Federal Election 2016 Media Coverage

Why not the following?

• AEST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, The Election Project at 6pm - covering exit polls, the fluff that Seven and Nine would have been peddling for an hour already; run a film up until 9pm and then come in with (hopefully) a result
  • ACST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, The Election Project at 5.30pm, film until 8:30
  • AWST: Eyewitness News at 5pm, filler until 7pm
2 Likes

Studio 10 could have done something. They did a pretty good job covering the SA election a few years ago

4 Likes

I thought you were saying “right whinger”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They did nothing during the 2000s and rated quite well. TV Cynic posted the figures for previous elections somewhere.

Ten aren’t known for Election coverage and the demos are all out getting wasted anyway.

So what? They still should be doing something. We are a democracy and viewers need to be informed by multiple news services.

Times have changed and the TV landscape has changed.

This thread is about media coverage, not the personal political preferences of forum members nor is it a debate about federal politics (that belongs in this thread).

Off topic posts have been removed.

ABC, Sky News, Seven, Nine. Plenty to go around.

Even The Chaser promo makes reference to movies on Ten.

https://twitter.com/ABCTV/status/735793192709169152

…and I’m sure there will be plenty of alternative programing on the multichannels come Federal Election night for those who really don’t want to watch the coverage! :wink:

But some people would prefer ten. Waleed and Hugh are better than many of the others on other networks.

The multi channels can air movies and alternate programming

2 Likes

the ratings says otherwise for 2013

Of course since 2013, analogue TV has been switched off completely (was still running in a few markets at the time of the last Federal Election), more multichannels have been launched and the proliferation of online streaming services has exploded. But I guess we’ll ignore that…

There are NO excuses for Ten not to be doing some sort of coverage of the 2016 Federal Election (or any major news event that warrants extended/rolling coverage outside of regular bulletins, but that’s for another topic) as far as I’m concerned. Alternative programing should be left purely for the multichannels, of which there are plenty on free to air TV let alone Pay TV.

1 Like

It’s not about ratings. It’s about offering a service and branding. They pay a licence fee for public airwaves and therefore should provide the public with a news and information service.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more cmo. It’s as silly as the SMH saying…oh we won’t have sports reports, or a weather page today, because the Daily Tele has one.

3 Likes

Ideally this would be good. Unfortunately you don’t get the premium content that airs on the main channel moved to multichannels. It’s pretty rare these days to get any premium content on multichannels. Look at the crap that airs on ONE and ELEVEN on Saturdays. Star Trek lol

One possible way to stand out would be for The Project to run commercial free (or with limited breaks). That would have to be promoted well ahead of the night of course :smirk:

Riiight - but let me guess, you won’t apply this same reasoning to what Ten actually will be showing in it’s place, will you? Tell me - with most movies online, who really wants to watch a bunch of advertisements dispersed in a 20 year old children’s movie at 6:30pm? There’s no need for it? :wink:

The coverage online feeds off what is broadcast on TV - in an age where live TV rates, where FTA TV stations have almost become rolling news sources, not covering a federal election is so unbelievable stupid.

5 Likes

I disagree. They occupy public airwaves. It should be used to inform the public.

Have you seen what Ten air on Saturday nights? Complete and utter rubbish that is not watched as it is. They can do the election project. It isn’t going to rate any worse than what they have their now anyway.

1 Like

ABC TV line up for election day 2 July

and

All AEST

4:00pm Australia Votes: Nationwide Live
With only two hours until polls close in the Eastern States, ABC presents a fast-paced special criss-crossing the nation with live updates from polling stations as Australia Votes.

5:00pm ABC News On Election Night

5:30pm Australia Votes: Election Night Live

11:00pm The Drum: Election After Party
After the votes have been counted and Election night parties wind down, Julia Baird and a panel of die-hard political pundits and commentators dissect the results and the talking points of Election Day in a Drum special.

11:45pm ABC News - ABC24 only

5pm News then 5.30 show start is early for the ABC!