Federal Election 2019 - Media Coverage

It’s awesome how 10 managed to call the election 50 minutes before the ABC did. It shows the importance of talent, particularly in the political journalism space.

Well done! Despite the ratings, I think it’s a barometer for good things to come.

5 Likes

From Newscorp:

Jones rants after stunning personal win:

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/radio/alan-jones-fires-up-and-pats-himself-on-the-back-for-calling-election/news-story/550aeb03028ddbf8070d75d95fcc84eb

1 Like

ABC Opener and Closer:

5 Likes

That is a brilliant opener.

1 Like

The Aus has a good breakdown of the ratings for the night:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/aunty-takes-poll-position-in-election-coverage/news-story/c451ee862b0a1492889863486ada41a6

2 Likes

7 can’t be happy with that result and you would think that they need to workshop a different approach to their election coverage. Michael Usher is a great host and Mark Riley’s commentary is important but as a double header it doesn’t work.

They need to reflect on the reasoning for having commentators like Alan Jones and Jeff Kennett on their panel when the ABC, 9 and 10 only had recent or current politicians. Also, the idea of finishing at 6.45pm did them no wonders for the news, with viewers seemingly switching over to 9 and boostering up their average across the 6pn hour. Nine won (easily) in Sydney and Melbourne and they even won in Adelaide.

It would be good if Seven did something completely different for their election coverage or at least produced like The Latest.

4 Likes

A friend of Kerry Stokes and on the board of Seven West Media. That’s why he was there.

1 Like

It should be Michael Usher & Mel Doyle hosting as a duo with Mark Riley on the panel. I feel he doesn’t get to provide much insight or examine results when he’s hosting because he’s too busy asking questions and crossing to people. Doyle & Usher would be a formidable duo. Mel’s hosted three elections and is more than capable (2007, 2010 and in 2013 played a different role, not hosting on the panel but was involved).

I also feel that it isn’t advertised enough. They should be advertising all through the election campaign and provide a decent promo like their 2010 one which you can find on YouTube.

All ratings for networks are down. More and more people would be watching on a device, or even streaming. So I don’t think that anyone should just be looking at TV ratings.

4 Likes

I think these things work better with one host and many commentators. The ABC coverage worked better with Leigh Sales driving the bus and the commentators filling in most of the commentary.

I would have had Michael Usher hosting and asking Mark Riley for all the commentary. They way it was, it seemed like they kept trying to talk over each other.

5 Likes

Does anyone have any clips/links of Nine’s 2016 federal election coverage? I can’t find anything on YouTube.

Here:

1 Like

I know it’s probably already been said, but can I please confirm Nine, Seven, 10 and the ABC went past midnight with their election coverage? I’m doing up some numbers for tonight’s podcast and want an accurate number based on when everyone was in election mode so I am working on 7pm - midnight. Would this be a fair analysis?

Thanks, Rob

2 Likes

Way past midnight.

2 Likes

Just so you know, these are the times that each network ended their Federal Election coverage on Sunday morning.

10 News First: 12.21am
ABC (and SBS): 12.25am
Seven: 12.30am
Nine: 12.35am

Not sure what time Sky News clocked off though.

7 Likes

They’re still going. They feel so vindicated none of them have slept.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, this really helps. I think 7pm - midnight works for this. Cheers!

2 Likes

For those interested I’ve just posted the ratings from 7pm - midnight on my twitter feed (I know we’re not allowed to post them here). The figures were calculated ignoring coding but using 7pm - midnight AEST (i.e. 6.30 - 11.30pm in SA) and excluded local news inserts.

2 Likes

Sky News kept going to (roughly) 12:58am.

1 Like

The Australian pointed out something which wasn’t picked up on election night - Antony Green is now the ABC’s ‘Chief Election Analyst’ after being promoted a few weeks ago. The promotion came:

…after a recent performance review ­apparently found that Green had over-delivered on all of his performance hurdles.

5 Likes

Apologies for not posting 8 days ago but here is the Nine Election Coverage commencing from 1:00:00 onwards after Nine News. If people wanted to catch up, here’s the link. https://youtu.be/d47NV6qKYAw

4 Likes