Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

ABC didn’t rely on too many gimmicks, apart from Rowland, and I felt it did really well because it was actually a smart and intelligent broadcast. We got to see Morrison’s more relaxed side for a while and Crabb was great. Obviously Rowland was just there to give downstairs a chance to reorganise and rest for a few minutes.

And the set was great. Big, open, and not to busy. It was a bit dull and lifeless but it still added an element of authority to the broadcast.

I think the people who were complaining about the ABC being too dry weren’t paying too much attention. Crabb made a penis joke within the first 30 minutes of the program and the panel basically lost the plot by the sixth hour. It was endearing to see the normal boring and rigid professionalism of the ABC break down as they and the audience grew tired and stunned at the results. Leigh especially had some moments, especially when she was growing tired and had to sarcastically handle Morrison going postal on postal.

Overall it was a mix of the BBC’s and CBC’s coverage for their own respective national elections and it really worked. The Drum broadcast after with Borgo and the background of the production crew packing up the atrium was a nice touch too.

3 Likes

Agreed. As usual, the ABC was the best. And Michael’s 3D set was professional and visually engaging, but not distracting so did it’s job really well.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. This bloke has lurched so far to the right it isn’t funny. He was crying in his weet bix over the poor showing of the conservatives. For someone of his age his extreme conservatism is quite worrying. He seems hell bent on pushing a continual extreme right wing agenda.

3 Likes

Graphics were too small and unreadable for those with poor eyesight.

ten’s primary share is up on 2013 Federal election but down in overall share but not by much. They would’ve got beaten by News 24 anyway even if they aired news

Having the top program on the network at #15 with only just over 300k viewers is not what I would call a successful night in the ratings for Ten.

IMO, last night’s ratings with news coverage dominating most of the Top 20 proves that Ten need to run full coverage for the next Federal Election. In this day and age, alternative Election Night programing should be purely reserved for multichannels.

3 Likes

Where are the ratings published? Can’t find the.

Edit: nevermind, TVTonight has them. Congratulations to the ABC.

So… We could have a hung parliament again, counting not set to continue until Tuesday.

All networks will be frantically covering this over the next few days, shows like The Project should also be good.

I hear ratings were down again, with ABC the clear winner. Seven were always going to suffer withoit Melbourne (AFL telecast) watching on main channel…

I watched (except during the footy) Ch 9’s coverage & really enjoyed it :slight_smile: What a performance by Labor/Shorten.

Nine’s Package (SD)

Opener:

Set:

1 Like

Video of ABC and SBS openers

1 Like

She interrupted Scott Morrison just as much as she did with Penny Wong…

To be honest though and Firetorch touched upon this earlier, neither were as good as politicians (eg; Stephen Smith) who were part of previous election broadcasts. Both were far too interested in political point scoring rather than providing insights into what their scrutineers and staffers are telling them about the count

1 Like

Nine’s Package (SD)

Graphics:

2 Likes

Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at the election coverage with a few clips from the various satellite feeds seen throughout the night:

4 Likes

9’s presentation was probably more integrated and coordinated overall however I found visually it was all too “white”. I didn’t think the panel was any better, or worse, than 7s.

Stunned.

1 Like

Don’t u just love the right wing commentators like bolt, jones, Murray and Kenny frothing at the mouth at the election result and eating their own!!!

4 Likes

Did anybody catch Prime7’s election special?

@SydneyCityTV mentioned this the other day. Did anyone in the Prime7 viewing area record it?

I wonder if the MP’s were ‘conservative’ in their commentary because they thought there’s a chance there might be, another election :stuck_out_tongue: