Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

I’d appreciate anyone uploading Ten’s coverage of Turnbull’s address- It’s really interesting to see how they are managing their resources at a time (well past midnight on a Sunday morning) when on a normal day the newsroom would be desolate.

Was flicking between stations. The ABC was very dry and difficult to stick with. I preferred Seven’s panelists and analysis to Nine’s but those gimmicks Seven had like the Tower of Power and Departure Lounge were utter, utter rubbish.

1 Like

lmao o k

3 Likes

Laurie Oakes was great as usual but every time I turned to Nine, their other panelists were arguing and talking over each other. At one stage four were trying to talk over each other and the hosts were having trouble keeping them in line.

2 Likes

As opposed to Jones and McGrath having a screaming match while name calling and Lambie going on some bizarre rant at Bishop when they crossed to her?

Seven’s coverage was comical. GimmicKs galore, a host who let Jones rule the roost, capped off with a car chase.

5 Likes

Paul Murray lol
Takes over the Sky coverage at 1am.

1 Like

But that was entertaining. :laughing:

You obviously enjoyed it if you kept watching it until the awful car chase. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I didn’t watch Sevens coverage but just hearing that they did a car chase makes it the clear coverage winner :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

11 Likes

Good to see him still doing things with Politics. Wondered where he was because you could bet a few years ago, he’d be easily spotted on Ten coverage!

or what about the 7 Predictor. So cringeworthy!

3 Likes

Lots of ranting about Seven here, understandable on this site, but let’s focus on where Australians actually expect to receive high quality election coverage - the ABC.

They didn’t get it tonight.

What a horrid broadcast. The set, for all that was made of the Ultimo HQ interior, was dark, lifeless, captured none of the occasion of election night.

Leigh Sales…I’ve said many times on here how terrible she is at hosting 7.30. I was hoping, having heard that she would be joint hosting with Chris tonight, that that’s what we’d get. Unfortunately not. She was front and centre and horrible as usual. Inaccurate, giggly, lack of focus as the night wore on.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, we had her sidekick Annabel on there to lower the tone too. Someone should tell her she isn’t as clever as she thinks she is.

And to top it off, we had Wong and Morrison on there, arguing and looking to score political points at every opportunity. What a disappointment from the insightful commentary we used to get from, for example, Steve Smith.

I noticed during the broadcast, Crabb tweeted about the gender balance on the ABC panel - yeah awesome, let’s ignore the dogshit coverage and celebrate that. Slow clap for Annabel.

A massive, MASSIVE step down from the days of Kerry hosting.

As a result, I switched over to Nine many times during the night (and I avoid Nine and Seven like the plague on election night).

Nine was BY FAR the most superior of all channels. Excellent commentary from Laurie. Excellent minds from both sides of politics - Peter C and Kim B. Great having Albo on for most of the night too. Karl and Lisa professional. AWESOME set. Great graphics. Detailed seat breakdowns and results at the crucial times, even when the ABC was just blabbering amongst themselves or stuck in interviews.

As for Seven - complete shit. Graphics were awful. Hated the tower of power (at least the Crusher barely featured on Nine). Crappy assortment of guests - Alan Jones, Lambie, really? And Mark Riley, enough to turn anyone off.

[quote=“JBar, post:331, topic:1122, full:true”]
I preferred Seven’s panelists [/quote]

Haha back you up there. What a joke.

3 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:328, topic:1122”]
Rest assured that I have recorded all of Nine’s coverage but understandably, it might take some time to get the best screencaps from about seven hours of coverage.
[/quote] Mate, I have got a few from Nine so we will see what we can bring together.

It won hands down when it came to entertainment value - it was trash TV at its best and I love a bit of trash tv.

Agree. I can’t stand Stefanovic and can give and take Wilkinson but they did an impressive job hosting and the Nine panelist actually gave some insightful commentary.

Can’t believe I’m about to type this but Credlin was impressive on SKY.

6 Likes

[quote=“Mischievous1, post:343, topic:1122”]
Agree. I can’t stand Stefanovic and can give and take Wilkinson but they did an impressive job hosting and the Nine panelist actually gave some insightful commentary.
[/quote] Both Stefanovic and Wilkinson did a superb job at hosting ( delivered a freshness that they have been missing on Today) and the panel was well mapped out. Ben Fordham and Ross Greenwood however were amateurish and really a waste of time.

3 Likes

I saw bits of election coverage in between the encore of MasterChef masterclass and the AFL. ABC is still the best but its prediction was unbelievable (how could they put the Coalition so much in front)? Predictions on the commercial channels were far more conservative putting Labor and Coalition neck and neck. Nine’s graphics were fresh. Seven’s graphics were still bulky and gimmicky but they improved a bit from the 2013 election, and they managed to grab an exclusive with the car chase after Alan Jones urged Turnbull to come out of his house and face the party faithful.
Given all the coverage finished after midnight in the eastern states it will be interesting to see how it is reflected in the ratings.

2 Likes

I watched the ABC which have the best coverage as usual. Sky News have too much graphics which I’m not a fan of. Didn’t watch any of the commercial networks at all last night.

1 Like

ABC trounced the opposition with their election coverage in the ratings. Massive numbers on both main channel and News 24. Nine a distant second. Seven way back and ten were non existent with their so called alternate programming. Ten beaten by News 24 …hahahahaah. Ten are fucked and only have themselves to blame.

6 Likes

Agree with this 100%

The crosses to Greenwood and Fordham were comical at best. But perhaps that was the point. IMO only one of them should have been there for that purpose and that should have been Greenwood.

On another note. What’s with the Sky team thinking their shit don’t stink when really they are a pack of knobs. They remind me of those kids in school who think they are top dog and go and do their own thing only to not realise no one else cares. And Paul Murray. What a joke.

4 Likes

its the same today. i’ve got sky on at the moment and on my 32" tv some of those graphics are almost unreadable being so small.

i was flicking though the various channels last night and the ABC was honestly the best. Wong and Morrison were fantastic on the panel.

1 Like