though on here in the context of the MS community, I know certainly around here (which admittedly is a relatively conservative area politically) in general society that view would not be considered all that controversial.

It would be seen as an extremely long bow to draw by everyone else though. I mean, I wouldn’t even go that far with describing a Labor government. It’s a borderline troll position to claim the Liberals are basically perfect at their jobs.

2 Likes

I don’t think this is true either. I have read a lot of comments from people that disagree with you who have said some right leaning comments as well.

The issue is your comments weren’t based on fact. You haven’t even done any research into some who might hold similar positions in labour. Do you not think a Penny Wong, Tanya Plidersek, Bill Shorten etc could do a similar job?

Your comments can be so one sided that it can come across as trolling. And this is coming from someone who has stood up for you in the past.

5 Likes

No one is expecting them to be able to accurately predict the future - but the signs that the situation could rapidly turn here in Australia was always there, we ignored them, and then when things rapidly changed we were caught napping.

Not all of that lies at the feet of the feds - several states need to be held accountable for it as well. We might have won round one, but we monumentally and royally fucked up rounds two and three by thinking and acting as we could rely on what we did before rather than tempering our response with the sheer amount of information and data from outbreaks in other countries.

In some respects, it almost meaningless what the Libs actual performance was - they’ve been able to curate such a narrative that a lot of people have simply lost any faith in what they say and what they do. A significant amount of damage was done prior to Covid, but Covid has just resulted in it doubling down.

I suspect it’s still a lot closer than what the current polls are suggesting - if we have indeed seen the peak of the omicron wave on the east coast and the market gets flooded with rapid test kits in the next few weeks, it may be enough to sway people back towards the Libs (and I suspect that this is a key strategy in their election strategy - hope that things improve before the election needs to be called knowing that people could more easily sway back)

Its easy to get consumed by what’s posted online and to believe that the Libs are cooked at the next election, but online and especially social media is predominately a series of echo chambers that are not necessarily reflective of the broader community (and a number of them do a pretty good job of amplifying a particular message and forcing out counterpoints and counter opinions). Their position may indeed come to fruition, but its something that you need to be mindful of.

Misinformation is going to be a major issue for the election and its not necessarily from a nefarious foreign power - its quite often people who think they’re doing the ‘right’ thing and get wound up trying to find ways to discredit their enemy. You only have to see the sort of shit that people like Leo (of 6 News fame) for calling out some of the utter shit that is being spread as true.

3 Likes

That’s a fair call that most people wouldn’t go to that extent in normal conversation regardless of political affiliation- understandable though if you are particularly passionate about the party you support (although I respect that others may disagree with that).

I do know one lady at work who would though, but she’s a card carrying member of the Liberal Party which explains that. :wink:

The lockdowns were a necessary evil.in my opinion even here in the UK. The problem with.the Morrison government was the.idea.to.leave it up to the states and then back peddled when he didn’t like what they were doing.

2 Likes

No, it’s because you’re very right leaning on the scale and this is leading to your perception as most members here being on the left, where in reality most are centrally screwed on most issues.

2 Likes

I disagree. Without getting into it too much, my posts at the moment could be judged as centre-right. With issues relating to coronavirus more so than others I’d be to the right, but on a whole lot of other topics and subjects I’d see myself in the centre or to the left. As captaincupcake said, some of the things I say on here wouldn’t be considered controversial in the real world.

Nope… I’ve read a lot of your comments on a lot of issues. Most are not central or left. I think it’s fair to say there is a pattern with your posts.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Mmm hmm :thinking:

I’m sure tens of thousands of refugees and asylum seekers would disagree

It was not known back then how it would turn out. If the pandemic had dropped out, they’d be calling for his head for spending billions on a contract with big business for their mates on something that didn’t turn out.

It was, who still uses it? I never even downloaded it. Don’t each of the states and territories have their own one now?

That doesn’t make sense.

Absolutely.

I respect someone for generally being right-leaning because they prefer more self-reliance, less regulation, etc., but ignoring the Morrison government’s gross incompetence, blatant waste of taxpayers money, running up the highest debt on record (before the pandemic, which brings to mind the LNP’s hypocrisy after their prior ‘debt & deficit’ exaggerations), and neglecting their responsibilities, is totally unreasonable.

Claiming Morrison & his ministers are competent seems to be either deranged or trolling, the latter of which is obviously fun for some people.

In case I’m wrong, to the original question; I think Labor’s good a very good team. There are quite a few who were very good ministers before the 2013 election (including Penny Wong & Tanya Plibersek, who weren’t mentioned in the question) plus newer MPs who appear both competent and interested in doing a good job.

Labor seems to have a good reserve of potential/future ministers too, whereas the LNP appear to have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years now (otherwise why ignore past scandals & bring back to the ministry Barnaby Joyce, Bridget McKenzie, Stuart Robert to name just three?).

The LNP need a good amount of time in opposition and to hopefully get new/fresh talent into Parliament in a couple of elections; until they do, they deserve to stay in opposition.

6 Likes
1 Like

I’m struggling to work out how anything he has said there (re: Kyrgios) could be construed as a swipe at Grace Tame. If there is a reference there (and I’m inclined to doubt it), he’s done a very good job at being subtle.
That in itself makes me think there’s no reference that he’s made as subtlety is, to be fair, just one of the many things that aren’t his strong suit.
I think Sarah Hanson-Young might be drawing a bit of a long bow here and implying things where there is nothing substantial to back it up.

Those are two different things. The swipe at Grace Tame happened the day before when he made the comment about himself and his wife welcome people to their homes with a smile, after there weren’t smiles all round for the cameras. The praise for Nick Kyrgios speaking his mind happened the day after that.

2 Likes