Federal Election 2019 - Media Coverage

They’ve done that before lol

Jokes aside, it’s going to be a long long road for them.

It’s not just news that people don’t go to 10 for. It’s everything. The whole network is heavily underperforming. Even their golden goose Masterchef is underperforming this year.

Yes. I agree.

But advocating for job losses is beyond repugnant

4 Likes

This is the 2nd time in less than 24 hours you have been caught putting words in people’s mouth.

Where does it say that? Where does Sifon say they should loose their jobs?

Don’t do election coverage.

They never did it during the glory years of 90s / 00s and I don’t recall the news brand suffering because of it. They don’t need election coverage to rebuild their news brand.

Fair enough and I appreciate your response.

For me, I simply don’t care about elections in India or long form overseas stories.

I live in Australia. It’s just not relevant to me.

But I can see how some people want to be informed about those things.

Ps: I didn’t say anything about enjoying car crash stories etc. For the record, I agree with you on that point.

The 1 hour bulletins have become too much. Short 30 minute bulletins are all that’s needed. More local but less car accident stories.

1 Like

The commercial bulletins don’t show enough international news these days. Years ago you’d get a world news segment in a half hour bulletin that mentioned events beyond the US and Britain. We now have one hour bulletins and all we get is the big political story of the day in the US and Great Britain and some inane pop culture pieces. I find it rather sad.

10 Likes

Even if he didnt say it categorically he certainly meant it given his reply to me. Regardless, I dont have to justify myself to anyone.

Some on this forum demand 10 do this sort of stuff, then bitche and moan about all the little shit that is so inconsequential to the bigger picture.

I’m honestly surprised no one panned 10 for not having a stupid gimmick like 9… or a dick head in a green blazer like 7.

I thought Hamish was a bad choice. Not least of which because he’s very partisan.

1 Like

Rubbish. The 6:30 half-hours get bumper ratings in an era when networks are ratings-starved pretty much all night.

1 Like

I don’t know how you manage to stick around here sometimes with some of these critiques! A lot of eye-rolling I’d imagine.

Nonetheless, there was no harm done whatsoever in 10 giving it a shot. Even if the ratings sucked it wouldn’t have cost them that much money and every little bit helps when it comes to lifting their profile in the news arena after it was sabotaged by the previous management. While I appreciate the skepticism of many of those on here in regards to how long CBS will hold out with these sorts of experiments, they wouldn’t have purchased the network in the first place if they weren’t happy to commit to trying to turn the place around in the long run.

13 Likes

I have closed the poll and despite the low ratings for 10, it was equal to the ABC in terms of quality of coverage.

Regardless of ratings (which does not consider social media interaction) I think every network did a great job at delivering the coverage this election. I particularly have to commend 10 for there effort this election, 7 for producing visually appealing graphics and making the set look decent for once, and 9 for getting some big names to lead the coverage.

On a side note, how refreshing does Sky’s graphics look without that stupid black ticker.

9 Likes

Fantastic looking set.

17 Likes

7 had a fantastic set, 9 was using Argumented Reality Graphics for their coverage as well as ABC

2 Likes

As was 10…

1 Like

She’s back in Australia to cover the election.

1 Like

Yikes!

Sorry, didn’t know that.

Disagree. Wilkinson being nowhere near 10s coverage was the right call. She has brought nothing to 10 but fluff pieces. Utilising Sandra Sully better should have been a priority.

2 Likes

I disagree, man. It’s a no-brainer. If Lisa is good enough for Nines coverage, she’s good enough for 10. She is a well-known face. Well-trusted.

4 Likes

ABC Media release

ABC the nation’s leading destination for federal election coverage

More Australians turned to the ABC for federal election coverage than any other network.

After delivering the most comprehensive local and national coverage throughout the federal election campaign, the ABC was the nation’s leading destination for election news on Saturday.

ABC television coverage across the main channel and the ABC NEWS channel was the most watched, with a network metro prime-time share of 30.6%.

Digital audiences also soared and the ABC’s radio coverage reached listeners across Australia.

Other headline audience results:

• ABC main channel was the top primary channel of the night and ABC NEWS the top multi-channel
  • The ABC NEWS live stream on iview achieved a record 300,000 plays
  • Users of the ABC News website and app were the second highest on record yesterday (behind the 2016 US Election), considerably above the 2016 Federal Election results
  • Vote Compass had 1.6 million completes, ahead of the 2016 federal election result of 1.2 million
  • 14,000 questions have been submitted to You Ask, We Answer

Poll night was the culmination of five weeks of on the ground coverage, with the ABC’s news, radio and regional teams reporting from across Australia’s 151 electorates.

During the campaign the ABC did more than 60 election-related outside broadcasts, visiting dozens of communities in every state and territory.

Teams hitting the road included ABC Radio, Audio Current Affairs, the 7pm News, The Drum, News Breakfast, triple j’s Hack and Q&A.

2 Likes