Federal Politics

Peter Dutton promises a return to ‘conservative’ - read reactionary - values along with populist economic promises; he will cut immigration and power bills according to the far right Abbott policy agenda.

But opening the door to authoritarianism is opening the door to potential societal chaos with division and instability rising and will make our nation even less humane.

Trump’s America is the cautionary tale that applies.

Australia is at a political crossroads.

An election is necessary, now.

1 Like

If this is not referred to the high court there is a massive stench of corruption right here. Only the House can refer on to the High Court and unfortunately the government has the numbers.

1 Like

But if he became PM and a couple of Nats crossed the floor like Drum and Chester have suggested could happen. Hell he may not even make it past a a no confidence motion.

but all it would take if for the cross bench to side with Labor.

Will the cross bench stand up for Australia or will they stick with the dirty deals they have in place with the government for supply?

Astonished they are going down this populist path. He’s been out today calling to take the GST of electricity bills for everyone except single people. And saying there should be a Royal Commission into energy companies. The Coalition introduced the broad based consumption tax to eliminate inefficient piecemeal and inconsistent taxation regimes that existed on goods and services. He’s effectively promising to start to dismantle that when the budget is deep in deficit and debt is rising.

Add to that, I cannot think of one major policy achievement Peter Dutton has been responsible. Scott Morrison and Tony Abbott set up Operation Sovereign Borders and stopped the boats as they say. They did this while Dutton was trying (and failed) to sell a hugely unpopular Medicare co-payment policy. Doctors also gave him this dubious honour.

courier fail reporting that they think that Malcolm Turnbull could face a leadership spill before Question Time, and is unlikely to have the numbers, sources have revealed.
The Courier-Mail understands key backers of Malcolm Turnbull have switched sides to Peter Dutton.
It will likely spark a mass Cabinet reshuffle.

I know a very different Malcolm, as I said I was employed by one of his companies he was a part owner in some 20 years ago, back then he was i his early 40’s, overweight , was a Republican (but in the good way) but was brilliant in the way he was able to smooth things out, but again that in a business sense where he held the majority shares of the company and as such controlled the board and worked as a managing director so no body could mess with him, even back then he would openly talk about the tripe that was going on in Canberra especially when Howard said “no GST in a Government I lead” then all of a sudden GST was introduced and en-acted on in July 1 2000, it was around that time that I moved on and went to work for another group (in the same field) so since then I have no idea about what drives him, but back then from 1996 to 2000 he was always looking at what was going on in Canberra while at the same time doing great business (well in the company I was employed at that he was a part owner in) and well in other business that he was a part or outright owner in.

Today it’s a very different Malcolm, he seems too scared to take the risks he used to take, but he still has that ability to ride things out smoothly, for the most part.

Has be bent over and taken to much abuse from the hard-right? most definitely, but it could be due to the way he is viewed as too left leaning (HA, he was ruthless in the way he ran his business in the 80’s and 90’s but that is another story for another day).

Put it this way, if Kerry packer liked you and trusted you then you know what type of person he is, he also happens to be anti-old man which has probably hurt him way to much that he would be prepared to say.

1 Like

Too early to make that jump, that press conference with Winston (who reps for NZ govt) and Bishop was awful, Julie looks like she knows the end is near for her run as Foreign Minister, she looks likie she has not slept at all and is wearing the same clothes as yesterday, but it could be other issues.

Morrison like Costello does not have the balls to make it a threeway.

1 Like

apparently the reason why Malcolm has not gone to see the GG is because the Libs are near broke in terms of free flowing cash to fight an election right now.

thats very well known. the vic libs especilly - they have tried in the past to extend a mortgage on the melbourne HQ and have been refused

well things move really fast now:

1pm is what I am hearing, Malcolm has been issued with a notice that his time is up.

a 3rd option will run also, who that is?

Could potentially be someone who has at least 7 votes (which Dutton can’t get) which would be enough to force a run off between Dutton and that 3rd party who would then not run.

1 Like

according to Speers

Governor General has decided it would be prudent to stay in Canberra for the rest of this week.

poor GG being forced to stay in Canberra for the weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

as a voter i wish they would just get on governing the country we haven’t had a decent pm since john howard . iam sick to death of all this knifing just get on with it ffs

more like the last good PM was Hawk and possibly Keating, Howard was a n absolute shit stain on Australia and was rightly booted out by his constituency because he tried to force Work Choice on everybody but themselves.

5 Likes

Also didn’t he use asylum seekers in 2000 to win the election and say it would be beazo’s fault if he became PM?

Malcolm had his chance to go to GG and dissolve the House of reps and 1/2 senate.

Official, Malcolm to talk to media at 1pm. (approx)

the word around Canberra is Malcolm is gonna fold and walk away which will force whom ever gets the job to go to an early election as they wont have cupply of confidence on the floor as the Speaker vote will, be needed to bake the tie, but should 1 cross bench jump and not offer supply then its a full blown

constitutional crisis and the GG like in 1975 will have to make a call and fix this mess and he only has one option since 1975 and that is to dissolve this current commonwealth parliament.

wild rumor alert:

Tony Abbott is the 3rd man that will run should there be a spill …

He’s been my local federal MP for the best part of two decades, Flinders (essentially the Morn Pen) is one of the safest Liberal seats in the country. Not saying that’s the way I vote however. He is very conservative. He’s apparently also a Christian and has been to my local congregation a few times for talks.

This is gold…2GB and Sky on the race to the bottom. The frothing at the mouth is hilarious.

2 Likes